Coyote grow location thoughts?

• Thread starter jameson47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fink

I dont have any experience growing outdoors, although if I had that property its all I'd do with my time!

What DrDanko said seems good advice esp keeping away from overly wet areas and rotting wood. Mould is a growers biggest enemy.

Remember keeping it simple is the best piece of advice for growing IMO. This would relate to only adding a few amendments to the soil and feeding (which you might not need if the soil is fertile).

Read some of the outdoor threads and see what they put in the ground and what or if they feed, then just use the most common 2 or 3. With sunshine, water and a bit of love nature will do the rest.

On strains I'd be wary of thinking that indica always relates to mellow non paranoid. You will have to grow and smoke some different strains to get a handle on what type off high you want as everyone has different body chemistry and every pheno will be different.

Regarding the Chemdog Kush craze at the moment dont get too caught up, because almost everyone online will say its the best. I've grown and smoked ECSD and while it was super potent, smelly and tasty it wasn't a keeper for me. It just wasn't for me - same with Sensi Star.

All I'm sayin is that dawg/kush might be perfect for you but I think its best to run as many different strains as you can handle (with your property I'd run about 500!!!lol). After this first run you will have a much clearer idea of what works in grow and high.

Having said all that I recommend:

Tikal from ACE seeds - lovely warm high mellow just nice and potent, and it is one of the easiest strains to grow. ACE seeds have lots of outdoor strains although some on the extreme sativa tip.

Mental Floss from Chimera - All the plants had unique flavours and strong high. Pretty much anything from Chimera will be amazing. He has a great range of genetics from proper sativas to full on indicas.

Pine Queen Haze from Sonic seeds - Just a fantastic plant and high. One of the best combinations of sativa and indica stones.

Hope this info might be of some help! GOOD LUCK Because growing will change your life!!!!

J

jameson47

Hello 'Budluver'. Thank you for the suggestion of planting where the Nettles grow. I'll look for them in the pasture. And thanks for the recommendation of "Nevilles Haze", "Pre98 Fubu Kush" and for 'TH Seeds' "Mendecino Madness". Yes, I think I'll trust seeds from this website to get me going in the right direction.

Hello 'fink'. Thank you for your advice to try more than a couple of strains, smoke them and see which strain seems to best suit my body chemistry. Also, thanks for the suggestion of 'ACE Seeds' strain "Tikal", "Mental Floss" from 'Chimera', and "Pine Queen Haze" from 'Sonic Seeds'.

Since I am going to limit a first grow to no more than 10 plants in order to keep things simple for myself, maybe I should try about 5 strains. That would be two plants from each strain. Or maybe I should try three plants from each strain or three strains with one plant as a back up for one strain making ten plants. Then, with a grow under my belt, I could consider something different for the following grow season.

F

fink

If your only growing 10 then I'd only pick 3 strains and make sure they are easy growing good newbie plants. With three strains you can start all 30 or so seeds and then select 10 of the best most vigorous to flower.

Also have a go at cloning its really easy and means you can keep the best for next round. You never know when you'll get something exceptional!

F

fink

Forgot to mention I have grown the Tikal fem seeds as well as the regular and the fems are just as good without the hassle of males. Fems get a lot of stick but they can be a good short cut for a newb. Only get them from good seed banks though. Have heard bad reports of dutch passion and nirvana

J

jameson47

Hey 'fink'. Yes, three strains sounds like a good beginning. And going with feminized seeds sounds like a winner, too. I think I need to keep is simple at first. I can learn more as I go along and understand how it all fits together better. And I'll need to learn how to clone, as well. I wondered how you go about keeping moms and other stuff for the next grow season. So, cloning is one way to do it.

T

TheGreenHand

Jameson47 I'm an outdoor grower myself and you've been getting great advice. I've grown in Central Texas and East Texas close to Louisiana and I can tell you from experience "outdoor growing is fun". Just watch for a couple things though, make sure that your grow area does'nt get an overcast of tree shadows, it's good to fell any trees in the area of your plants. Larger Trees in the area can play a big factor in plant productivity. Also if wildlife is prevalent your area (i.e. rabbits and deer) you should prepare for that aswell. Rabbits are pretty easily detered but really love cannabis for some reason. Deer on the other hand are a little harder to keep away. I found that you can purchase coyote urine at your local hunting supply store and that deters deer from snooping around for long. I've tried human urine and that did'nt scare em at all.

Dunge

Dunge

I purchased a 5 pack of feminized AK48 from Nirvana. This might be a good candidate. The only problem with the order was that the two varieties purchased had their labeling reversed. Stoners.
Overwintering moms is a great subject. Any experienced growers care to step up here? From my experience I would imagine that a few plants under florescence could be slow grown through the winter months.
I can see that you are on your way down a slippery slope.
I was given two clones in June 2010 and for me the fun just won't stop.

420king-MASSES

seems like your looking for a sativa hits you in the 3rd eye

B

Budluver

No problem Jameson.I wasn't recommending Nevilles Haze.It is not a beginner strain.Just using it as an example of a long flowering strain.
I have @ 10 yrs experience growing outdoors which isn't a lot but it's not difficult.
Choose the proper strains for your latitude,mix some well rotted cow manure where you want to plant( now is a good time for that,and again in early spring),Make sure your spot is going to get morning sun.It's important to burn off mold causing condensation once the nights get colder. You want five hours direct sun a day minimum for optimum results.The more the better of course.
Best way to learn is just go for it.Stay away from Miracle grow if you can.I recommend guano teas..peace
P.S. Mental Floss is a great suggestion.How humid are your late summers?

J

jameson47

Hey 'TheGreenHand'. From your experience, if I leave small trees alive around and near my plants in order to help hide my grow from being viewed from planes and helicopters, that would be a mistake. I take it that the reduced sunlight would hinder plant growth and the tree roots would rob the plants of nutrients and water.

Also, my idea of fencing in the area with chicken wire from ground to about 5 foot high might keep the deer out, but the rabbits would go under the wire. What keeps rabbits away? Rabbit stew? Oh, too many rabbits for only one stew to cut into their numbers. If I eat too many stews, it might make me fat. Then I couldn't get through the gate to tend the plants. But with a fence re-enforced by coyote urine around the base, this should take care of the deer.

Welcome back, 'Dunge'. Thanks for recommending the "Feminized AK48" from 'Nirvana'. It sounds like overwintering moms will require some kind of an indoor grow area, even if it is small. So, you recommend clones over taking moms to the next grow season?

Hello '420king-MASSES's'. Yes, if my 3rd Eye gets a little bleary, that's fine by me. If Sativa will get me there, I'll be loving the Sativa. With my head in the right place (Usually not stuck up my butte), then all I'll need to worry about is where my body is. But if Sativa can make me forget I had a body when I came in the room and took a hit, well.... Out of mind is out of site. Or was that the other way around?

J

jameson47

Welcome back, 'Budluver'. I'm at about 36 degrees N. Our summers are very humid, especially in August. The temperature can hit the high 90's in July and August. The humidity can hit the 90% level and above, too.

It makes good sense that morning sun is more important, since it is needed to burn off any dew or moisture which could cause mold. It is sounding more and more like I won't be able to use a leaf canopy to hide my plants from being viewed from above.

My brother is coming in this weekend. I'll ask him if he wants to help with a grow. Two can dig holes and fill them faster than one can. Two makes it easier to put up fencing, as well. Plus, he has grown before. I haven't. I'm the dreamer. He's the genius.

F

fink

With humidity that high you should defiantly grow some sativas they will be fine and may even like it. I think you should stay away from indoor specific genetics and only go for whats working outdoors for people. Like I said before I'm no outdoor grower though.

Keeping clones is as easy as having a cupboard space with small florescent light CLF or T5.

Id fence of an area and grow some other plants in with the ganja to a heli it will just look like a garden area.

J

jameson47

Now, why didn't I think of that, 'fink'. Way to go! Yes, I like the idea of creating a vegetable garden making it an obvious garden with large plants like corn. Then throw the cannabis in between to hide it. Sounds good. Then put a fence around that to keep the deer out. Use cat litter around the base of the fence to keep out the groundhogs and rabbits. Human waste around the fence base might help, too. With that, then paths to and from won't matter. Making noise while watering won't matter. Working in the garden pulling weeds and tilling soil won't matter. Spending a lot of time in the garden won't matter, because that is what you are supposed to do in a vegetable garden. Cool!

And hiding 10 plants inside that should be fairly easily done.

Time to find someone with a tractor and a plow. Once the ground has been turned manual labor can do the rest.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
cat litter? I never heard of that...

used or fresh from the bag?

motta-tokka

motta-tokka

Great post! Very interesting potential grow. I think you have alot of options and as far as strains go I would try to give a various selection a try instead of just 1 or 2 if possible. This way in the future when they are done and you have 10+ strains to choose from, you should be able to find the one that you like the most. I am in california so getting a strain costs $15 dollars, not $150 for a 10 pack of 1 strain.

On the location I think you have the best knowledge out of anyone on here on where would be the best place to plant in your area. Sometimes its best to think out loud so thats okay too ;) I would consider your safely as well if you are tending to a plant to have a bear or snake creek up on you.

I would like to suggest a solar powered pump connected to a res or a stream on a timer that you can program on a weekly basis. Maybe the ones for the sprinklers would do or the rainbird ones that are for DIY irrigation. This way you don't have to frequent it often and worry about more important things. By the time you come back it will be a monster.

Enjoy and happy growing.

J

jameson47

Hey 'motherlode'. The cat litter came from 'shamus dolan' in a post on the 'Tobor the 8th Man' thread "World 2010 Guerrilla Grow Show & Think Tank" page 9, post #90. I'm gradually working my way through the 80 pages. Shamus said to take 'used' cat litter to spread around the grow area in order to get rid of groundhogs. Rabbits are another matter and he didn't say what would keep them away. Another post said that coyote urine would keep the rabbits away. That was in Tobor's thread, too.

J

jameson47

Hey 'motta-tokka'. Yep, a lot of options. The more I think about the vegetable garden approach the more I like it. Now, I have to decide on a strategy for the garden. Do I leave it alone, as many people do these days, and let the vegetable garden become overgrown with weeds? Or do I take care of the garden the way my grandparents did years ago?

My grandparents grew food for a family of 15. Their garden was the main source of food for the year. Therefore, each day during the summer most of us kids and a few adults were out in the garden pulling weeds, watching for snakes and watching for signs that animals were eating our food.

Grandma kept a .22 rifle nearby to shoot critters that were destroying plants or eating the produce. When shot, rabbits and such would become extra meat on the dinner table. Grandma would take care of snakes with a switch to save bullets.

The chickens were free ranging and they would eat bugs off the plants. But we had to watch out for the chicken hawks or one of our chickens would be its dinner. Grandpa could knock them out of the sky with the .22.

Strategy wise, the more confused the vegetation in the garden the better the cannabis will be hidden. However, produce from a vegetable garden has some value, too. And these days when life is looking a little unsure, it might be a good thing to have already started a vegetable garden. If the world goes crazy, then I'd have something to eat. And the forest is full of potential dinners, considering deer, rabbits, squirrels, wild hogs, turkeys, raccoon and even snake if I am desperate.

So, grow it wild and let it go to weed (Not to pot)? Or grow it like I'm looking to it for next year's food source? Safety wise, it is better to keep the garden clear of weeds so you can see the snakes before one of them gets you. Safety from prosecution wise, it is better to let the garden go wild.

Probably the best defense against a bear or a lion would be big dogs. The dogs wouldn't stand a chance against the bear or the lion, but they could at least keep me safe long enough for me to get away or shoot the animal. In the case of the bear, my .45 might not stop him, so it would be time to get as far away as possible. I'd feel bad about the dogs, though. Snakes are a matter of watching very closely before you put your hands somewhere or your foot or leg somewhere. Since there are so many snakes on the property, that is an excellent argument for keeping the garden clear of weeds and overgrowth. Once a copperhead or rattlesnake is in his element, it is very difficult to see them. It really is hard to see a 'snake in the grass', if the grass is high.

The garden spot is right next to a small stream or creek. It is so small, we call it a branch. So, great water is very close. June and July can be very dry. August can be dry, too. For watering the crops, I'm not sure what I will do. If I water the cannabis only, which should be about 10 plants, I can carry the water from the stream. But that would leave the vegetables with less water and could cause them to grow poorly. And their deeper green coloring could suffer making the cannabis stand out with its deep green color.

I think the strategy for how much land to plow should be made considering two things. First thing to consider is the possibility of a larger grow the following season and going even larger in seasons after that. So, from that standpoint, it may be best to have as much land as possible plowed up. Second thing to consider is that I don't want to have the man with the tractor and plow to return any more than is necessary, potentially exposing my true intent for the land. If a lot is plowed, whatever I don't use the first season can lay fallow until the next year. And a larger vegetable garden will provide more cover for cannabis plants, plus provide fresh organic food for me and a number of other people. But if there is a large vegetable garden, the vegetables will require more work than the cannabis plants will require.

Purchase of a water pump will need to wait on the money to become available. I may trade fresh organic vegetables and cannabis with fellow growers. But I don't expect this to generate any money. I prefer the barter system. This helps everyone. Whoever I trade with won't be anyone local. I'll look for someone at least a 100 miles away from my location. And no one will ever see my grow location. I don't want to see anyone else's location, either.

J

jameson47

I've had an idea. As I am digging holes for the plants and filling them, if I should happen to kill a rattlesnake or copperhead, I'm wondering what it would do the the plant if I put the dead snake at the bottom of the hole with some sweet lime. Then I could finish filling the hole with whatever soil I'm going to use. Would that cause the cannabis to be spoiled? If I did that and developed my own unique strain, then I could call it "Snake Bite".

420king-MASSES

ya brotha a sativa will do you proper an indica has more narcotic [opiate] type qualities couchlocks ya a sativa makes you able to function physically while keeping your head in the clouds a durban poison would do you perfectly and shes super quick for a sativa 8 week period outdoors and she can produce bumper harvests of anise,black licorice smelling dank

J

jameson47

Hey '420king-MASSES'. A "Durban Poison" sounds like Smoke rising right from my very own heart using my ears as a chimney.

I think I need to visit friends in California, get a prescription for Medical MJ and then smoke a different strain each day. I could start in San Diego at one of their dispensaries and smoke each of their strongest strains. Then I'd work my way north stopping at recommended dispensaries along the way and smoking each of their strongest strains.

Well, if I manage to make it all the way to northern California, hopefully I'd have smoked the majority of the best strains in California, at least. Then, if I can remember where I smoked the one I liked the best (Or if I can remember my own name), I'd go back there and stay a week or two. If there were more than one that I liked the best, then I'd hopefully have the three strains I'd like to start growing. Of course, that would assume I'd be able to find and buy the seeds for them. And it would assume I'd remember the address I'd want them sent to. That would be convenient, so I'd know where I'd be returning to, so I'd know where to call home.

Well, that would also assume that I have the money to do all of that. Guess I'll just keep on truckin' in my dream.

Top Bottom