Cooling with well water

• Thread starter Sunshinegrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sunshinegrower

Does anyone has a commercial grade system for cooling with well water? I'm looking into something that is a closed looped system that can exchange the water back into the ground that can handle 4+ tons of cooling. I have no experience in this area, but NOT LOOKING FOR SOME DIY handyman project.

Cort

Cort

Geothermal heat pump

No experience in this area but google that. It might set you on the right track.

C

Chillville

Premium Member
Supporter
What is the well water temperature? What is the flow rate? These are 2 very important factors to sizing a system like you want. Geothermal cooling is really easy to accomplish with a water-cooled air handler, simply pump water through the air handler then empty back in to the well.

M

MTgrower

What is the well water temperature? What is the flow rate? These are 2 very important factors to sizing a system like you want. Geothermal cooling is really easy to accomplish with a water-cooled air handler, simply pump water through the air handler then empty back in to the well.

What about running to waste into a septic leach field. The water just passes over the tank and into the ground where it returns to the water table.... right? I have two wells, but the plumber said you had to have EPA inspections and all kinds of red tape to dump back into either of my wells for exactly the reason someone mentioned about contamination. This is montana, and I own flood plain property. Anyway, the plumber said to just run it through my actual waste water in the house. Any thoughts on that? I'm currently running run-to-waste until I get the 5HP chillking installed. But that can't happen for a while because of the temps.

HipsterDoodus

HipsterDoodus

You can't run waste water to the septic tank because it screws up the bacterial balance. Septic systems are batch systems - flood and rest. You're not supposed to have a continuous flow into your septic.

M

MTgrower

You can't run waste water to the septic tank because it screws up the bacterial balance. Septic systems are batch systems - flood and rest. You're not supposed to have a continuous flow into your septic.

Oh well. I've been doing it for almost two years and things are cool. I'll get that 5HP chiller installed this spring and be off the wells all together. They will just be backup if a pump in the closed loop fails. I try to work in redundancy wherever possible. Thanks though.

S

swisscheese

Well water is usually 55 to 60 chillville it's coming out of the ground. I'm looking to do a water cooled grow with some well water too what did you end up going with sunshine?

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I got a buddy that runs pond water thru ice boxes...sends it right back to the pond. It hasn't killed the fish.:confused:

Top Bottom