Could these plants have HPLVD?

• Thread starter Sensemilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zill

Sure. I haven’t seen this disease inthe field but my pathology traning helps.

Number one it ain’t easy to diagnose. To be 1,000% sure you need to infect a healthy plant and show it can be transmitted. Not like looking at a fungal spore sac dropping billions of powdery mildew spores. Then to be 10,000% certain you do a tissue prep, soak it in some wax or plastic, thin section it and look under an electron microscope for tiny little RNA hairpins. Seriously who is going to pay for that - commercial growers. If you look at pictures of HvLD infected plants they look normal just tiny.

Your plants didn’t display that symptom.

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Sure. I haven’t seen this disease inthe field but my pathology traning helps.

Number one it ain’t easy to diagnose. To be 1,000% sure you need to infect a healthy plant and show it can be transmitted. Not like looking at a fungal spore sac dropping billions of powdery mildew spores. Then to be 10,000% certain you do a tissue prep, soak it in some wax or plastic, thin section it and look under an electron microscope for tiny little RNA hairpins. Seriously who is going to pay for that - commercial growers. If you look at pictures of HvLD infected plants they look normal just tiny.

Your plants didn’t display that symptom.
Zill, thank you so much. Super stoked to hear that. Yeah, I don’t even think we are that advanced to have it sent to a lab where I live lol, I bet it costs a small fortune too. Thanks again

G

GreenNotYellow

Hello!

While the plant does look a bit strange and has some abnormal branching, it still look quite alive, healthy even. Perhaps moving the plants in a different grow place and just let it grow. Perhaps try adjusting light, use few fertilizers. Maybe even take a clone and see how will it behave. At a current stage I can't say if it is surely a hop latent viroid or not, it has both yes and no's on the photo...

Would just say don't buy from random placed. I have not faced such things with the place I buy from. But perhaps it's just a random outcome, or the plant just need some nutrients
Hello! You say dont buy from random places, where do you buy your seeds then?

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Hello!

While the plant does look a bit strange and has some abnormal branching, it still look quite alive, healthy even. Perhaps moving the plants in a different grow place and just let it grow. Perhaps try adjusting light, use few fertilizers. Maybe even take a clone and see how will it behave. At a current stage I can't say if it is surely a hop latent viroid or not, it has both yes and no's on the photo...

Would just say don't buy from random placed. I have not faced such things with the place I buy from. But perhaps it's just a random outcome, or the plant just need some nutrients
These seeds weren’t bought from a random place. They were bought through the Beleaf website. But I understand how buying seeds from random places could potentially cause issues

R

RhastaBlasta

Hello! You say dont buy from random places, where do you buy your seeds then?
Hey there. Well, from my buddies or making seeds if I have a chance, also making clones if I have an ability for. Like, if the mother plant is good then clones gonna be good as well plus you save on money. I of course not always can do that so when I buy the seeds - I go to some reliable source like Herbies seeds

A

alpha.ganjaguy

Old be leaf isn’t that the fella who choked his mrs and chucked a dog out the window not someone I’d support fk him not sure about your virus mate sorry but they don’t look to bad anyways👍
afaik the dog incident was a colin from ethos not beleaf but wouldn't surprise me

N

nicolajanjak

Hey !!

I bought some beans from a breeder called BeLeaf… despite everything Els that’s been going round😳, I’ve been hearing rumours of his stock testing positive for having HPLVD virus and wanted to check in with anyone here that has possibly come across this virus before? Your help is greatly appreciated!!

I know it’s quite hard to tell during veg but I have added a couple pics of some plants I recently flipped over to flower. They have been flowering now for close to two weeks. I’m trying to avoid tossing them if I can as I live in South Africa and the exchange rate is terrible, I would be taking a huge loss if I had to toss them but understand that it can be spread and want to avoid that at all costs.

I have been researching a couple signs of HPLVD from lateral branching (more prominent in veg) to decreased THC & Trichome production, overlapping or small fan leaves and overall loss of vigour in the plant but I know that some plants may be asymptomatic only showing signs at around week 3 of flower which makes it difficult to tell.

I have attached some pics of the mother (grown from seed) plant, a clone I took 2 weeks ago, and 2 flowering plants that have been flowering for almost 2 weeks. I did some LST training on some of them which may explain some of the lateral branching. I also did a light defoliation on the plants were the flowers are starting to show. The two different flowering plants are the same strain Chimera #2S-1.

I appreciate any help in advance 🙏🙏
your plants do not have hplvd
it has a characteristic pattern easily recognisable when you had it long enough (lateral branching, like creepers)

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

your plants do not have hplvd
it has a characteristic pattern easily recognisable when you had it long enough (lateral branching, like creepers)
Hey @nicolajanjak thanks for the response. Have you had any plants with it before? Would love to know what the most common signs to look out for are?

N

nicolajanjak

Hey @nicolajanjak thanks for the response. Have you had any plants with it before? Would love to know what the most common signs to look out for are?
yes I had it. even if I don't like to call it hplvd.

My plants were growing vigorously during vegetative stage but with a ugly pattern

there was also some mosaic pattern appearing on one or two leaves, but very stealth
exactly like this (image found on the net)

here is a great video explaining how to spot the duds..

the low runners..

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

yes I had it. even if I don't like to call it hplvd.

My plants were growing vigorously during vegetative stage but with a ugly pattern

there was also some mosaic pattern appearing on one or two leaves, but very stealth
View attachment 2117008exactly like this (image found on the net)

here is a great video explaining how to spot the duds..

the low runners..
This is a great video !! Thanks so much

Sunasun

Sunasun

It's light stressed. I had clones grow like that until I lowered ppfd from 300 to 125. But, I also grow in an extremely dry area. Thank goodness for central cooling and heat to keep my indoor humidity at 50 percent.
But, lower your intensity for a few days to verify.
If I'm wrong, then sorry about the wasted days in advance.
Stay high

Copa

Copa

I'm growing 3 Alcapulco Gold Auto's, 1 of then is doing something similar. Everything is exactly the same for all 3 plants, soil, lights, ferts. The one stretched out and looks just like your leggy babe, while the other two are short bulky with buds connecting from top to bottom, not her. she is developing huge popcorn buds at the nodes and the leaves are fading fast to a pale, a branch I tied the top over and down is still bright green and clustering a bit... I just figure the genetics were stronger ruderalis traits in that seed, don't know but like the gents say....let er grow out. First I ever heard of this ailment...

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

It's light stressed. I had clones grow like that until I lowered ppfd from 300 to 125. But, I also grow in an extremely dry area. Thank goodness for central cooling and heat to keep my indoor humidity at 50 percent.
But, lower your intensity for a few days to verify.
If I'm wrong, then sorry about the wasted days in advance.
Stay high
Thanks for the response. What makes you think it’s light stress?
I know the leaves are tacoing a bit but those are only the leaves on the bud sights it seems the super frosty ones that are curling like that. Never seen this before. It definitely won’t hurt to try what you have mentioned tho.

Sunasun

Sunasun

Thanks for the response. What makes you think it’s light stress?
I know the leaves are tacoing a bit but those are only the leaves on the bud sights it seems the super frosty ones that are curling like that. Never seen this before. It definitely won’t hurt to try what you have mentioned tho.
Combination of curling and the white edges on all your leaves. I know this from my first several runs light stressing my own plants.

Latest posts

Top Bottom