Coyote grow location thoughts?

• Thread starter jameson47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jameson47

Location: Southwest Virginia boardering North Carolina on eastern steps of the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Abandoned 50 acre family farm in very private location. Abandoned because kids did not want to live in that rural of a location. Road to old house is quarter mile back into mountains off paved road. Only old time locals even know there is an old farm there. Road is no more than a rarely used lumber road. The land is a private valley backing onto mountains and is part of the mountains. The land is posted, so no hunters or fishermen. Streams are too small for fish anyway. Plus, the land is surrounded on all sides by 500 acres of land owned by a family. The family uses it as a private hunting preserve. They don't go on the 50 acres of land I'm referring to, though. And they don't allow anyone outside their family to hunt their land.

The land has excellent southern and eastern views for sunlight. Some western views. There are tree lines. Most of the land is grown up and wild. Only the house is occupied by a lady who is 84. Shoots first and asks questions later.... Typical mountain woman.

Soil on the 50 acres has lain fallow for about 40 to 45 years. Small stream runs through this valley. Natural springs sprout everywhere. Some swampy land with soil like quicksand. Water is pure & near source of springs. Land was farmed for 200 years until about 1970. Timber was cut back in the 80's, but now has grown again with populars, pines, some oaks. Owner has no intention of cutting timber again.

Several possible locations for single or double plants to be placed in coyote style grow using only native natural soil. There is a pasture that is grown up. Pasture was used for one or two milk cows. The cow shed has fallen down and has pretty much rotted away. The shed was about 40 feet uphill from the stream, with a gradual (Almost flat) incline. I'm wondering if the ground floor inside the shed would be a good place to grow, considering the manure and the rotted wood.

There was a pig pen right next to the stream. It is a bit shady where the pigs were located. But I'm wondering if the soil where the pig shelter was would be a good grow place. Again, manure and rotted away wood.

There was a large garden space at one time, where corn, beans, tomatoes, potatoes, strawberries, cantalope, squash, lettace, cabbage, watermelon, black eyed peas, string beans, etc., were grown to feed 10 kids and 5 adults. There was a blacksmith's shop next to the garden area. The garden has grown over with trees now. The stream runs next to the garden area. Wild Fox grapes grow on the banks of the stream. I'm wondering if the fallow soil of the garden is still good or if the trees have sapped the nutrients. And I'm wondering how close to the stream I could place plants.

The swampy or boggy area is behind the blacksmith's shop. Of course the shop has long ago fallen in and rotted away. There is a spring there. The spring flows away from the garden area and all of that soil is very wet. I'm wondering if it is too wet to grow. And I'm wondering if the alder trees with the wild Fox grapes would be too close to the stream to hide plants inside.

There is a great disadvantage to this land. It is infested with snakes.... Big snakes. No one has been around to keep them killed out. I've run into a grandaddy copperhead that was as big around as my arm. I killed several copperheads within the space of one week. And there are rattlesnakes, too. Some say there are cottonmouth moccasins, but I'm not sure. There are water snakes that are quite large.

Also, there are black bears and mountain lions living in the area. Maybe some wolves have come back, too. The mountain lions are big enough to take a man down easily. The mountain woman who lives in the house has seen the black bears come into her yard. She has heard the mountain lion, but hasn't seen it. Many other animals come into her yard. There are raccoons, foxes, possums, deer, turkey and more snakes. The mountain woman's dogs and cats keep coming up missing. She keeps big guard dogs, too.

I'm considering a grow of an Indica Dominant strain. I want maximum potency for a long lasting high. I like a mellow high, which does not place a strain on my already far overstressed and liver damaged body. I have body aches already, so I don't want or need the kind of stone that makes me want to twitch and grind my teeth. Cottonmouth is not desirable. Dry mouth does not help. Munchies are okay as long as a meal will satisfy it. I prefer a state of stoned mind that sends me into deep thoughts and allows me to explore my universe. A heavy mind stone is okay for me. Otherwise, I don't feel like I have accomplished much by getting stoned. I'm retired, single and spend most of my time alone, so I'm not worried about driving or having visitors come over much. I'm a loner and I like it that way. It would take a very strong woman to be able to live with me, so after three divorces, I really don't care anymore. Thus, I just need a nice stone to make life a little better for myself, take away some pain and put my mind into the heavens for a while.

Dunge

Dunge

I'm checking in just to see what you end up doing. I'd like to see you round up as many seeds as you can get for the spring and let's find out what grows where.

J

jameson47

Hey Dunge. Yes, I'd like to see what grows best where, also. However, to begin with I've never grown before and must learn from scratch. So, there may be much trial and error. Also, I'm not physically able to take care of a large grow. Nor am I able to purchase a number of strains for experimentation. These are two reasons for a coyote grow using all natural soil, etc. And it is the reason for an outdoor grow compared to a much safer indoor grow. This is bootleg liquor country, so we have the helicopters looking for moonshine stills and pot plants. A natural grow which leaves the plants blending in with surrounding flora in greenery would be better, I think.

Plus, I am not really concerned with the amount of yield. I only want enough to fill my own needs. The rest can go to others who live far away from here. And they can have it for free. No one locally knows about my appreciation of a great stone. And it is going to stay that way.

This said, then growing for high potency versus a high yield suits me fine. A super potent pound of pot will last me very well for a lengthy time. And I'd prefer one potent pound to having ten pounds of medium or above average stone weed.

Therefore, if expert growers can send me in the right direction for which strains will grow best in which soils and which sources can provide those exact beans, that would be a good start for me.

I can do the work and I can fight the snakes, the bear, the wolves and the mountain lion, but I need expert advice concerning the growing part. So, if someone wishes to experiment using this land opportunity with their own beans and their instructions on how they want me to grow them, I'll be happy to comply. I follow instructions very well. I expect to be able to travel to the location and watch over it about once a week.

I've never dealt drugs before and have no intention of starting. I like my freedom very much.

If a person wishes to try putting me to work using their beans and expert instructions, then they can have all the rest of the yield after I cut my part out. In total, I want to end up with about one pound for myself. I'll share that with my brother and oldest son.

J

jameson47

My definition of Max Potency.

Since I have said that I'm only interested in maximum potency, maybe it would be good if I state exactly what I mean by that. I'll do so by a description of the kind of stone I've experienced in the past.

After Vietnam my brother, who was Green Beret and spoke fluent Vietnamese, was good friends with the local village chief. The village chief provided my brother with only the finest weed, heroin and girls. The chief was happy to provide the very best seeds to him to bring back to America. So, he was able to hand pick and bring home seeds from the best he had smoked in Nam.

Once home, my brother grew the beans. The end result was of such potency that one hit off a joint was all you needed. So, you could light it up and take one drag and put the joint out. That's all you needed. And the high came on quickly and stayed for hours. If memory serves right, the high lasted about 6 to 8 hours.

What was the high like? Mellow, smooth, calm, stare into space and fly. It was a happy high. There was a lot of conversation between anyone sharing. Although, the subject kept changing because no one could remember what the subject being discussed was. But we had a good time discussing anyway.

There was no paranoia. There was no body stress. Sitting comfortably in one place and talking for hours was perfectly fine to do. If I was alone with no one to talk to, then my mind would fly around and wonder about many things. And sometimes when I came down from the high I could remember what I'd thought about. It was definitely a stay at home high. Riding around on back country roads would result in us getting very lost. But this was fun sometimes, too.

That is the kind of high I'm looking for. I've heard that potency has been technically increased over the years. And I've heard that different kinds of highs for different purposes have been perfected. So, I can get the super high without getting the super twitches and teeth grinding. I can find a 'connoisseur' strain just for me.

Now, that would be expecting a lot. However, experts who have crafted their trade for many years would know about this and would know who can achieve it. And they would know who is a great salesman pushing 'The Best Shit Ever' when what that salesman actually has is mediocre stuff for novices who don't know any better.

That's an excellent reason for smoking from the ounce before you buy it. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I can do the work and I can fight the snakes, the bear, the wolves and the mountain lion, but I need expert advice concerning the growing part. So, if someone wishes to experiment using this land opportunity with their own beans and their instructions on how they want me to grow them, I'll be happy to comply. I follow instructions very well. I expect to be able to travel to the location and watch over it about once a week.

what about the gun toting 84 year old lady?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol gotya man - just checking - good luck

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

If you plant it they will grow. (who knows how good though LOL) Good luck man

-nugzz

J

jameson47

Now, don't get the wrong idea. I'm perfectly able to buy a pack of beans for myself. Even here I could use expert advice about which to buy and where. Advice about which of these locations would be best... That'd be great, too. Maybe about ten plants would be enough for me to grow. And maybe I could spread those between the locations I've mentioned in my initial post.

J

jameson47

Well, Folks, in all fairness I must say that the majority of the information I've asked for is probably already here on this forum. If so, then it is my job to search out the information I need and not be so lazy as to ask for it to be handed to me on a silver platter. Plus, with the 'Smoke Reports' offered here, this should give me an idea of which strains are most potent and who seems to have the best grasp for appreciation of the same type high I would appreciate the most.

Also, quite possibly I have given too much information about myself and my location away for serious growers to feel comfortable to be of help. If I've given too much away, then I deserve to not hear from anyone with specific help.

My only excuse is that I like to do things the right way the first time. I don't have years to play with in order to perfect techniques in growing. Plus, I'm not sure how dedicated I'd be to the process, anyway.

So, thank you to all who have responded to this post. I appreciate your help and your encouragement.

Jameson

Dunge

Dunge

Please don't be dissuaded from continuing this thread by its quiet nature. This one will take some time to develop, but could be an excellent record of a project many of us would love to follow.
My first thought would be for the overgrown cow field. I would cut away a patch of turf about 5 feet in diameter and set a bunch of seed as early as local garden practices allow. If you get ten seedlings in your clearing, remember that some will be male and in need of culling.
Water fertilize and weed, and learn to identify females.
I have never done it, but many have written of cloning cuttings and placing them under 12 on 12 off lighting to get them to express sexual disposition. This could be a fun project as I can attest, cloning can be a challenge.
You probably would benefit from them not towering above the field plants, so Indica genetics, and topping as needed should suffice.
Your location sounds ideal for great productivity but pests and pathogens can change everything.
I call on fellow farmers to encourage Jameson go tell this story in picture and verse, so that this time next year we can learn which of the locals like to eat MJ and how quickly one can get treatment for venomous misadventure.
Subscribe NOW!

M

mapinguari

Jameson, your posts are great reading. I hope you carry your grow through and document it here. I do think mentioning specific locations is a little sketchy, but I'm new here too. Hopefully LE have better things to do than harass a quixotic retired dude looking for a nice stone.

That said, your description of the stone you seek is, for me at least, a reminder of how much the things you mention are the product of the environment and our personal circumstances.

I do hope that you can find that place, or another one equally worthwhile, communing with your native soil swamp bud.

J

jameson47

Haha! Well said, 'mapinquari'. Yes, I probably am "Foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals." And you could have added "Retired Old Fart who is looking for a nice stone", as well. Guilty as charged.

From exploring this website, I think I need to follow someone's advice and begin my quest by reading these two books written by Greg Green. In "The Cannabis Grow Bible" and "The Cannabis Breeder's Bible" I think I will find a good starting point, considering that I know nothing about growing things, especially Cannabis.

And I've read some 'Smoke Reports' that seem to give me a direction, also. There are reports by seveal people and all are interesting. The one I like best was written by 'Rabbi' concerning 'Star Dawg', which were seeds by 'TopDawg Seeds' and were grown by 'greenthumbdanny'. I thought the report by 'Rabbi' was very thorough. From what others have stated about 'Rabbi', it sounds like he is unbiased, scientific in research and is exceptionally gifted and experienced in his Cannabis palate. I fully believe him when he states in his report that 'Star Dawg' provides a killer high.

Having seen the pictures of the new growhouse setup by 'greenthumbdanny', I can see that he knows what he is doing. He has developed a finite technique and is further perfecting it. His work speaks volumns for itself.

'TopDawg Seeds' does not show any of the 'Star Dawg' seeds available via "THCbay". I might communicate with then directly.

And 'Rabbi's report is for indoor grown plants. So, there is the question of how well these would grow in an outdoor setting. Further, there is the question of how they would grow in an organic outdoor setting, using minimal maintenance of the plants.

Of course, there should be some watering done. There should be some trimming done and maybe some topping. And these are actions I'll need to learn from Greg Green's books. The information is here on this website, but it does not seem to be concentrated in one easy place. It seems to be spread throughout many threads and posts.

I think it would be greatly beneficial to read as many of those posts and threads as possible, especially considering the many tidbits and jewels of information that can be discovered in them. But I think I need to lay a foundation that can be built upon first. I still have no idea what some of the lingo means. And the genetics are way beyond me and a mile high above my head, even if I am not stoned.

However, maybe there is a DVD Video performed by an acclaimed expert, who can teach the ABC's of Cannabis showing video of what he is talking about in the process. For instance, I have no idea what a female or is male plant looks like or where to look for the signs that determine it. Sexing is something I'll need to learn. I have no idea where to cut in order to top a plant. I have no idea how to trim the plant. So, if there is a well put together video, I'd be interested in a copy of it.

I tend to agree with 'Dunge' about placing plants in the cow pasture. I'd like to put some where the cow shed has fallen in and rotted away, especially. I think the years of manure build up, plus the number of years the manure has aged could have created a potent spot to place plants. I'd be interested to see how two plants grow there. One planted in the native soil and the other planted in a prepared hole. The hole should be about 2 foot in diameter and about two foot deep. Then the hole should be filled with manure scrappings from the top soil around the cow shed.

'mapinguari' suggests a 'Native Soil Swamp Bud'. That certainly would provide the plant with plenty of good water. I'd have a question concerning how close to the constantly wet soil could the plant be placed. And, of course, which strain would live there and thrive?

And 'Dunge', two big copperheads have already almost got me. That granddaddy was coiled inches from me feet ready to strike. He didn't strike, but if he had, I'd have been bitten. Another large copperhead struck at me but missed. I moved my leg just in time. Of course, I'll wear boots that come up to my knees, but that only stops snakes that strike low.

The bear probably wouldn't give me a problem, as long as there are no cubs around. The mountain lion is stealthy, though. Normally, you don't see them until it is too late. They strike from behind and try to break your neck as quickly as possible. I'll have a .410 shotgun for snakes, but I'd need something bigger for the mountain lion, if I did get a chance to see him before he attacks. However, there seems to be a large number of deer around. Maybe the mountain lion gets all he wants to eat culling out the deer.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
go strapped with side holstered .45 - have snake shot loads in the first round or 2 - not as clumsy as trying to tote a shotty and should be fine for mountain lions - though it might juts piss off a big black bear

J

jameson47

Hey 'motherlode'. That's a good idea to strap on the .45 sidearm. Plus, this will free my hands to carry other things.

Maybe I should take the gun toting 84 year old lady with me. Actually, she got the granddaddy copperhead. She splattered him all over the place. Maybe the bear and the mountain lion would think twice before messing with her, too.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
lol - not a bad idea - never know when youll need backup

D

DrDanko

Jameson: Here's a few tips for you. First, it sounds like you have a GREAT potential location. I'd stay away from the really wet areas. Having easy access to water is key, but you don't want to try to grow in soil that never dries out unless you're an overly experienced farmer(and even then it's iffy). As far as the animals go, they shouldn't be an issue as far as the plants go, and it sounds like you're used to these types of run-ins with bears, snakes, etc. Just be careful what sort of amendments you use in the soil. I don't have time to go into soil recipes right now, but avoid using Blood Meal outdoors unless you bury it DEEP( I avoid it altogether outdoors). Animals like bears, skunks, maybe even mountain lions, will dig for it and that's NO GOOD! As far as strains, there are so many that fit what you're looking for. Looking at those Smoke reports like you mentioned earlier is a good idea. As far as numbers of plants go...you could easily get 3-4 oz per plant with little experience. One rule of thumb when growing outside is to expect the worst, most plant double the number of plants they want to harvest in case some die off or are eaten/killed by pests. So I think 8-10 plants is a good target number to make sure you get a solid pound or more. Here's a link to an outdoor gorilla grow thread from this past summer. Should be lots of good info there for you! Tabor, the guy who started the thread, is a cool dude so ask him questions. I'll try to come back and add to this. Good luck! -DrD.

J

jameson47

Hey 'DrDanko'. Thank you for the tips. And thank you for referring me to 'Tobor the 8th Man' and his '2010 World Guerilla Grow Show and Think Tank'. I'll subscribe to his thread.

I've already made a note of his suggestion to desolve a 325ml Aspirin tablet in a gallon of water for starting seeds to sprout and grow at first. Plus, it is good in a spray bottle.

I look at all these outdoor grows and I see plants out in the open and not hidden from view. I'm wondering how that appears from above when planes and helicopters fly over.

I like your idea about the 8 to 10 plants. Now I'm wondering if I could group them together and put a fence around them to keep the deer out. One potential grow location has a slight canopy of tree leaves from small trees, but sunlight still makes it to the ground. It might be possible to use the small trees to mount chicken wire from ground to about 5 foot high. Spray paint the chicken wire brown or green. Dig the 8 to 10 holes and fill with something organic.... Maybe black soil from the cow shed and pig shed. And much of the natural top soil has rich compost a couple of inches deep, too.

Can I put sweet lime at the bottom of the hole and still call it an organic grow? How much does it help to line the holes with soluble landscaping cloth?

For watering, I'd try to use existing animal trails to the stream. Maybe water the plants once a week, unless it rains a lot. I'll try to use animal trails to and from the grow site, also. If I see the bear or the mountain lion on the trail, I'll yield the right-of-way. If I see a policemen on the trail, I'll generate some natural compost.

B

Budluver

Best advice I ever got was to pick strains that are suitable for your climate. Obviously the further south,the longer the growing season.A Nevilles Haze isn't going to finish outdoors in Maine but would in Va.
Try TH Seeds Mendecino MadnessIt's a great potent outdoor strain.
.A lot of Canadian seed companies have good outdoor beans too..Good luck.
P.S.Most any seeds sold on here will finish where you are especially the pre98 crosses like Fubu Kush.

B

Budluver

Jameson..if you have any Nettles on your property,sometimes known as" seven minute itch".Plant your seeds there.They will thrive.You should find some in the old cow pasture where cows stood for periods of time..Perhaps a gateway to another field etc.

Top Bottom