Containing light leaks....

• Thread starter Danksgiving
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Danksgiving

Danksgiving

so it seems like no matter what i do, some light always manages to find its way through some crack or crevice. right now its the corners of the bottom and top of the door and a small crack where a wire goes through the wall... does any one have any tips or tricks. I've tried duct tape, spray foam insulation, door sweeps, speckling paste, rubber and foam window insulation i can't seem to get everything sealed up perfect, any advice would be great. will post a picture soon.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

so it seems like no matter what i do, some light always manages to find its way through some crack or crevice. right now its the corners of the bottom and top of the door and a small crack where a wire goes through the wall... does any one have any tips or tricks. I've tried duct tape, spray foam insulation, door sweeps, speckling paste, rubber and foam window insulation i can't seem to get everything sealed up perfect, any advice would be great. will post a picture soon.
...can you post up a few pics? ...that would make visualizing your situation and then imagining solutions much easier.

...also, it's worth noting that the light leak that will damage your crop is the light leaking INTO your budding chamber, the light leaking OUT of your budding chamber is only important for security reasons, i myself grow in a tent in a room i keep closed and dark so light leaks are of no concern to me.

peace, bozo

...that has not always been the case though, lol, so post up your pics and i'll see if i can offer any helpful ideas.

Danksgiving

Danksgiving

so these are the leaks I'm most concerned about, though the door kinda glows and that freaks me out a bit. but its all so dim my camera barely picks up any light... i don't think i can block off ALL the light that comes into the room but i was thinking that i could maybe somehow cover that corner of the room to block the light from getting back there... i don't have the best genetics right now, and have had bad luck with hermies in the past so i am doing everything i can to prevent any light leaks, i really want to make sure there is zero light during the dark cycle
Photo 1
Photo 2

Natural

Natural

get a roll of black/white poly..staple it to cover the walls and ceilings. then you can hang a loose piece on the outside of the door.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

get a roll of black/white poly..staple it to cover the walls and ceilings. then you can hang a loose piece on the outside of the door.
...yeah, what he said, ...in other words, leave a flap that flolds over the light leaks and you can use velcro if you need to to hold it in place.

Panda Film White & Black Poly Film - 10' x 25' (6 Mil)
http://www.amazon.com/Panda-Film-Wh...&qid=1394371169&sr=8-6&keywords=panda+plastic

...it also comes in 10' x 100' rolls and you can even get 10' x 10' sheets if you look around.

peace, bozo

J

Jalisco Kid

HD has a good door sweep,it is the one made of brass. A towel if not conspicuous works just as well on the other side.That leak though would not bother my girls. Insulation foam in a can then sprayed with Black paint(once it is good and dry) seems to have cured any problems I had with walls. JK

Natural

Natural

HD has a good door sweep,it is the one made of brass. A towel if not conspicuous works just as well on the other side.That leak though would not bother my girls. Insulation foam in a can then sprayed with Black paint(once it is good and dry) seems to have cured any problems I had with walls. JK

good advice..I just don't like his raw drywall...seems like it would invite mold. I've built a few rooms with Panda and it works good.

thunderfudge

thunderfudge

Breeder
And remember ducting allows for light leaks that illuminate hoods during lights off.ALWAYS run extra, and make sure it is non reflective on the inside

Danksgiving

Danksgiving

good advice..I just don't like his raw drywall...seems like it would invite mold. I've built a few rooms with Panda and it works good.

great call i didn't even think of that... i really need to finish the room so it looks good instead of half assed. its just a temporary room only one or two grows before i move to a new place, hopefully in colorado.

And remember ducting allows for light leaks that illuminate hoods during lights off.ALWAYS run extra, and make sure it is non reflective on the inside

there is also a ducting that runs outside in the room its some exhaust fan for the house and it allows a tiny bit of light to leak through some spots I'm gonna work on fixing that ASAP but it shouldn't be that hard.

also im not doing any big or perpetual grow, I'm just doing 3 plants testing the waters and learning as much as i can on a small scale, still not too cool to be growing where i live so I'm not trying to produce just trying to learn. thanks for all the great info guys

Latest posts

Top Bottom