Could someone tell me if this waters OK or should I just buy a RO filter

• Thread starter NZweedTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NZweedTHC

I wouldn't know where to start? Does this look OK? Or just bite the bullet and buy a RO filter?

Could someone tell me if this waters ok or should i just buy a ro filter
P

PahPahCee

It’s a little too blurry to make out. What’s the PPM and alkalinity?

thehighguy

thehighguy

Between 16 and 19. For alkalinity. Ppm was less than 1.0 ec my pen said 10
It should be fine. But i can promise you that your ph is not even close to 16, unless your using a different measurement scale. In my experience tap water is typically between 7-8.5... 16 is unfit for human consumption lmfao and off the charts basic. The trace minerals need to be somewhat extreme to make a large difference IMO. Keep in mind that 1PPM is 0.0001% of the water. Say you have a 3 gallon pot, which needs 3 gallons of water a week. In terms of percent of total soil composition something with a ppm of 4 or say iron, would accumulate (4ppm)*(0.0001%/ppm)*(#number of weeks) =Y in x number of weeks. say 7 weeks. 4x0.0001x7=0.028% of your soil would be iron after 7 weeks. no where near levels dangerous to the plants health. sorry about the math lmfao.

Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
What growing medium will you be using?

N

NZweedTHC

It should be fine. But i can promise you that your ph is not even close to 16, unless your using a different measurement scale. In my experience tap water is typically between 7-8.5... 16 is unfit for human consumption lmfao and off the charts basic. The trace minerals need to be somewhat extreme to make a large difference IMO. Keep in mind that 1PPM is 0.0001% of the water. Say you have a 3 gallon pot, which needs 3 gallons of water a week. In terms of percent of total soil composition something with a ppm of 4 or say iron, would accumulate (4ppm)*(0.0001%/ppm)*(#number of weeks) =Y in x number of weeks. say 7 weeks. 4x0.0001x7=0.028% of your soil would be iron after 7 weeks. no where near levels dangerous to the plants health

My tap pH is around 7, I've never really had issues with the water but I've had some problems with my last one, but I think it was heat stress, mixed with 1-5 degree mornings etc etc.

Some stalled/stopped forming.

20231001 074050
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I wouldn't know where to start? Does this look OK? Or just bite the bullet and buy a RO filter?
You let your water "distill" before using to get rid of chlorine?

Just making sure.... I have high chlorine content in my water Soni let sit out for 2 or 3 days before using

A

alpha.ganjaguy

letting it sit is not distilling it, distilling it the process of boiling water and capturing the steam and leaving the minerals behind

also, letting your water sit out really does nothing now a days.. it used to be a thing when only chlorine was used because chlorine is very volatile, it could off gas but since most water treatment has resorted to chloramine it doesn't really matter as it does not. Also neither will hurt your plants in the amounts found in tap water

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
letting it sit is not distilling it, distilling it the process of boiling water and capturing the steam and leaving the minerals behind

also, letting your water sit out really does nothing now a days.. it used to be a thing when only chlorine was used because chlorine is very volatile, it could off gas but since most water treatment has resorted to chloramine it doesn't really matter as it does not. Also neither will hurt your plants in the amounts found in tap water
Thanks man...
Ya I knew as soon as I used the term distilling... I was wrong🤣🤣🤣 work started and no time to re-edit...

Glad to know about the chlorine thing... as I learned that 20 years ago

lowodorisbest

lowodorisbest

How many plants are you growing? The reason I ask, is that I grow one plant at a time and buy my water from Safeway for $6 /5 gallons. Its filtered water that tests almost pure ( 10 PPM) and works very well. My tap water tests at 150 or higher and god knows what's in it.

You could try something like this for a little while before investing in a RO system. The cost for a good RO system and maintenance might be higher than the cost of buying flitered water, it really depends on how many plants your growing.

The company is called Primo.

They sell "spring water" (slightly more expensive) and Filtered water (cheap). I buy the cheap stuff, dont need the minerals in the spring water.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Primo-Primo-5-Gal-Water-with-Empty-Exchange-1008778394/205216096

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
How many plants are you growing? The reason I ask, is that I grow one plant at a time and buy my water from Safeway for $6 /5 gallons. Its filtered water that tests almost pure ( 10 PPM) and works very well. My tap water tests at 150 or higher and god knows what's in it.

You could try something like this for a little while before investing in a RO system. The cost for a good RO system and maintenance might be higher than the cost of buying flitered water, it really depends on how many plants your growing.

The company is called Primo.

They sell "spring water" (slightly more expensive) and Filtered water (cheap). I buy the cheap stuff, dont need the minerals in the spring water.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Primo-Primo-5-Gal-Water-with-Empty-Exchange-1008778394/205216096
Holy shit 6 bucks for 5 gallons of filtered water is expensive AF, imo.. I don't even pay that much for bottled water at Walmart. I get 40, 500ml bottles (that's equivalent to 5.28 gallons) for under 4 dollars. Like 3.58 iirc.

I would seriously look into buying an RO filter. I have this one - https://www.amazon.com/3-Stage-Port...o&qid=1696360631&sprefix=geekp,aps,281&sr=8-5

It's under 50 bucks and will last you at least a couple of years before you have to buy new filters (which are about 38 dollars)

But even then, 150ppm tap water isn't bad at all. Try 650ppm, that's my well water 🤣

Sorry not trying to be a dick or anything so please don't take it that way. Just hope I could help you save some money! 🤠

lowodorisbest

lowodorisbest

Holy shit 6 bucks for 5 gallons of filtered water is expensive AF, imo.. I don't even pay that much for bottled water at Walmart. I get 40, 500ml bottles (that's equivalent to 5.28 gallons) for under 4 dollars. Like 3.58 iirc.

I would seriously look into buying an RO filter. I have this one - https://www.amazon.com/3-Stage-Portable-Aquarium-Countertop-Reverse-System-100GPD/dp/B07H2TSNZM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=UKLLOVHEK44U&keywords=geekpure+ro&qid=1696360631&sprefix=geekp,aps,281&sr=8-5

It's under 50 bucks and will last you at least a couple of years before you have to buy new filters (which are about 38 dollars)

But even then, 150ppm tap water isn't bad at all. Try 650ppm, that's my well water 🤣

Sorry not trying to be a dick or anything so please don't take it that way. Just hope I could help you save some money! 🤠
Hear you, but remember I'm only growing one plant at a time and 5 gallons of water can last months. (Seedlings and early veg take very little water)...

I could probably save a few bucks but so far the water has tested well and is consistently high quality. Just a tip I thought I'd toss out because it works for me and it might be a good temporary solution until the OP gets a RO filter.

One of the things I dont like about this hobby are devices and ingredients that need constant maintenence and replacement such as RO filters, EC/PH meters, Carbon Filters etc... Using store bought water takes one less complication away, dealing with RO filter installation/maintenance sounds like a hassle to me. Have enough to worry about with this hobby.

Top Bottom