crazy new idea. add your input.

• Thread starter 707SebTownOGkrew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

ok so when bho is being made many people resort to heat of some kind to refine the butane out of there product. what some people may not know is that not only can heat separate the bondage between butane and thc but so can extreme cold. if you ever sprayed a large amount of bho without hot water underneath the pan you can sometimes see a large swiss cheese looking piece of oil floating around in ur puddle of butane. because of the intense cold the oil is not bonded with the butane at that moment. so my idea was what if on were to spray a batch of bho directly onto a large flat block of dry ice?? then let the dry ice evaporate.. i need some input on this. i know there is some very smart people on here and much experience so if any of you could help out that would be awesome. thanks.

Fasheeryfo

Fasheeryfo

I don't think it would work... and if it did, it would probably be a waaay longer process having to let the dry ice evaporate and everything... I've heard of people using dry ice in their tubes to keep the whole extraction process colder and get bigger yields... the liquid butane needs to evaporate somehow, without the heat I don't think it would..... I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it

disclaimer: I am in no way a BHO expert or chemist, this is just my personal opinion I could be totally off with all of my information. Peace and good luck!

squiggly

squiggly

This will eliminate many inclusion impurities (butane and target chemicals [cannabinoids] existing in a lattice structure together--as in solution)--however it will greatly increase the amount of occlusion impurities (trapped pockets of butane within the [solid when hard] cannabinoids).

Occlusion impurities tend to be more significant than inclusion impurities, in terms of molar quantities (but this will depend on the particular solvent/solute). This is especially true when comparing occlusion impurities vs. inclusion impurities when obtaining an oil via a thin-film evaporation (a special kind of "purge").

If the extract were pure THC or CBD, the occlusion impurities would be more predictable--because there would be an ordered, predictable, lattice structure for a butane and THC binary system. However, there are many compounds present, and there are many possible interactions and molecular states/configurations to consider. Due to the water solubility of butane--there are likely to be clathrate structures present as well--which can greatly increase expectation for occlusion impurity.

Alright so to answer a few questions this might bring up more succinctly:

1. Will this work?

Yes, it will--but there are some caveats. When you pour butane onto dry ice, it will bubble furiously , this will be a huge pain in the ass in terms of collecting your material. You will have to work with extremely small amounts of extract liquid and extremely large amounts of dry ice to have any hope of evaporating the butane before the CO2 fully sublimates. The sublimation point of CO2 is -78deg C (~ -110F). The boiling point of butane is -1C (~ 30F).

2. Will it be better quality in terms of butane content?

Probably not, but there is no definitive answer on this.

Instead of pouring the extract liquid directly onto dry ice, you can create a dry ice bath for a glass vessel (something which will withstand very cold temperatures) by mixing dry ice with any number of solvents with low freezing points (ethanol is common). This will achieve the same effect you are looking for but without direct contact between the CO2 and extract liquid itself.

When creating the bath, you will see why pouring nonpolar liquids containing compounds you wish to retain directly onto dry ice is a terrible idea.

It is important to note that condensation may become a significant issue when using this process--and also important to remember that butane does not have zero water solubility.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ummmm, my guess is that such a process would not be beneficial, and the reaction might not be placid. The oil is already dissolved in the butane before it exits the tube, so it wouldn't eliminate butane in the oil, although it might possibly reduce it by reducing the butane's ability to hold on to what it had already dissolved.

You would still need a purge.

Good question though and as it doesn't cost much to try it, I hope you will share the results if you do!

Please be sure to do it outdoors, and I would experiment in increasing scale, starting by just spraying a small amount of butane itself on a block of dry ice first. That way you can work up to trying it with a dripping tube you can't easily control.

You could also extract with butane, using a thermos, and drip some of that solution on the dry ice, in case you don't like the results.

Happy experimenting!

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

i grab this bho from a dispensary near me that is blasted WITH NO HEAT and vac purged for multiple days, comes out the best shit youve ever had.

moral of the story is fuck heat. just makes it easier

squiggly

squiggly

You could also extract with butane, using a thermos, and drip some of that solution on the dry ice, in case you don't like the results.

Happy experimenting!

I use the thermos method (with a 1L dewar instead)--and I think you'll have a real issue getting the butane (which is already very cold in the thermos) to boil off when adding it to something as cold as dry ice. The thermodynamic barrier there is going to be very large.

You'd end up in a race against time and enthalpy to get the amount of CO2 you needed correct. You'd DEFINITELY need to apply some heat (probably using a heat gun).

If this worked, again I think it'd only work in very small quantities--and it wouldn't be something which was predictable.

This is just the opposite of what we're trying to do when we evaporate something.

707SebTownOGkrew

707SebTownOGkrew

what would be the best way to avoid condensation issues when attempting a dry ice bath? i have the right equipment i wana make sure i do it right. im seriously about to give up bho im so unsatisfied with all the butane left over in most everybody's product. even stuff in the clubs has some tane left in it and i live in the emerald triangle where the clubs are like going to a five star restraunt. the best id had was this stuff calld "pure conneseurs" from sonoma county collective. of coarse it was refined with a 10,000 dollar peice of equipment.

squiggly

squiggly

what would be the best way to avoid condensation issues when attempting a dry ice bath? i have the right equipment i wana make sure i do it right. im seriously about to give up bho im so unsatisfied with all the butane left over in most everybody's product. even stuff in the clubs has some tane left in it and i live in the emerald triangle where the clubs are like going to a five star restraunt. the best id had was this stuff calld "pure conneseurs" from sonoma county collective. of coarse it was refined with a 10,000 dollar peice of equipment.

A humidity controlled room. That's about it.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

I would heat/ vac purge then try the dry ice to see if you can get the structure any more crystaline. but shatter is shatter imo. Take it easy man just my 2 cents

jj6543

jj6543

Hi there,
Long time lurker coming out just to tell you my opinion/experience because I too had extreme frustrations at first. I make my own wax for personal use (prices are insane!!) and to get it absolutely awesome, all you have to do is blow through fresh trim/bud/thc material. That's it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom