Couple Questions

• Thread starter giggy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
giggy

giggy

I was given a couple of ufo's to play with that are half burnt out. Looking at the drivers they are model 50w-hv350, output 45-65 vdc, constant current 630 ma, max output 45w. Ok if i understand this right i can run two vero 18 29v gen7 in series or one vero 29 60v gen7. Is this correct? If i do this does the new heatsink plate need to be flat like what came in it or do i need a finned heatsink plate to replace it with?

sixstring

sixstring

I was given a couple of ufo's to play with that are half burnt out. Looking at the drivers they are model 50w-hv350, output 45-65 vdc, constant current 630 ma, max output 45w. Ok if i understand this right i can run two vero 18 29v gen7 in series or one vero 29 60v gen7. Is this correct? If i do this does the new heatsink plate need to be flat like what came in it or do i need a finned heatsink plate to replace it with?
does that thing have a fan in it? if so you should be fine with the heatsink in it as long as the fans stays in there and working. yes both those cobs should work fine in there.i like the smaller vero option,uses more of the driver.on second glance,vero doesnt make a 60v cob that im aware of,they make a 69v which is too big but might actually light up at that low current.i would use the 2 smaller cobs.

giggy

giggy

I may be wrong on the 29 i do know they changed a lot of things. Thank you very much for the answers.

sixstring

sixstring

I may be wrong on the 29 i do know they changed a lot of things. Thank you very much for the answers.
yeah the vero 29 gen 7 comes in 3 dif voltages,37.6-52v- and 69v but that doesnt mean the vero 18 has a 60v,im just not aware of it because i never looked at the vero 18 data much.i just think if you can find 2 x 30v cobs it will use alot of the driver and have dual points of light so imo better than just 1 cob.

giggy

giggy

Ok and yes it was 52v. Yes they do have fans so i think i will give it a shot. Thank you for the info.

sixstring

sixstring

no problem,if ya have any more questions just tag me up in here bro. most the time we try to use as much of the driver as possible so 2 x 30v is better than a single 52v cob in most cases with that driver.unless one cob is way better than the other.peace

giggy

giggy

@sixstring what type of silicone is used in these cheap ass led lights? The small one that was sent to me just needs put back together. I think I'll give it to the wife for a indoor herb pot.

sixstring

sixstring

@sixstring what type of silicone is used in these cheap ass led lights? The small one that was sent to me just needs put back together. I think I'll give it to the wife for a indoor herb pot.

Silicone for what part? The heatsink and led board usually has thermal grease between them,like what you would buy at bestbuy for attaching a computer chip back onto a motherboard.artic silver is the one most guys guys buy from like amazon
For other parts of the fixture im not sure

giggy

giggy

No this cheap ass ufo had the glass siliconed then the heatsink plate was siliconed to the housing with no screws. I'm thinking aquarium silicone to put it back together. I got to get me some arctic silver for my diy lights, and I'm gonna go ahead and get the pico ezmate plugs as well. The bigger ufo's are the ones i'm going to convert but their heatsink plates are screwed down and have silicone bead as well.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

try this app

giggy

giggy

@sixstring maybe i'm thinking to much. ok i'm thinking about getting three heat sinks from heatsinkusa (link below) 3.5" wide x 22" long. 4 vero 18 per sink and the drivers from the ufo lights are model 50w-hv350, output 45-65 vdc, constant current 630 ma, max output 45w. so two drivers driving two veros each and go to a 3" fan for cooling of course i would make a cover for them per sink. the lights just have a 16 gauge flat aluminum plate in them so i'm thinking i should be good. my flower box is a 2' x 2' and i figure 12 veros drove soft would work nice. what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/3-500-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

sixstring

sixstring

@sixstring maybe i'm thinking to much. ok i'm thinking about getting three heat sinks from heatsinkusa (link below) 3.5" wide x 22" long. 4 vero 18 per sink and the drivers from the ufo lights are model 50w-hv350, output 45-65 vdc, constant current 630 ma, max output 45w. so two drivers driving two veros each and go to a 3" fan for cooling of course i would make a cover for them per sink. the lights just have a 16 gauge flat aluminum plate in them so i'm thinking i should be good. my flower box is a 2' x 2' and i figure 12 veros drove soft would work nice. what are your thoughts on this?

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/3-500-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

I like the plan and that many vero18 in a 2 x 2 will do awesome.but i think the weak spot is the heatsink size. Im not really informed on any of the hs usa profiles but 4 in wide x 1.5 in tall just sounds safer to me
But im sure with bigger fans and a custom shroud around it they would be fine.i just build everything for passive cooling and then i dont worry about fans or how to power them.but when your hacking an old led it makes sense to use the parts and drivers you have.i do know that is a awesome amount of light for a 2 x 2 .if you can find the vero18 in both 3000k and 3500k i would split it 50/50 and you would have an awesome full cycle light system.

giggy

giggy

I like the plan and that many vero18 in a 2 x 2 will do awesome.but i think the weak spot is the heatsink size. Im not really informed on any of the hs usa profiles but 4 in wide x 1.5 in tall just sounds safer to me
But im sure with bigger fans and a custom shroud around it they would be fine.i just build everything for passive cooling and then i dont worry about fans or how to power them.but when your hacking an old led it makes sense to use the parts and drivers you have.i do know that is a awesome amount of light for a 2 x 2 .if you can find the vero18 in both 3000k and 3500k i would split it 50/50 and you would have an awesome full cycle light system.
ok thanks i'll check the 4's. the lights have 120mm fans but i have a bunch of the 3" fans laying around. was thinking just 3000k but i agree the 50/50 mix does look better.

sixstring

sixstring

ok thanks i'll check the 4's. the lights have 120mm fans but i have a bunch of the 3" fans laying around. was thinking just 3000k but i agree the 50/50 mix does look better.

Yeah i might be being a lil picky on your heatsink choice bro,with good airflow you will probably be fine

giggy

giggy

@sixstring was that you that posted to my thread on the other site? i know there are a lot more led builds there but i still don't post that much there anymore. that was one of the first sites i joined and know a few folks there.

sixstring

sixstring

said some people water cool leds.
Ah yes thats me.theres some interesting threads on it there.just type watercooled led or cob in the search.but i will give you the jist of it.the cooler you keep the cobs the brighter they are and the longer they last.just so long as ya dont freeze em haha.

Top Bottom