Cooling... Watercooled a/c question

• Thread starter Barnboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Barnboy

The property I am working with has a large pond(1.2mil gallon)

I don't have experience working with water-cooled a/c units.

Anyone with experience?

Would I recycle the water back to the pond? Are there major environmental issues that won't allow me to do so?

Help appreciated...

deacon1503

deacon1503

Chillking makes water cooled air handlers. I guess u would just be circulating the water constantly from the pond and then back in. What's the average temp of ur pond water? Im sure if the intake is towards the bottom, you'd have a pretty consistant temp year round. My guess would be to check with Hydro Innovations and go from there. Good luck!

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

easy one. Take your main water lines from the manifolds. Run long hoses at the bottom of the pond. Lets hope it stays cold enough in the summer so you dont need to get a chiller. You can do this for your water cool lights only. Make sure the tube will not break by animals or thing that might bit into it... Letting the water just fall into the pond will bring your ton of problems, easy to say with out to much info.

next would be calling up ChillKing for a waterchiller. I say use thise for the summer time for the lights and have dual Res to have the room AC all off the same unit. CALL THEM FOR THE SET UP INFO & SIZING UP!

B

Barnboy

easy one. Take your main water lines from the manifolds. Run long hoses at the bottom of the pond. Lets hope it stays cold enough in the summer so you dont need to get a chiller. You can do this for your water cool lights only. Make sure the tube will not break by animals or thing that might bit into it... Letting the water just fall into the pond will bring your ton of problems, easy to say with out to much info.

next would be calling up ChillKing for a waterchiller. I say use thise for the summer time for the lights and have dual Res to have the room AC all off the same unit. CALL THEM FOR THE SET UP INFO & SIZING UP!

Thanks

B

Barnboy

Chillking makes water cooled air handlers. I guess u would just be circulating the water constantly from the pond and then back in. What's the average temp of ur pond water? Im sure if the intake is towards the bottom, you'd have a pretty consistant temp year round. My guess would be to check with Hydro Innovations and go from there. Good luck!

Thanks

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

The property I am working with has a large pond(1.2mil gallon)

I don't have experience working with water-cooled a/c units.

Anyone with experience?

Would I recycle the water back to the pond? Are there major environmental issues that won't allow me to do so?

Help appreciated...

Check temps of pond. If pond is shallow and you get hot weather you will have some problems in times of heat. Also you must filter the water very well before it enters anything. Also keep those filters clean or you will have problems. I would filter the water with screen(keeps out the big things) on inlet of hose to pump. Then you need some type of cleanable strainer or 2 for filtering after the inlet screen. Strainers to filter to 40-80 microns. Also you could get calcium buildup in the a/c condenser. So be on look out for that also. Make sure the condenser on a/c unit is easily cleaned. Good luck. Also if pond water gets above 80-85F you will have some issues. Check with manufacture of a/c unit for water temps required and filtering requirements. The unit will run at higher temps (up to 95F) but with reduced capacity. Also how cold does pond get? If it gets below 50F or so in winter you could have problems. Deeper the pond the better chance you stand of getting constant temps. By the way I am a HVAC pro. Any more questions PM me.

B

Barnboy

Check temps of pond. If pond is shallow and you get hot weather you will have some problems in times of heat. Also you must filter the water very well before it enters anything. Also keep those filters clean or you will have problems. I would filter the water with screen(keeps out the big things) on inlet of hose to pump. Then you need some type of cleanable strainer or 2 for filtering after the inlet screen. Strainers to filter to 40-80 microns. Also you could get calcium buildup in the a/c condenser. So be on look out for that also. Make sure the condenser on a/c unit is easily cleaned. Good luck. Also if pond water gets above 80-85F you will have some issues. Check with manufacture of a/c unit for water temps required and filtering requirements. The unit will run at higher temps (up to 95F) but with reduced capacity. Also how cold does pond get? If it gets below 50F or so in winter you could have problems. Deeper the pond the better chance you stand of getting constant temps. By the way I am a HVAC pro. Any more questions PM me.

Thanks for info....

U

UCtestn

So we are at the A/C thread, huh? Let's try this...

I've used watercooled A/C's almost exclusively for several years. My assumption is you will have access to flowing water (not a frozen pond) all year around.

Option 1.)
A normal A/C that is simply cooled by water. Here is a company that does nothing but this: http://www.miamihp.com/products.html aka water cooled A/C.
Option 2.)
Water cooled air handlers, like deacon said:

For option 1, you would run pipes to and from the pond. You would use a pump (probably some sort of well pump to put the water to the A/C unit and then return it to the pump (probably far from the water intake pipe) This is so common that a lot of illegal indoor grows use there swimming pool instead of 1.5 million gallon pond, so you should be good to cool many tons of A/C.

On a normal A/C the compressor sits outside "and gets cooled" by the air moved on a large fan... that would be the outdoor unit, with the water cooled A/C's there is no outdoor unit. The compressor "gets cooled" by the water you are running from the pond.

In option two, you run the concept of a radiator. The water from the pond gets pumped the same way as in option 1, but t goes to something that resembles a radiator. Fans would blow air through the "radiator" which is really an air handler and cools the air as it travels through it. The benefit of option 2 is that the electric consumption is MUCH less. You are not running a compressor, but rather a pump and some fans. IT works best when the water is really cold and does not work as good if the water is anywhere near warm.

Unless you like departing with your money, stay away from Chillking. Every major manufacturer makes water cooled units. In one way shape or form water cooling is used on a LOT of commercial building in the world. Chillking market the horticulture market and hence charges for the niche.

convex

convex

Is the pond man made or natural?
If natural, you may get flack, especially if it drains to a stream.

Top Bottom