Couple questions before flipping; defoliation, etc.

• Thread starter FishGuru
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
FishGuru

FishGuru

Getting ready to flip to flower and wondering if I should take off some fans from the 3 big ones for better light penetration? Also wondering if it’s even worth keeping the runt in there or just cull it.
3 good ones are, in order:
Frostette, square one wedding cake/bbc and in house platinum tahoe.
Runt is a Lit marker that funny enough started way faster than the others.
Any tips or critique are welcome

Couple questions before flipping defoliation etc
Couple questions before flipping defoliation etc 2
Couple questions before flipping defoliation etc 3
Couple questions before flipping defoliation etc 4
FishGuru

FishGuru

They popped 3/6, transplanted into the current 5g on 3/19 and haven’t cut anything yet.
Wondering about topping too, want to max yield in my 2x4.
First indoor run.

FishGuru

FishGuru

And they are in a mix of Ocean Forest and 707 soil, haven’t needed to feed at all yet

Sloppygls

Sloppygls

They popped 3/6, transplanted into the current 5g on 3/19 and haven’t cut anything yet.
Wondering about topping too, want to max yield in my 2x4.
First indoor run.
How many notes does your plant have ? I think you should definitely top ‘‘em and defoliate them for more grow . Show pictures when do

Newty

Newty

I would top them, once they grow I would do a scrog or some other training and defoliate some a little later after they grow some more.

Why flip so early? They are not even 30 days old?
Are you just trying to harvest quicker?
I just see potential for a bigger harvest so I'm curious is all.

Sloppygls

Sloppygls

I would top them, once they grow I would do a scrog or some other training and defoliate some a little later after they grow some more.

Why flip so early? They are not even 30 days old?
Are you just trying to harvest quicker?
I just see potential for a bigger harvest so I'm curious is all.
I was wondering the same thing

Sloppygls

Sloppygls

Thanks a bunch guys, topped the 3 thriving ones and gonna let them ride for a bit.
I have a buddy who insists I flip them, I didn’t want to and you guys confirmed that so not happening for a bit.
I’ll get some pics later
Yea definitely Do not rush’s anything you will know when the time is right

Newty

Newty

Thanks a bunch guys, topped the 3 thriving ones and gonna let them ride for a bit.
I have a buddy who insists I flip them, I didn’t want to and you guys confirmed that so not happening for a bit.
I’ll get some pics later
I would look up the strains you are growing and see how much the after flip stretch is, this will help plan when to flip so you don't end up running out of height in your tent so your plants don't get to close to your light.
Glad you asked for advice, I think you may have been a little disappointed if you would of flipped now.

FishGuru

FishGuru

The three that I topped are all fairly similar so should be ok, I’ll give em 7-10 and see how things are looking. The other one seems intent to be lame but I’ll let it live.
Winging it on this first run and was almost afraid to ask lol

R

raybuck

Getting ready to flip to flower and wondering if I should take off some fans from the 3 big ones for better light penetration? Also wondering if it’s even worth keeping the runt in there or just cull it.
They look too young to flip yet. I would fim them after they get node 4 or 5 and then wait until the side branches stretch above the lower canopy before flipping. You shouldn't really trim fan leaves during veg imo. They are needed for photosynthesis at this point. Only trim yellow/dying leaves, usually lower ones. I don't defoliate until pistils start to show.

M

MellowRello

Top once, don't defoliate until end of week 3 of flip. Most people over defoliate IMO.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
The bigger ones need food there very light green they are probably wanting some n heavy food

The smaller runt looks like it’s still feeding of the soil however you could feed that one also
There big enough and after 4 weeks most of the food In the soil will be used up by the bigger ones by now

It’s the first thing that struck me was how light green they was. You want to sort that out before flipping.

Once you do end up flipping carry on feeding veg nutes for the first two weeks
And they are in a mix of Ocean Forest and 707 soil, haven’t needed to feed at all yet

I won’t comment defoliation as it’s to debatable and I can’t be bothered getting into it as it will kick off disagreements which I really can’t be bothered with today.

The one thing I will say about it is don’t do any during the stretch phase.

Btw how far is your light from the top of the plant as I do see some blistering witch might explain the tops being lighter in color than the bottom

Good luck

Last edited:
FishGuru

FishGuru

Thanks guys, they are topped so got that done, and will add in some feed at the next watering in a day or two. Should get me back on track.
They were definitely getting light burn earlier on, I thought I got it handled but will check once back on later. Running two xs1500 pro lights

Sloppygls

Sloppygls

Thanks guys, they are topped so got that done, and will add in some feed at the next watering in a day or two. Should get me back on track.
They were definitely getting light burn earlier on, I thought I got it handled but will check once back on later. Running two xs1500 pro lights
Show some pictures

Top Bottom