Crazy looking low stress training technique!!!???!!!

• Thread starter KUsocalSH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Too many tops with respect to its potential yield, my answer is yes, but that's a qualified yes. Yes IF no other form of canopy control, i.e. out-selection (is that a term?) of bud sites with poorest potential are strictly removed.

This is an old thread. Did I ever mention how reading on Medjool date farming helped me grasp the concepts behind pistil-whipping, lollipopping or what have you? Look it up, it's fascinating and for me really was quite helpful. Wait, let me link, instead...

Dateland is cool.
http://www.dateland.com/Tutorial.html
BTW really cool link in the 1st post of this old thread.

Is that Way over doing it? ^^
No. My first time doing it, though, I found my 3gal pots were of insufficient circumference to take the plant all the way around once only, which is what would have made the whole venture go easiest reflecting back upon it.

Dodge

Dodge

Ken, hey man, whats happening.... dude, my experience is limited. Having said that, I have grown with topping and without topping; with LST and without. I do feel that you can top a plant into oblivion, yes. My untopped, non LST'd plants I'm growing now have good side branching and good branching off the main cola itself, I think topping would have hurt growth in this case. Yeah I would have two heads not one but I would have destroyed a naturally bushy main cola. LST stands for low stress training, as you know. If you have space I now feel that instead of trying to get more buds from one plant by topping and topping, just plant more plant. I would rather just have eight untopped plants rather than four topped plants. This brings me back to my assertion that if one has no space or plant limitations one need not LST or top plants. Outdoor growing is different as overall plant life is much longer and the plants really do have time and energy to respond to topping. Four weeks in veg and sixty days in bloom is really not long enough to create that big ass bush that topping is intended to generate. This is my preference and nothing more. After growing really strong bushy vigorous untopped plants I have discovered that I prefer to just let the plant grow naturally and increase yield by increasing plant numbers.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great info Seamaiden and Dodge. Thanks.:)

Dodge; what you say makes sense. and its why I asked, because I have been wondering about just that.
I have one strain that will get 15 foot tall outside. If I let it. Gotta tie her down some.
and Im also trying it on some Sat. dom. bubba crosses that really respond well to it.
and Im going to try some Jillybean LST and Not lst-ed Jilly trees and compare.

But I hear ya..Im sure if the plant has fewer buds site to bloom those budssite would be bigger and juicer ..and Some strains Like Bubba don't need to be Trained so much.

thanks again.

I do love the way The Trained plants look.
5naturelisted

I Hope others chime in here too.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I lite dep. So my plan is to fill this bed with tops and cover it when they look ready.

The shorter the plants are...the easier it is for me to cover them every evening.

Jillybean clones
Jillybed4 29

Dodge

Dodge

I wanted to sort of re emphasize my belief, that in certain settings( micro grows, height limited grow, total plant limits, etc.) LST, topping, fimming, or any other form of training are the best way to increase yield. In these scenarios, using these techniques is a must. For me, I just enjoy letting the RNA in the beans do it's job from start to finish. On the other hand, there is no doubt that it is fun to LST a plant and discover that you can make it grow into whatever form fits your need. Seeing how the plant responds each time you stake that next segment down, or tie that next branch, is my favorite part of the process. Good Luck Caregiverken!!!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
one more...a before (20 days ago) and after. (now)

9Tieddown 1
TooTall9 4 30

The Good Folks here at the farm helped me with that one
:D

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
one more...

I lied..I have more...heck I am tieing down lots of stuff;)

Here is a Sour Tsunami mom that got stretched out inside,,,,..It would be 7ft tall by now, if I hadn't tied her down

STtree4 30

ttystikk

ttystikk

Great photo Dodge!

Really? I wanna know more. Can a Plant have Too Many Tops?

Yes, it sure can, and the results suck! What happens is that all the little tiny budding sites all compete with one another for light, space and nutes, and the result is that none of them get enough of anything- no surprise then that the result is crummy low quality larfy crap.

Sea Maiden is- as always- on point when she discusses the various methods as techniques to support the overall goals of having the right canopy shape for the environment, enough space between bud sites, lollipopping or getting rid of the buds down low that will never amount to anything, etc. Follow these principles and what you'll end up with are fewer, but larger colas dripping with high quality trichome production.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Roger that TyStick! I have learned alots reading Seamaidens posts the past 18 months.
I hear ya on the Pruning.
And even though I had read it. I learned the hardway bout pruning the lower stuff...Gonna prune that crap off this year.
The plan is, plants that are Only lollypopped tops..no lower growth...;)

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
BTW really cool link in the 1st post of this old thread.

Is that Way over doing it? ^^

this looks perfect for a mother. I was thinking about rooting my next mother by taking a long branch and pinning it on its side in a peat/perlite mix. We rooted cuts like this in plant propagation.. seems like once rooted you would have the exact same situation as in the picture, but without all the training. Plus you would still technically only have one plant.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
I liked using the metal s hooks u hang things from with like plants from the ceiling with any way thats the way i saw our boys at Cfsb do it and it works amazing i'll see if i can find the thread for you but its pretty simple you just use the s hook on the brnches when it starts to heal back up twards the light you just add washers until you get it the way you want it makes it much easier than tying down everything i think i have pics in my thread prodigy's big bushes i show what u use and how its done hope this helps stay up late

whatupdoc

whatupdoc

I've used this same method on my current DWC bucket experiment. Ended up with about 30 colas.

Great photo Dodge!

Really? I wanna know more. Can a Plant have Too Many Tops?

I don't believe that too many tops would ever be an issue, given that you've got support, air circulation, and enough light for the whole plant. That's just my opinion though...

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
does this little plant have too many tops?
9 days into flower
9LST5 9

30 days ago

9tieddown-1-jpg.213280

:D

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
hmm..no coment...am I posting to much?...lol :rolleyes:

I have lots more LST to show...Should I make my own LST thread? o_O

look close and See if you can find the Original top .
5trees5 10

Am I doing it right?

H

Hydrohelper

those plants in the last pic look awesome in the sun ken. Youre using those tomato cages right!!

Top Bottom