Costly Coco Coir Nutrient Alternatives

• Thread starter DaXander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DaXander

This summer will be my third grow, so there is still a lot i don't understand, but i am continually researching, (currently reading through the 77 pages on cheaper nutrients).

So i have done a few side by side coco grows trying to figure out what nutrient system i liked the best, i ended up liking Soul Synthetics, it generally outgrew the other lines i matched it against. The only thing i don't like about this line is how expensive it is. With most of the top nutrient brands being easily over $50 a gallon:
1) Has anyone found a more cost effective way to grow in coco?
2) Possibly supplementing tea?
3) Or buying all the ingredients and mixing your own?
4) Or simply a cheaper but still effective nutrient line?

I have been pounding the forums to get those ideas, sadly i can't seem to find the combination of cheap and effective, so any detailed breakdown would be super appreciated!!

Last edited:
D

DaXander

Canna Coco A&B only
Some MOAB end of flower!
Good results, cheap,Easy and PH stable

I considered this since canna is one of the more reputable lines, my current line up i'm considering trying may have more bottles to mix but it only cost me $188.72. Just canna A & B at an aproximate volume would cost me $322.99. Soul Synthetics is running me $405.ish.
Been doing well with jacks hydro and weekly teas.
Teas are something I am currently looking in to, and had read over a long forum on here mostly about Jacks. From my understanding you dont want to mix Jacks with coco though? Are you using any specific brew of teas?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Jacks works quite well in coco, just make sure to add 1g/gal epson salt (the 1 in jacks 321) As for teas Google "Elaine ingham compost Tea manual" and a pdf of her book should show up. I also use the biowar tea recipe.

Edit: for just over $100 I have enough fertilizer for a good 4-6 months.

D

DaXander

Jacks works quite well in coco, just make sure to add 1g/gal epson salt (the 1 in jacks 321) As for teas Google "Elaine ingham compost Tea manual" and a pdf of her book should show up. I also use the biowar tea recipe.

Edit: for just over $100 I have enough fertilizer for a good 4-6 months.

Thanks Savage, I will definitely be giving this a go as well, Boogie tea is another I'm looking into.

Last edited:
Danky Mcnugs

Danky Mcnugs

I'm currently using General Hydroponics cocotek A and B. Haven't seen but a few people using this stuff, but I've gotta say it works very well. The dosage rates remind me of what canna users are going with, and it is very simple to use.

P

Pimples

I'm currently using General Hydroponics cocotek A and B. Haven't seen but a few people using this stuff, but I've gotta say it works very well. The dosage rates remind me of what canna users are going with, and it is very simple to use.
What is your ec at 2 tspns each per gallon of water? The a &b cocotek grow?

whiteak80

whiteak80

Ever tried the modified Lucas Formula, 6ml Micro and 9ml Bloom per gallon, just the plain old Flora GH Line? Bit of Epson salt, ph of 5.8 to 6, easy, pretty cost effective. Start off with a weak ec when seedlings, half strength when a couple of weeks old and then full strength once bigger, keep the 6/9 all the way through bloom. Last week or so flush with a bit of Molasses water. Worked well for me in the past with Coco.

P

Pimples

Coco coir specific nutes arent anything really special. Lower overall potassium (coir releases it slowly over the course og the grow if its buffered correctly) . A higher calcium and magnesium. And slightly bumped up iron levels and chelated with dtpa or ideally eddha. Nothing to a coir specific feed at all really.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Ive been rocking Mills recently and based on how good it has been going I'm gonna keep rocking it.

P

Pimples

Ime Cocotek at 2 tsp of each part per gallon is much more concentrated than Canna.

F

FarmerX

I recently posted a DIY Terpinator(Potassium and Sulfur) guide.
Check out the Cheap Alternatives and DIY Fertilizer guide that are stickied in this sub-forum too. There are a lot of cheap alternatives, look into using what the major ag. Companies use.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I use the Jacks for coco, works great and is the cheapest option I have found. 2 grams of base 5-12-26, 2 grams calcium nitrate, 1 gram of Epsom per gallon of water. Might want to start at a lower level depending on strain.

P

Pimples

I use the Jacks for coco, works great and is the cheapest option I have found. 2 grams of base 5-12-26, 2 grams calcium nitrate, 1 gram of Epsom per gallon of water. Might want to start at a lower level depending on strain.
Say...been hearing alot about Jacks. Whats the EC come out to at that dilution? Ph??? Whats the chelation agent for the iron?

xavier7995

xavier7995

Not sure on the EC, don't measure. It doesn't really effect ph so you need to adjust.

Good read on the subject:

Top Bottom