Container Size

• Thread starter dorjewright
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
dorjewright

dorjewright

ive started 4 Delicious Seed varieties All are 55+/- day medium size hybrid strains. Northern blue light,
Black Russian, Sugar Candy and Sugar Black Rose (a 100% indica).
I'm on the fence 3 or 5 gallon smart pots? I prefer 3s- easier to manage but I want to be sure of at least a pound from 9 Sugar Candys. I don't have a lot of head room and will flip when they are about a foot to 16" tall.
The reason I ask is My yields have been less than a lb per 1000w for varieties like Purple Cadillac and Kens GDP all low yielding indicas. Wondering if my 3gal container has also been a limiting factor.
Sugar Candy is supposidly a high yielder, 600gs sq meter so I don't want to choke'm with too small a pot.
I use GO nutes and teas in soil.

AnimalMutha

AnimalMutha

When I ran a 1000, back in the day, it was 5 5gal pots per 1000. Maybe 6 max. Agree with cannabeans. More space, more roots more yield.

dorjewright

dorjewright

When I ran a 1000, back in the day, it was 5 5gal pots per 1000. Maybe 6 max. Agree with cannabeans. More space, more roots more yield.
I can't let them get too large anyway; max 2 1/2 after the stretch. So that's the first limit.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Go bigger! 5 gallon minimum! I also use a 1000watt. Noticed a huge difference going from #5 pots (which are only 4 gallon) to #10 pots.

Better bud structure, definitely.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've used 3.7g and 4.7gal.pots, 4.7 yeilder more all the time

organix4207

organix4207

The bigger the roots the bigger the fruits .....
Now this is somewhat medium dependent. With 3 gallons of coco you could grow some big girls !!

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Depends on your medium...with coco/Rockwool less is more so that you can maximize the water uptake by the plant (multiple wet dry cycles per day)

With soil or soil blends always go bigger. I've pulled 1/2 lb + bushes out of 3 gal coco pots and Hugo blocks but the big soil plants were always 7 gal+

dorjewright

dorjewright

Go bigger! 5 gallon minimum! I also use a 1000watt. Noticed a huge difference going from #5 pots (which are only 4 gallon) to #10 pots.

Better bud structure, definitely.
9 girls under a 1000. 3x3 in a 4.5x4.5 space. That's another limit; the other being 2.5" tall max.
So I can't let them get very big to begin with.

Last edited:
We Solidarity

We Solidarity

9 girls under a 1000. 3x3 in a 4.5x4.5 space. That's another limit; the other being 2.5" tall max.

you could grow a 2.5 foot plant beautifully in 1 gallon of coco.

shemshemet

shemshemet

Let them touch 3 walls of the 4.5x4.5 space. This will give you 4.5x3 which is better suited for the 1000 watt. Otherwise I'd downgrade to a 600 watt. If you want supplemental lighting with the 600 go LED.

2.5' tall max??? as in from light to ground?

Gotta get a scrog going if that's the case as well. I found my 10 gallons not much taller than my plastic #5

dorjewright

dorjewright

Let them touch 3 walls of the 4.5x4.5 space. This will give you 4.5x3 which is better suited for the 1000 watt. Otherwise I'd downgrade to a 600 watt. If you want supplemental lighting with the 600 go LED.

2.5' tall max??? as in from light to ground?

Gotta get a scrog going if that's the case as well. I found my 10 gallons not much taller than my plastic #5
Top of pot to top of plant.

MGRox

MGRox

The chosen pot size that individuals tend to settle into, leans more toward their particular watering and feeding practices / preferences; than specifically size vs yield. But yea more roots equals more yield for sure as said already.

Guess my setup is pretty darn similar in terms of "plants per unit area" and height. However I run 600w in that relative space (600w over 4x4,).
I run 3 liter air pots using coir / peat mediums with chemical nutes. Regular averages are from 45 to 55 depending on strain.

You should be able to hit your goal in anything larger than (and including) 3 liter; with good yielding strains. Since you have that much space, light and assuming high yielding genetics; neither of your possible pot sizes would be your limiting factor. Could it be possible some other factors in your environment or setup / operation may not be optimal?

Top Bottom