Could use a little help

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

My lids are caving in on my Uc. They are all bowing and look like any day they could completely cave in. My plants are tied so if they do fall it could break allot of small branches. Has anyone figured out a good way to help this issue ?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Send an email to Dan at UC or go find UCMENOW and ask him. It might be quicker.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Send an email to Dan at UC or go find UCMENOW and ask him. It might be quicker.

I did he had some advice but no definite answer. Just wanted to see if anyone had a way so I don't have to experiment. They might make it but I would rather be safe. I lowered the water levels to see if that helps.

deacon1503

deacon1503

You could lift the lid and place yardsticks or somethin under the lid across the bucket for support in a cross pattern then tape the seams?

R

RMCG

I was thinking maybe lengths of PVC inside the bucket, from bottom to lid, to try and relieve some of the stress.

I suppose its a 'good' problem to have though. Plants are too heavy for the 'heavy harvest' lids. Could be worse.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

You could lift the lid and place yardsticks or somethin under the lid across the bucket for support in a cross pattern then tape the seams?

I was worried about the boards getting wet and mold even though it will only be for 3 weeks

I was thinking maybe lengths of PVC inside the bucket, from bottom to lid, to try and relieve some of the stress.

I suppose its a 'good' problem to have though. Plants are too heavy for the 'heavy harvest' lids. Could be worse.

Its the regular lids and I agree a good problem to have. I should have saw it coming thread after thread I see it happening don't know why I thought I was exempt. Pvc Pipes would work if I would have caught it earlier. I lifted a lid today and it fell in took 10 minutes to get it back. Thanks for the ideas guys I guess this is a problem allot of folks are gonna have sooner or later in the UC.

lazarus718

lazarus718

As far as fixing the problem now....only thing I can think of off the top of my head would be to secure a line around your plants trunk then tie it off to the ceiling somewhere above to take the pressure off the lid. It would need to be as un-abrasive as possible though so that you didn't cut into the trunk. Maybe wrap your tie off point with some foam insulation? Once the grow is finished you might try glueing a fitted piece of plexi-glass to the bottom of your lids, or even bolting it onto the lids. That should help to make the lids stronger. Haven't tried it though so you might run across some issues with the installation process. Only other way I could think of fixing the current problem would be to build some sort of a support around the buckets from the floor up to provide a force upwards against your lower branches, possibly some sort of stand with a padded clamp (not clamped tight to the trunk but secured tightly to the stand so that your lower branches rest on it). Good problem to have though bro!!!

M

MediMary

Well what it comes down to is the previous HH lids design.

The newest heavy harvest lids are shaped a bit differently to help prevent the plants from caving in, the first heavy harvest lids fit good when there was no water in the thing, but when you have water in the module it causes the module to bow out slightly on the sides. The new lids are wider throughout the middle to help this problem.

what was dans recommendation by the way?, cause the first system I got has the original design HH lids, then the lids I ordered a couple weeks ago are the new shape.

Do you know if you have the Original HH lid or the Newest HH lid?
the original are 13" wide, the newer ones are 13 1/2" wide and more rounded.

*edit,

guess u don't have the HH lids, my bad.

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Well what it comes down to is the previous HH lids design.

The newest heavy harvest lids are shaped a bit differently to help prevent the plants from caving in, the first heavy harvest lids fit good when there was no water in the thing, but when you have water in the module it causes the module to bow out slightly on the sides. The new lids are wider throughout the middle to help this problem.

what was dans recommendation by the way?, cause the first system I got has the original design HH lids, then the lids I ordered a couple weeks ago are the new shape.

Do you know if you have the Original HH lid or the Newest HH lid?
the original are 13" wide, the newer ones are 13 1/2" wide and more rounded.

*edit,

guess u don't have the HH lids, my bad.

Dan recommended putting a little wedge under the sides where they are bowing and lowering my water levels. I lowered my levels but was waiting to see if anyone had an ingenious idea before I just start experimenting. I might make it I just wanted to be prepared if it continues to get worse. I like the idea of tying them to the supports up top but I cannot get a clear line up where its needed. I think I decided to use the boards I have for my next scrog 1x2's and cut them 2 inches over the buckets on each side of the base of the plant and try to tie the base of the plant to them and let the bucket support them. I have a bunch of green stretch tie tape if I wrap it enough it should hold nicely without damaging the plant. I already have new HH lids coming for next time so I shouldn't have this problem again. They only need to hold for another 20 days. Fingers crossed

lazarus718

lazarus718

Got another idea....I use a trellising method called the "Florida weave" when I grow my tomatoes outdoors to support the heavy, fruit-laden vines as they grow. I believe that you would be able to utilize a similar design to help alleviate the downward stress being created by your plant's weight and direct those forces back into the framework of the weave. It will also help support any top heavy colas you have. I don't know the layout of your grow but google florida weave and you'll get an idea of what I am talking about. I'll post a pic of my tomato garden from last year for you too so you can see it in action.

I used electrical conduit as my posts, obviously you would have to find a way to build some sort of a framework to tie off to.
http://i1180.invalid.com/albums/x413/lazarus718/IMG_0684.jpg
You can see a little how the line wraps around the pole on the top right.
http://i1180.invalid.com/albums/x413/lazarus718/IMG_0749.jpg
This is towards the end of the season and you just can't see anything anymore, it was a jungle out there.
http://i1180.invalid.com/albums/x413/lazarus718/IMG_0803.jpg

Basically, if you can build the framework around your plants and then weave rope through them with this method they would be held up off of the lid tops. You might be able to utilize stuff already in your grow room.

R

RMCG

Dan recommended putting a little wedge under the sides where they are bowing and lowering my water levels. I lowered my levels but was waiting to see if anyone had an ingenious idea before I just start experimenting. I might make it I just wanted to be prepared if it continues to get worse. I like the idea of tying them to the supports up top but I cannot get a clear line up where its needed. I think I decided to use the boards I have for my next scrog 1x2's and cut them 2 inches over the buckets on each side of the base of the plant and try to tie the base of the plant to them and let the bucket support them. I have a bunch of green stretch tie tape if I wrap it enough it should hold nicely without damaging the plant. I already have new HH lids coming for next time so I shouldn't have this problem again. They only need to hold for another 20 days. Fingers crossed

Go pick up some shims from HD. You could slide them across the buckets on either side of the netpot. It would create a gap between the bucket and lid, but if its only for 3 weeks, you should make it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom