Cost friendly pH tester/meter for new grower

• Thread starter MJMatt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MJMatt

MJMatt

I purchased the cheap yellow pH meter from amazon. I am beginning to regret it. From the beginning I felt like something was off when I calibrated the pen and then cleaned it and put it back in the same solution it would read something different. Anyways what are everyone’s favorite without spending over $100?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi to start of with I would look at the simple yellow meter like in the pic and get a tds meter as well a must for a grower mine cost $15 for the pair you will need to get the buffer to calibrate it correctly and PH up PH down .

A9359116 64E6 47E3 99F9 747DB3B22652
Dr.B

Dr.B

Cost effective.. you can go two ways.

1 - Cost effective now ⬆
2 - Cost effective... considering option 1's potential failures, incorrect results and resulting problems.... Bluelab. $100 each roughly pH & EC pens, plus the required solutions. I've never regretted saving up for my set.

(Sorry OD, I hate those things! When I started out I bought 3 I think... I never did receive a working one, just an endless headache 🤣)

Last edited:
Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I purchased the cheap yellow pH meter from amazon. I am beginning to regret it. From the beginning I felt like something was off when I calibrated the pen and then cleaned it and put it back in the same solution it would read something different. Anyways what are everyone’s favorite without spending over $100?

You want a good ph meter extech100 you can do direct soil and liquid. Soil will be a surface test. I dig about an inch down take my test there...i got big enough drainage holes i take from there too. It works for me!!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Cheapest and best way is general hydroponic ph drops in my opinion. Even if you get the most expensive ph meter it will still need the drops to be checked for accuracy from time to time.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Cost effective.. you can go two ways.

1 - Cost effective now ⬆
2 - Cost effective... considering option 1's potential failures, incorrect results and resulting problems.... Bluelab. $100 each roughly pH & EC pens, plus the required solutions. I've never regretted saving up for my set.

(Sorry OD, I hate those things! When I started out I bought 3 I think... I never did receive a working one, just an endless headache 🤣)
I hear you this one's 2 years old kept buffered has done me well for $8 bucks I'll look into the blue lab one this week I do understand where you're coming from DR .

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Why would I ever need to measure below 6.0 in soil? LOL 🤣😂🤣

I do occasionally wish they would measure lower but since I started using Dolomite several years ago my pH very rarely goes below 6.4

If pH is below 6.0 it only indicates bright yellow, it won't turn any other color

I believe these are more accurate and definitely easier for me to read than the more common, broader range type of test drops that I also have out there

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Why would I ever need to measure below 6.0 in soil? LOL 🤣😂🤣

I do occasionally wish they would measure lower but since I started using Dolomite several years ago my pH very rarely goes below 6.4

If pH is below 6.0 it only indicates bright yellow, it won't turn any other color

I believe these are more accurate and definitely easier for me to read than the more common, broader range type of test drops that I also have out there

Pro mix range is really 5.5-6.5. Even labeled on the bale that way.

I need to know when i get lower than 5.5. But honestly as long as it turns yellow under 6 ph thats close enough.

I am really always much more concerned wih ppm’s.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
For DWC spend the money on a good meter. You don't have to go crazy just I'm not going to hinge my whole grow on a 13 dollar PH meter. Id use the drops any day of the week over those. Specially in water culture where that is prob the most important thing for not only feeding but getting a read of whats going on depending on how hard you want to nerd out.

Meters are only as good as how much you keep them calibrated. No mater the cost. How long they hold it is also a factor. Replaceable probes can be another one if you are spending money. Only ones I've used for grows that I would suggest is Bluelab (pens, combo meter, guardian), Oakton (pens) and Milwaukee (combo meter) . Oakton, Milwaukee combo, and Bluelab combo/guardian all have replacement probes. Just be warned Bluelab PH probe is as much as buying a new Bluelab PH pen. The combo meters are prob out of your price range and not really needed. I haven't used Milwaukee or Oakton in over 10 years so no idea if they are still solid like they used to be just to add that.

Other ones I've heard good things about is Apera but I have no personal experience with those.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Bluelab handheld ph pen / tds pen combo hands down I wouldn’t even waste money on anything else.

I’ve had the big bluelab multimeters (about 5 to be exact) and over time the led’s short out so I can’t recommend those unfortunately but the pen combo is the best meter out here hands down.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
If you really want to "nerd out," look at Hanna Instruments. They make devices that measure just about everything. Go to their page and search colorimeter.

Ive had shitty luck with Hanna over the years. Not sure if anything has changed. From them not holding to shitting out. I don't give them my money anymore.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Ive had shitty luck with Hanna over the years. Not sure if anything has changed. From them not holding to shitting out. I don't give them my money anymore.
I like my fresh water alkalinity meter.

Top Bottom