Will it work

• Yes do it

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No use bottles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Gavg

Gavg

I'm having bad ph problems with heat with this little bit of sun.
So I think this may solve my problems pumping cold air into buckets ,instead of putting ice in buckets disturbing roots.
Cooling hydro system

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I had a similar idea. But running the air line coiled in a bucket of ice water.

Nugg

Nugg

Or...I have small room with air pumps.3-110 lt air-conditioned..also 2 res.

DGP

DGP

I struggled with this for a couple of years and came to the conclusion I was either going to put ice bottles in my reservoirs or buckets (doesn't really work in single bucket DWC) or I was going to have to pay the bucks for a chiller. In the end I got tired of ferrying frozen gallon milk jugs out to the reservoir all the time. Tried pumping cold air in but it was not very effective and for a while just ran the AC hard and kept the room at 70F but that is nt ideal for the growth of the plants.

Went to UC recirculating deep water system so I could chill the water.

My DIY UC build is here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...formance-under-current-for-300-or-less.94487/

Gavg

Gavg

So have decided after the fine advice in this thread to make experiment 3 mark
This being temp
And the recirculator as perm fix aquriuam cooler purchased
Sketch 1524340964716

Sketch 1524414467134

Total price of build
Lights
1×vipar 450 £100
1×metzi 480 £90
Amazon and ebay
Cooler £38
Buckets £15 for 10
Air pump 4 outlet £16
Tent £50
Got a full 650hps giving free so tent was 2 big and ballist fried.
So extractor free
Timers 3×3 so £9
Ionic netrient left over from other grow
Heater £12
So around £330 to 345 for everything but the seeds

Last edited:
DGP

DGP

If your going to put a chiller in the system you won't really need to cool your air pumps input. Just put any air pumps outside your grow room or connect an input hose and draw air from the outside of your room but best to put them somewhere else cause they just add heat to the room. Some of the commercial air pumps have a place you can connect an input air hose. Some cheaper air pumps don't have this feature so if that is the case just put them outside the grow. Also, if you end up using C02 you want to draw you sir pump air from somewhere else anyway.

Dee

Gavg

Gavg

Good advice will cool air untill I get my cooler and on water change install new system wish I had done it first before grow was started as I say this is experiment 3 mark 3

Olyver

Olyver

If you want to add cold air to the reservoir, place your air pump(s) in a small beer fridge, and drill a 1/4" in the top of the fridge so as cool air is blown into the reservoir, the fridge draws in air and cools it.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

89.00 ice maker at Wally world. It can't be too hard to make that a water chiller out of it

Olyver

Olyver

You can also use a standard deep freezer or commercial ice cream cooler. 1 cubic foot is equal to 7.48 gallons, a 20cf deepfreeze would be about 150 gallon reservoir with the ability to cool your reservoir as cool as you want, even 32F. Deep freezers have drains in the bottom or line them with pond liners. I've built a few hydro systems using this design and they have worked perfectly. If you'd like to know more, ask any questions or send a PM. A patent was filed on this concept in 1991, but was abandoned so commercialization of a self-cooling reservoir with a patent is not possible.

Reservoir Cooler 2

Gavg

Gavg

So I bought one of these peltier coolers have it on test it needs to keep tap temp or bring it below tap temp on or around 30ltr .
Screenshot 20180509 162720 Gallery

That is if your tight for space

Screenshot 20180509 162732 Gallery
Last edited:
Gavg

Gavg

Cheep enough off for to buy 3/3 and loop them up reckon 3 in a box with a regulator led like this one
20180509 163813

Off ebay for £3.50

Olyver

Olyver

Using this ice cream cooler for a new project as a self-cooling reservoir, will post more pictures when it's been modified. It's 22 cubic feet and will work as a 150 gallon reservoir.

Ice cream freezer

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

For those, like myself, who run several small tents I use an Igloo and a wrappd kitty litter container and rotate Rubbermaid ice paks. These pics were taken when ambient was plenty cool. Now the kitty rez is wrapped

IMG 3385
IMG 4076

H

heisen

Just splurge and sell off a couple zips and buy a water chiller.All that seems like alot of work on a hope and a prayer,Not to mention efficiency,Hydro is all about consistency,Things need to be steady.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

i have 3 tents. They are too far apart to use one chiller, though I imagine some modification could solve that

5 month it's not an issue, but the other 7 require more frequent rotation

Also, I flood every 4-6 hours, keep the rez < 70 is only necessary prior to each flood, though I do not let the rez gt > 70 in between. Plus, Im a stay at home grower, so it's no big deal for me to rotate ice paks

Top Bottom