Could I top this plant? (Height control/clone)

• Thread starter Growku
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Growku

Growku

Hey all.

I've got a G13 strain that I'm growing indoors, and through some freak of pH/ppm problems, my plant grew a full foot and has too much of a tall-to-wide ratio. Those issues are taken care of, but the plant is still 4ft tall lol I'm in VEG, but since there's an autoflower around, I'm keeping the 19/5 light cycle for a couple more weeks.

If anyone could provide me with some info that I can top this plant without any concerns, that would be wonderful. Along with that, where to cut it would be helpful as well. I'm hoping to use the top and clone it while I'm at it.

Btw it's outside just to get some of those healthy rays, while saving some electric and getting some pics lol

Thanks in advance!

Could i top this plant height controlclone
Could i top this plant height controlclone 2
Could i top this plant height controlclone 3
Could i top this plant height controlclone 4
Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

Hey all.

I've got a G13 strain that I'm growing indoors, and through some freak of pH/ppm problems, my plant grew a full foot and has too much of a tall-to-wide ratio. Those issues are taken care of, but the plant is still 4ft tall lol I'm in VEG, but since there's an autoflower around, I'm keeping the 19/5 light cycle for a couple more weeks.

If anyone could provide me with some info that I can top this plant without any concerns, that would be wonderful. Along with that, where to cut it would be helpful as well. I'm hoping to use the top and clone it while I'm at it.

Btw it's outside just to get some of those healthy rays, while saving some electric and getting some pics lol

Thanks in advance!
Wow tall I would of topped it at the 3rd node when it was young. U can try taking the main stock at the top n bending it down some n tying it which promotes all the other branches to shoot straight up which gives u multiple coals. You could try but your stock may be too stiff by now for bending.

Growku

Growku

I don't think topping would help you much now, probably just need to get a good pole to tie her to so she doesn't fall over. She looks like a beauty!! Maybe super-cropping would help? https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-super-crop-marijuana (just guessing on this one)
Wow tall I would of topped it at the 3rd node when it was young. U can try taking the main stock at the top n bending it down some n tying it which promotes all the other branches to shoot straight up which gives u multiple coals. You could try but your stock may be too stiff by now for bending.
I would tie it over to itself at the base easy way to fix height without losing any part of the plant . Regards OD.

Thanks guys! I'll consider the super cropping. The stem is pretty sturdy as long as I'm not moving it too quickly lol.

However I really did want to use the top for a clone, especially since a few more weeks in veg then the flowering stretch could make this thing taller than my tent and kinda lanky...

Is topping just a bad idea? Would the topping actively hurt the plant? I wouldn't mind equal yields plus a clone with topping, but if it would set me behind I'll definitely try the super cropping.

Thanks again!

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

Thanks guys! I'll consider the super cropping. The stem is pretty sturdy as long as I'm not moving it too quickly lol.

However I really did want to use the top for a clone, especially since a few more weeks in veg then the flowering stretch could make this thing taller than my tent and kinda lanky...

Is topping just a bad idea? Would the topping actively hurt the plant? I wouldn't mind equal yields plus a clone with topping, but if it would set me behind I'll definitely try the super cropping.

Thanks again!
Yes tie it down it looks sativa dominant so it's going to probably close to triple in height during the stretch

Growku

Growku

Yes tie it down it looks sativa dominant so it's going to probably close to triple in height during the stretch

Believe it or not, it's an 80/20 Indica dominant...

I really don't mind waiting extra veg for recovery time for topping; I have another tent just for flowering that's 2 or 3 weeks away from arriving so it'll be vegging for at least that long anyway since I don't wanna drop my auto that's next to it to only 12/12.

I'm really interested in getting a Top clone along with growing it sideways. Given that, is it still a much better idea to just tie it down? The only hesitation on tying it down is that it'll end up on the half of the tent with the auto, which needs much lower light cause that auto seems to be light stressing. Not to mention the autos branches are thin and stretch wide, and the tie-down of G13 (the plant of my question) will most likely blanket over alot of it. I've done literal dozens of hours of research on all of this, but I'm trusting the words of the forum goers to put the theory to practice since I'm new.

Forgive the persistence, I'm just a first time grower and wanna be double sure I'm not being counter productive. The top 'n' clone is a dream, but I don't want to create a nightmare.

Thanks again for you words and wealth of patience!

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

Believe it or not, it's an 80/20 Indica dominant...

I really don't mind waiting extra veg for recovery time for topping; I have another tent just for flowering that's 2 or 3 weeks away from arriving so it'll be vegging for at least that long anyway since I don't wanna drop my auto that's next to it to only 12/12.

I'm really interested in getting a Top clone along with growing it sideways. Given that, is it still a much better idea to just tie it down? The only hesitation on tying it down is that it'll end up on the half of the tent with the auto, which needs much lower light cause that auto seems to be light stressing. Not to mention the autos branches are thin and stretch wide, and the tie-down of G13 (the plant of my question) will most likely blanket over alot of it. I've done literal dozens of hours of research on all of this, but I'm trusting the words of the forum goers to put the theory to practice since I'm new.

Forgive the persistence, I'm just a first time grower and wanna be double sure I'm not being counter productive. The top 'n' clone is a dream, but I don't want to create a nightmare.

Thanks again for you words and wealth of patience!
Well top it then it sound like that's what you want to do anyway. We learn from hands on experience so give it a try . U could always put the other plants up on something so there closer to the light . Next time top early these are mine right now the bigger ones in the back were topped tonight for there 2nd time
20200821 131347

GREEN GURNER

GREEN GURNER

I would take the bottom two branches for clones and nip the top but tying down is a good choice. You've had trouble with her already but taken the two branches & nip if the plants growing well now plus 3-4 weeks you'll have a better shaped plant

Growku

Growku

Well top it then it sound like that's what you want to do anyway. We learn from hands on experience so give it a try . U could always put the other plants up on something so there closer to the light . Next time top early these are mine right now the bigger ones in the back were topped tonight for there 2nd time View attachment 1019934
I would take the bottom two branches for clones and nip the top but tying down is a good choice. You've had trouble with her already but taken the two branches & nip if the plants growing well now plus 3-4 weeks you'll have a better shaped plant

I do believe I'm going to go with the tie down. Between all of the consistent feedback and remembering that I have another early veg plant I could top instead, you all have tempered my reason; Thank you for that.

Given that this plant's sister is a foot shorter but the same age, I gather that the tie down method or maybe super cropping should be the options to consider over topping, right?

My Do-Si-Do (Indica Dominant), however, seems like a good candidate after having witnessed that kickass tent setup! Could you advise me on if the plant is ready and where to top it? Heres a pic:
My apologies for having taken one after a Foliar Spray (SuperThrive Vitamin B1 and ultra light nutes) rather than before when it wad dry.

She seemed to stretch the top couple inches over the last couple days, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe not enough light, or maybe volunteering to be the first Topping I undertake!

You all have been invaluable, thanks again!

Tornadohunting420

Tornadohunting420

I do believe I'm going to go with the tie down. Between all of the consistent feedback and remembering that I have another early veg plant I could top instead, you all have tempered my reason; Thank you for that.

Given that this plant's sister is a foot shorter but the same age, I gather that the tie down method or maybe super cropping should be the options to consider over topping, right?

My Do-Si-Do (Indica Dominant), however, seems like a good candidate after having witnessed that kickass tent setup! Could you advise me on if the plant is ready and where to top it? Heres a pic:View attachment 1019996 My apologies for having taken one after a Foliar Spray (SuperThrive Vitamin B1 and ultra light nutes) rather than before when it wad dry.

She seemed to stretch the top couple inches over the last couple days, and I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe not enough light, or maybe volunteering to be the first Topping I undertake!

You can cut the stem where I circled it leave those 2 small shoots that have started those will be your 2 new tops. You could also try to clone the top you cut off if you want.
20200822 090024

GREEN GURNER

GREEN GURNER

My Do-Si-Do (Indica Dominant), however, seems like a good candidate after having witnessed that kickass tent setup! Could you advise me on if the plant is ready and where to top it? Heres a pic:View attachment 1019996 My apologies for having taken one after a Foliar Spray (SuperThrive Vitamin B1 and ultra light nutes) rather than before when it wad dry.

well ive done both the this year with some alien triagle autos

20200822 141435
20200822 141440
20200822 141444
20200822 141448
20200822 141433
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey all.

Thanks in advance!
taking indoor plants outside is. it a good idea, you’ll be bring in insects as well!

Growku

Growku

taking indoor plants outside is (not) a good idea, you’ll be bring in insects as well!
I'm already treating the plants for a spider mite/some sort of larvae problem, so I figure a few hours outside cant hurt. Not to mention I've done damn near 100 gallons of flushing for the nutrient lockout/pH issue my noob ass caused, so the runoff had to go somewhere otherwise my tent would be a swimming pool lol

You can cut the stem where I circled it leave those 2 small shoots that have started those will be your 2 new tops. You could also try to clone the top you cut off if you want.View attachment 1020073

That pic is perfect, I'll top it tonight! You've been incredibly gracious with your time, thanks a million; you've made me feel like part of the community!

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'm already treating the plants for a spider mite/some sort of larvae problem, so I figure a few hours outside cant hurt. Not to mention I've done damn near 100 gallons of flushing for the nutrient lockout/pH issue my noob ass caused, so the runoff had to go somewhere otherwise my tent would be a swimming pool lol

That pic is perfect, I'll top it tonight! You've been incredibly gracious with your time, thanks a million; you've made me feel like part of the community!
oh, well ok, just if it’s healthy why risk it,
hope all goes well!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom