Conflicting info on watering coco

• Thread starter Custom45
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Custom45

Custom45

Apologies if this has been posted/discussed already..

I've read Aquamans Ccoco watering guide and lots of articles on the coco for cannabis website, advice and information there appears to really conflict with what's on the Canna Coco website.

Aquamans guide is about frequent fertigations, keeping the coco constantly saturated, whereas Canna say you should allow it to dry between feed/watering or you're at risk of root rot etc.

Why is the advice so conflicting? You'd think Canna know what they're talking about and would give the best advice so you get the best out of your grow and keep coming back for their products.

DarkCoast

DarkCoast

You should never let your coco medium completely dry out. Water frequency will really depend on your container size and overall style of growing. Some people treat coco like soil; using 3-5 gallon containers and not watering as often.

I personally treat coco like hydro using 1-2 gallon containers, keeping my medium wet with 4-12 waterings throughout the day. I aim for 40% dry backs overnight.

Custom45

Custom45

Yep, that's the advice I'm following, currently watering once every day at lights and not letting it dry out at all, aiming for 10-20% run off. Planning on an auto feed system for next grow so I can water several times a day.

Was just wondering why advice was so conflicting. Why do Canna, who are meant to know what they're talking about say let it dry or risk root rot, yet growers who know their stuff and have many successful grows under their belt say otherwise?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Why do Canna, who are meant to know what they're talking about say let it dry or risk root rot, yet growers who know their stuff and have many successful grows under their belt say otherwise?
Canna wants you to buy more so already you know they are biased and will say what they think will net them the largest profit.

Coco absorbs magnesium and so I never allow it in an organic grow because it throws the rest of it off and you get issues.

Custom45

Custom45

Canna wants you to buy more so already you know they are biased and will say what they think will net them the largest profit.

Coco absorbs magnesium and so I never allow it in an organic grow because it throws the rest of it off and you get issues.

Doesn't Canna's way (allowing coco to partially dry) use less nutrients though?

iTurniGrow

iTurniGrow

I'm watering my Coco 6 times a day at the min. It's always wet. I even have aquas exact build

It's like hydro. So quick.
Had a light leak and potential hermied plants but they all reverted back to female . Never seen it before.

Always keep it wet, always get run off. Don't worry about how much you water either at one time, it only holds a maximum amount regardless of what goes through it, got this all explained to me from Aqua

Kevuk

Kevuk

Coco is hydro.

At least 2 heavy watering a day. Roots need the oxygen.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I use dirt but all I know about coco is it holds water much longer.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

I've read Aquamans Ccoco watering guide and lots of articles on the coco for cannabis website, advice and information there appears to really conflict with what's on the Canna Coco website.

Aquamans guide is about frequent fertigations, keeping the coco constantly saturated, whereas Canna say you should allow it to dry between feed/watering or you're at risk of root rot etc.

Why is the advice so conflicting? You'd think Canna know what they're talking about and would give the best advice so you get the best out of your grow and keep coming back for their products.

Did Canna post a definition of "dry" with their recommendations. Not throwing shade just saying your definition and theirs may be different. To me dry is what comes out the clothes dryer, to others it may be the difference in saturated and moist.

Custom45

Custom45

I guess that could be the difference, yeah. They do say to water every day and give it a fair bit. It's sentence slike this that they use that throw me off...

" It is recommended that the grower keeps the medium a bit dry rather than soaking wet. "

"Once the coco has become too wet, reduce or pause watering until the coco has dried out and then start normal watering again. "

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Been in coco for 10 years, single daily feeds in 9 liter pots gets me 1/4 to 3/4 pound plants depending on veg time, once on full flower. Pot to plant size along with the grade of coco using considered.
DSCN0821
DSCN0827
DSCN0893

Dye

Dye

I love coco been using for a long time early 2000, I use them with auto pots..
coco you do not want to dry totally and coco does not hold the fert, like soil, so more hydro approach with coco is cool.
I recycle the coco in my outdoor bins for outside grows, stuffs great and bug free and clean.
I buy a few bricks and some vermiculite and I am good for the winter.
I keep it simple.

Madmax

Madmax

Im still in reasonably sized pots in 4 gals but have been pleasantly suprised that i dont have to water more than once giving them 3litres a day.i had to water between 4 to 6 litres in 5 gals watering once but had some probs with salts buildup...no such problems in 4 gal.feeding under 600ppm too and runoff never exceeds the feed..
Im amased your only watering once @MidwestToker .how dry is the coco getting between feeds

Cheers max

Billymgb

Billymgb

I guess that could be the difference, yeah. They do say to water every day and give it a fair bit. It's sentence slike this that they use that throw me off...

" It is recommended that the grower keeps the medium a bit dry rather than soaking wet. "

"Once the coco has become too wet, reduce or pause watering until the coco has dried out and then start normal watering again. "
When you let coco dry out, Thats when you will have problems. I water 3x a day now and have no problems.

Tuckgrows

Tuckgrows

We run thousands of plants in coco and run some what dry period in our plants. We water until they runoff a fair amount every few days. Is there any science for/against the dry period anyone could share?

N1ghtL1ght

N1ghtL1ght

Staff
Supporter
We run thousands of plants in coco and run some what dry period in our plants. We water until they runoff a fair amount every few days. Is there any science for/against the dry period anyone could share?
Amount of perlite & quality of the coco influences how or if roots can retain their access to oxygen after watering.
Less water equates more atmosphere in the substrate.
The substrates innate water matrix potential dictates how long roots have access to free water before water stress sets in.

You see alot of overwatered coco plants here, esp. young early veg plants. Followed by deficiencies yellowing and hanging leaves.

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

I'm doing my first coco grow and following the cocoforcannabis guide. Everything is working well - my biggest problem is my plants got too big! I had to swap tents at the start of flower stretch for a taller one.

I did 4x daily feedings of 30 seconds each through a lot of vegetation, but switched to 5x before flowering. Still doing 5x now. Four plants in a 4x4 tent with a 600w LED. They have filled the tent completely, and also look amazingly healthy. I got 18 oz's from my last crop in soil, and this looks like it will be noticeably bigger.

I'm using 3.5 gallon air pots and Roots organics Soilless, Organic Coco Mix for Hydroponics with Beneficial Mycorrhizae, 1.5 Cubic Foot Bag. Following GH nute charts and diluting a bit from there. DTW just like cocoforcannabis.

My plants grew very quickly. See my post Explosive Growth in Coco Coir.

Chip.Douglas

Chip.Douglas

Yep, that's the advice I'm following, currently watering once every day at lights and not letting it dry out at all, aiming for 10-20% run off. Planning on an auto feed system for next grow so I can water several times a day.

Was just wondering why advice was so conflicting. Why do Canna, who are meant to know what they're talking about say let it dry or risk root rot, yet growers who know their stuff and have many successful grows under their belt say otherwise?
You can get a rainpoint system for 40 bucks I bought one works great I only check on my girls once weekly now hard part about auto irrigation is getting the timing right and amount it feeds

mango420

mango420

check out some articles on crop steering. I started looking more into it when I tried out Hugo blocks. There’s more than 1 way to grow in coco for sure. daily multi waterings I’ve found to be the best but you do want to get a certain percentage of dry backs daily, especially when flipping to flower and through stretch. If you dial in the dry backs in those first few weeks you can significantly shorten the internode length and quicken the switch from veg growth to flower growth. That’s why a lot of guys have gone with a lot smaller pots in coco, I’m in 1.5 gals now, which hopefully I can control the moisture content better and get in 4 plus feeds a day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom