Container Size

• Thread starter JJP53
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JJP53

What is the best size container to grow in I've been told #15 are best.

St3ve

St3ve

Depends.. how big of plants are you going to grow, and what is your lighting?

J

JJP53

I have a 1000w under a xxxl hood and for plants I was planning on 3 maybe 4 feet tall. I was told that a plant will grow as wide as the container that it is in is this true?

St3ve

St3ve

On average, 2 gal per foot so a 8-10 gallon should be more than enough.

In nature, yes the roots will grow out to the dripline to catch rainwater falling from the leaves. That doesn't matter as much here.. I've grown 4' tall and 2' wide plants in a 6" pot before.

T

TheVenusflytrap

always go for deeper pots than wider roots from a pot plant like to travel down side roots are more support than nutrient uptake deeper deeper deeper lol guess it sounds gay

waayne

waayne

always go for deeper pots than wider roots from a pot plant like to travel down side roots are more support than nutrient uptake deeper deeper deeper lol guess it sounds gay
TheVenusflytrap I think your information is more accurate regarding trees
I'm not so sure your information is accurate when it comes to Cannabis.......

Wider containers encourage more lateral root growth which in turn encourages lateral branching on most strains....

I suggest looking at some of GrowMasters threads if you want to see what production is like with a wide shallow root system......
He uses beds and gets phenomenal results.

J

JCashman

Wider containers encourage more lateral root growth which in turn encourages lateral branching on most strains....

I suggest looking at some of GrowMasters threads if you want to see what production is like with a wide shallow root system......

thanks for that. i know i'm not the OP, but i was actually considering this as in some places height is indeed becoming an issue, i just wasn't sure if it work

TY!

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter

:yes

What he said.

T

TheVenusflytrap

:yes

What he said.
well what makes a cannabis plants roots different from a tree cuz ill tell u what i got some that might as well be a small sapling lol so i agree to disagree everyone has their own techniques wider pots take up more space also try to find square pots opposed to circles much love big purple smelly donkeys

T

TheVenusflytrap

if i was stupid enough to put pics up here i would show ya what a deep narrow container can do man iam knocking 3 zips a plant on pure sativa bro...... iam doing somthing right i am a grow master lol dont let this dumb little junior farmer thing fool u its for the birds

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
Point 1)
Some roots can grow as deep as the tree is high. The majority of roots on most plants are however found relatively close to the surface where nutrient availability and aeration are more favorable for growth. Rooting depth may be physically restricted by rock or compacted soil close below the surface, or by anaerobic soil conditions.

Point 2)
A fibrous root system (sometimes also called adventitious root system) is the opposite of a taproot system. It is usually formed by thin, moderately branching roots growing from the stem. A fibrous root system is universal in monocotyledonous plants and ferns.

Most trees begin life with a taproot, but after one to a few years change to a wide-spreading fibrous root system with mainly horizontal surface roots and only a few vertical, deep anchoring roots. A typical mature tree 30-50 m tall has a root system that extends horizontally in all directions as far as the tree is tall or more, but well over 95% of the roots are in the top 50 cm depth of soil.

I hope this helps. I'm about ready for bed but I'll dig up more relevant info when I find the time.

FJ

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

Point 1)
Some roots can grow as deep as the tree is high. The majority of roots on most plants are however found relatively close to the surface where nutrient availability and aeration are more favorable for growth. Rooting depth may be physically restricted by rock or compacted soil close below the surface, or by anaerobic soil conditions.

Point 2)
A fibrous root system (sometimes also called adventitious root system) is the opposite of a taproot system. It is usually formed by thin, moderately branching roots growing from the stem. A fibrous root system is universal in monocotyledonous plants and ferns.

Most trees begin life with a taproot, but after one to a few years change to a wide-spreading fibrous root system with mainly horizontal surface roots and only a few vertical, deep anchoring roots. A typical mature tree 30-50 m tall has a root system that extends horizontally in all directions as far as the tree is tall or more, but well over 95% of the roots are in the top 50 cm depth of soil.

I hope this helps. I'm about ready for bed but I'll dig up more relevant info when I find the time.

FJ

Dam FJ, Reading your post reminded me of sitting in one of my plant or soil sciances classes. :)

lazarus718

lazarus718

if i was stupid enough to put pics up here i would show ya what a deep narrow container can do man iam knocking 3 zips a plant on pure sativa bro...... iam doing somthing right i am a grow master lol dont let this dumb little junior farmer thing fool u its for the birds

Wow dude, you must be some God I've never heard of...

Latest posts

Top Bottom