Correct Terminology: Strain vs. Variety

• Thread starter jcom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
jcom

jcom

So Jorge Cervantes says that different genetic lines of cannabis should be referred to as "varities" rather than "strains". I decided to look up the definitions of each to form my own opinion and have posted them below. I tend to agree with Jorge on this one.

Your call?

Variety - Biology
a. A taxonomic subdivision of a species consisting of naturally occurring or selectively bred populations or individuals that differ from the remainder of the species in certain minor characteristics.
b. An organism, especially a plant, belonging to such a subdivision

Strain - Biology A group of organisms of the same species, having distinctive characteristics but not usually considered a separate breed or variety

B

Buddy Hemphill

Jorge is an idiot.

For reasons other than thinking he is gonna change the way we descibe our strains, also.

IMO

N

Ne Obliviscaris

Both of those definitions refer to the same thing, a subspecies. This is a useless and purely semantic argument. What I (and probably most of you) refer to as a strain, is a particular linage of cannabis that falls within a particular range of phenotypes. Thats exatly the same thing as both of those definitions.

jcom

jcom

Jorge is an idiot.

IMO

Wow, that's kinda harsh. He's done a lot to advance growing (by sharing experience of his and others) and the overall movement. I like the guy.

Both of those definitions refer to the same thing, a subspecies. This is a useless and purely semantic argument. What I (and probably most of you) refer to as a strain, is a particular linage of cannabis that falls within a particular range of phenotypes. Thats exatly the same thing as both of those definitions.

I tend to agree, semantics. Figured it was worth getting a few thoughts on it. Always good to use correct nomenclature.

HeadGrow

HeadGrow

Buddy you got me interested now, how come u think Jorge is an idiot? I really don't know much of him beyond his massive outdoor grows and his bible.

joeca1i

joeca1i

I wanna know how retarded this guy jorge is too.Any proof?

B

Buddy Hemphill

Buddy you got me interested now, how come u think Jorge is an idiot? I really don't know much of him beyond his massive outdoor grows and his bible.

The Farm has better info for free. He's another dude cashing in. There again. IMO.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I wanna know how retarded this guy jorge is too.Any proof?

Like high school transcripts?.......jk.

IMO......in my opinion.

He is telling every weed man in the world we talk wrong. Seems a little ....ehh...I dunno....conceited?

Get a fucking grip Jorge....lol....its a STRAIN.

Would a rose by any other name...blahdee blah....

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

actually, it was technically a variety but since language is fluid and the meaning of words are in constant evolution, the term strain is fully acceptable now as so many use it as a replacement

fwiw

C

critical

i say why try fix somethin that dont need fixing, strains are in there own right different types/strains or familys of the cannibis tree wer as the word variety to me should be used for the different pheno's in them familys/strains, as in for example, that STRAIN of skunk critical mass has some good phenotypes in it, there different VARIETY of charicteristics give some nice different VARIETYS/PHENO'S of the STRAIN... thats just my 0.02c tho...

T

TreFarmer

From my understanding is he doesn't have mass grows, but has been pictured in MASS grows...ie Humboldt Local's... could be wrong.. I often am.
But he sent me and my partners a personal email with hom standing next to a massive plant in a smart pot... later I got a new canna mag with a humboldt grow... And that SAME plant was the crowning glory of the article...
Not saying he hasn't or doen't just heard rumors and found my discrepancies in his "bible".

All respect...
200,000,000 stoners say ....STRAIN...;) Tho variety is probably correct on a multiple choice in Hort 101..
TREFARMER

Great another debate!! I love it!!

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

i say why try fix somethin that dont need fixing, strains are in there own right different types/strains or familys of the cannibis tree wer as the word variety to me should be used for the different pheno's in them familys/strains, as in for example, that strain of skunk critical mass has some good phenotypes in it, there different variety of charicteristics give some nice different varietys/pheno's of the strain... Thats just my 0.02c tho...

ˆˆˆyes!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey Buddy just wanted to say Jorge has helped countless people...hardly trying to take your money he is.
And I believe critical has it exactly backwards but as Wobbly Goblin has pointed out, both terms have become pretty acceptable.
And last but not least Buddy, Jorge isn't doing this to mess with you, it's just plain Botanical definition...

I'm not 100% sure on the semantics, as I'm too lazy right now to look up much but I prefer to use Variety as opposed to Strain as I agree with Jorge and have remembered it somewhat that way. But school was many many cloudy memories ago.

C

critical

Hey Buddy just wanted to say Jorge has helped countless people...hardly trying to take your money he is.
And I believe critical has it exactly backwards but as Wobbly Goblin has pointed out, both terms have become pretty acceptable.
And last but not least Buddy, Jorge isn't doing this to mess with you, it's just plain Botanical definition...

i see wer your comin from, it can be looked at both ways for sure, but i still personly see it as different types are the strains wer the word variety to me would fit in to the different phenos/varietys of that strain, like coca cola is the type/strain of soft drink but it has some nice varietys/phenos, like cherry coke, diet coke, coke zero... n Jorge, he deserves credit for making his mark n helping in the cannabis scene n its history so no bad mouthing some1 like that please this guy has helped us erb lovers, i think its a simple case of every1 see's things from a diffent angle n way of thinking, who is to say which pesons point of view is right i suppose as both terms could equally fit as the correct terminology for both..

Reactions: B.a
M

Mr. Greeny

The Farm has better info for free. He's another dude cashing in. There again. IMO.

This does not prove he is an idiot. This just proves that people that buy his books and videos are misinformed on where to find information for free that is equal. It does though prove that he is a marketing genius. Don't ever hate the player!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Hey Mr. Greeny. That is a definition of Variety, and I don't see too much misinformation in his book. Not that I would do things always His way but the dude has some experience.

FWIW
Here is another explanation of the word Variety in a Botanical setting.
Not from Jorge either.
IMG_10733.JPG
IMG_10742.JPG

M

Mr. Greeny

Hey Mr. Greeny. That is a definition of Variety, and I don't see too much misinformation in his book. Not that I would do things always His way but the dude has some experience.

FWIW
Here is another explanation of the word Variety in a Botanical setting.
Not from Jorge either.
IMG_10733.JPG
IMG_10742.JPG

A what!?!?!?!? This doesn't make sense! I have no doubt in my mind that Jorge has more experience than me. I was commenting on how the guy I qouted called him an idiot because he (Jorge) is using his knowledge to make money. Sorry bro, you lost me!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
It's funny the word Strain isn't even in the book...
But to Mr. Greeny hate the definition not the messenger...lol

M

Mr. Greeny

Look up the definition for "misinformed". Incase that was the word I used to confuse you.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I was addressing the way you said Jorges book misinforms people.
That's all Mr. Greeny

edit: That's all I was mentioning is that Jorge's book isn't full of misinformation and then proceeded to say He was just printing a botanical definition in the book and here is another source for that botanical definition.
I apologize if you took it as more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom