Couple Beginner Coco Questions

• Thread starter thatdude420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thatdude420

Hi farmers! ,

I'm new to thcfarmer but not new to growing this will be my first time in coco though and have done quite a bit of research on it which all I here is positive things about it but I still have a couple questions about it for ya coco growers I'm going to be running house and gardens full coco line with additives with their coco medium.

1. I have read that you must feed with nutes every time you water and you never should water with just pure tap water is this true?

2. I have choose to do 10 gal smartpots and decided I'll do a 80/20 mix with coco and rice hulls when I do final transplant into the 10 gals from 5 gals you think thats a good choice?

3. Should I even use cal/mag with coco like I did in soil with the H&G line of nutes?

4. Will I be ok without a drip or wick system and just have to water by hand? I don't think I'll be able to afford to setup a system like that this time around

5. And finally when I buy my clones if they don't come in coco and come in soil is it ok to transplant them from soil to coco when they have enough root mass or will the different pH levels etc. Cause me problems?

Thanks ! And I'll most likely be making a grow journal for ya guys so keep and eye out for it as I'll most likely have many more questions a for ya farmers(:

lollipopman

lollipopman

Hi farmers! ,

I'm new to thcfarmer but not new to growing this will be my first time in coco though and have done quite a bit of research on it which all I here is positive things about it but I still have a couple questions about it for ya coco growers I'm going to be running house and gardens full coco line with additives with their coco medium.

1. I have read that you must feed with nutes every time you water and you never should water with just pure tap water is this true?

2. I have choose to do 10 gal smartpots and decided I'll do a 80/20 mix with coco and rice hulls when I do final transplant into the 10 gals from 5 gals you think thats a good choice?

3. Should I even use cal/mag with coco like I did in soil with the H&G line of nutes?

4. Will I be ok without a drip or wick system and just have to water by hand? I don't think I'll be able to afford to setup a system like that this time around

5. And finally when I buy my clones if they don't come in coco and come in soil is it ok to transplant them from soil to coco when they have enough root mass or will the different pH levels etc. Cause me problems?

Thanks ! And I'll most likely be making a grow journal for ya guys so keep and eye out for it as I'll most likely have many more questions a for ya farmers:)
1. No i feed then water just depends on my ec run off
2. Depends if your growing trees, 5gal coco pots is big enought for most growers.
3.cant help ya never used h&g
4. Yes I water by hand and have feed lines to a pump. plus I think you should do it by hand till you get the hang of coco.
5.ive been gifted clones that was in soil and went straight into a coco smart pot with no problems.

Hope this helps

T

thatdude420

1. No i feed then water just depends on my ec run off
2. Depends if your growing trees, 5gal coco pots is big enought for most growers.
3.cant help ya never used h&g
4. Yes I water by hand and have feed lines to a pump. plus I think you should do it by hand till you get the hang of coco.
5.ive been gifted clones that was in soil and went straight into a coco smart pot with no problems.

Hope this helps
Thanks for the reply lollipop but yes I am growing trees and you did answer alot of my questions the reason I am choosing such large pots is because I need some big weight I got a 10x10 tent with 4 sections 3 of the sections are 1000watts and one 600 watts each section will have 2 ladies each in 10 gal pots I am scrogging these ladies too with about a 3x3 area with 1ft tall sides all the way around. Do you use cal/mag with what you run?

potter007

potter007

in coco ca/mag may be needed as it takes in alot of Ca before it releases N for the plant..(dont quote me) look up "Coco CEC" or cation exchange capacity...

the girls going soil to coco or coco to soil is ok.

feed by hand until roots are enough to handle the drip on constant and not rot..

if indoor 5 gal will suffice.. i have grown beast with 2 months veg time in 5 gals of coco.. 6-8 zips is easy if properly trained.. and i also have kept mothers in a 5 gallon for a year. lol sad but tru..

if outdoor then 10g is cool but veg her enough to actually feel those 10g UP.. lol (3 months atleast..) if your light system is more than enough a solid month or month and a half will be good.(1k watt atleast)

and ive run straight water out of the tap for 5 years plus.. but that was in houston..

lollipopman

lollipopman

When I was using cns17 no I wasn't. Switched to cyco now I am. Thinking of going back to cns17 and just doing the kiss method. Didn't see a increase with cyco but invest into some of caps biowar. Just be ready to feed more..

T

thatdude420

Ok cool thanks guys I plan on vegging until the ladies completely fill the screen all the way around so if it takes months and months I'll just have to deal with it I also chose to use the 10 gal smart pots because I have a bunch of them from a previous grow and would rather not go out and buy new ones. Do you guys think if I use 10 gals it will be too much?

But yeah I have plenty of light for them with 3000 watts total 2 under each 1000 and 2 under 600watts

Last edited:
lollipopman

lollipopman

I veg in 1gal then into 4x4 coco beds, I also veg in solo cups. This is my banana pebbles 6 week veg in a coco solo. Not sure you could do this in a soil. 27" tall

potter007

potter007

When I was using cns17 no I wasn't. Switched to cyco now I am. Thinking of going back to cns17 and just doing the kiss method. Didn't see a increase with cyco but invest into some of caps biowar. Just be ready to feed more..

I veg in 1gal then into 4x4 coco beds, I also veg in solo cups. This is my banana pebbles 6 week veg in a coco solo. Not sure you could do this in a soil. 27" tall View attachment 472153

lmao good veg pic in the solo cup.. and with that much light 10 gal would be perfect.. just let it veg long enough so you can get enough medicine for all the medium used.. it will be worth it. i promise, lol.

T

thatdude420

lmao good veg pic in the solo cup.. and with that much light 10 gal would be perfect.. just let it veg long enough so you can get enough medicine for all the medium used.. it will be worth it. i promise, lol.
Sweeet that's exactly what I was thinking just needed some experienced coco growers to back up my thoughts lol but thanks again for the replies guys! Feel free to give me any more tips and tricks you guys might have for me I'm open to anything (:

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I always do a slurry test of the coco before transplanting. Salty coco or undercharged coco can be a problem.

T

thatdude420

Slurry test is when you take say 2 oz of your coco and 2 oz of RO water and mix them in a clean cup for a couple minutes and then check the PH and EC(PPM).
Ohhh coool never thought of doing that but sounds like a great idea to make sure everything is copacetic in the coir I will definitely do that before I transplant for now on

Latest posts

Top Bottom