Controlling tall plant height in pots?

• Thread starter Darth
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Darth

Darth

I live in AZ and worktop my first legal patio grow. I have two indica and two sativa strains, four plants total that will be going into 5 gal pots.

Although it’s legal, I want to be discreet and keep the height below our garden wall.
Besides topping, what can I do to keep my sativa under control this summer?

Madmax

Madmax

Grow them like this.top at 3rd node.bend 90 deg then position train and peg lateral out and peg the secondary laterals .once you have trained for so many months you can let them grow up.i trained this bitch 3months got to 2.1 mtrs wide.i let it come up threw a net over it just to hold branches up i did bend a few branches down but kept it at 1.5 high..
Screenshot 20210211 111018
20190320 122419
813130 0a077cc85eb8041c85f6cf6dfeaf4616

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Low or high stress training will do it. The object of your game will be multiple plant tops — the more, the less vertical growth.

With high stress, you are actually damaging the stems by squashing them (the plants will take it in stride and reward you). You can then bend the stem over and hold it there with a twist tie or piece of wire. If you don't hold them in place, they will often straighten back up again. All the growing points along that branch that you bent over will then be stimulated by the direct exposure to light, and they'll all become growing tops/buds.

BTW, if you don't hold the branch at about a 90 degree angle and it straightens up, height of the plant will still be reduced. Squashing a main stem (super-cropping) slows the growth of the main stem, and stimulates the growing points below the stem damage to branch out and grow upward. Again, this will give you multiple plant tops, but not quite as many as bending the branch over and wiring it there.

The only sacrifice, if it can be called that, is you won't have a single, giant cola. I don't like single, giant colas, so it's wouldn't be a sacrifice for me.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you want an easy way to control the height just lay a piece of steel welded wire fencing over top of it. When I use to grow outdoors I would use 4" by 2" from tractor supply or lowes and once they start getting big, throw another piece over top and pancake it. Just what worked for me.

Darth

Darth

Thanks for the replies. I will post some pics as the grow comes along. I like the idea of camouflage fake flowers.

Rooke

Rooke

Thanks for the replies. I will post some pics as the grow comes along. I like the idea of camouflage fake flowers.
Hi there, I like to bend my plants at a 45 degree angle once they’re about 3 ft tall I was told bending to the North works well and believe me it works great. I cage my plants and pull lateral branches through the sides and scrog the top of the cage. I’m in SE Ontario good luck with your grow!!

marshman

marshman

Hi there, I like to bend my plants at a 45 degree angle once they’re about 3 ft tall I was told bending to the North works well and believe me it works great. I cage my plants and pull lateral branches through the sides and scrog the top of the cage. I’m in SE Ontario good luck with your grow!!
Plant them sideways. Don't have to bend anything. Just keep the growing tip above the side branches. Lots of big bud, Try it ? Only get about 6 ' tall

Darth

Darth

I clipped the main branch a week ago. I don’t think I will do any more topping and I will see how it develops. I may tie down the main stems if it starts getting tall.

3E606850 87E6 4FE9 BF09 6969D1E471BE
TwitchVee

TwitchVee

topping, LST, mainlining, training by hand throughout, super-cropping and you can do autos/indicas instead of photoperiods/sativas

marshman

marshman

I clipped the main branch a week ago. I don’t think I will do any more topping and I will see how it develops. I may tie down the main stems if it starts getting tall.
Any time you cut a branch off. you are cutting off oz. of pot that you would harvest. I have turning them on there side for 25 years. You get more and bigger buds. It is a field of big buds and only 6 ' high. You may get two buds from trimming a branch. But you get the same weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom