Creating Feminized Seeds

• Thread starter spl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

spl

There are a few way to create feminized seeds. Most people say to stress the plant with changing it light cycle until it self's, another way is chemical induction of self pollinating, and the last is the way I was taught years ago by a friend that was breeding strains back in the late 80's.

We will talk a little bit about the different ways to self pollinate and the pro's and con's of each.

Using Chemical's to make a plant self
This method is out of the book called cannabis breeder's bible. I have never used this method but I heard it works great. In the book they say to wear a makes when mixing the chemical's together.

Get 2 bottles of distilled filled to 500 ml each.
0.5. Grams of Silver Nitrate.
2.5 Grams of Anhydros Sodium Thiosulfate (no water)

Now mix the Silver Nitrate into one of the bottles of distilled water until completely dissolved.
Now mix the Anhydros Sodium Thiosulfate into the other bottle of distilled water until it is completely dissolved.

Now get a bottle big enough to hold both of the 500 ml's of water and mix both of them together into the one bottle. This is now your solution of selfing stock. Now to use this you must mix 1 part selfing stock to 9 parts water.

Take the selfing mix and spray the entire female plant until the solution appears to be dripping from the plant. When spraying do this away from direct light, because water droplets may burn the plant.

When the plant is dry put her back into 12/12 and wait. The plant will start to produce male pollen sacks and you can take the pollen that falls and use it on other females. The pollen will mostly be feminized do to the fact the chromosomes are from a female plant.

To store the extra selfing mix in a fridge.

The way I learned to make a plant self.
Take a clone cutting and let it veg a few weeks until it is a solid plant, then put it into flower for 2 to 3 weeks until there is a nice calyxes worth of growth.

I then take the hairs that are coming out of the calyxes and roll it in between my thumb and index fingers until it pulls all the hairs away from the calyxes.

This will trick the plant into producing balls to self pollinate for survival, this happens with a quickness so you need to be on top of it unless you have a place that you can 12/12 to do this by it self, if not then take this plant out of the main bloom room and keep it in a new area with 12/12 light.

Now collect the pollen and save it for your pollination of the lower branches of the plant in bloom. I use a small paint brush for this task. To make sure your seeds are mature when time to harvest just cut the upper colas and wait 2 weeks for the bottom part that you impregnated.
I have been around 95% with this in creating feminized seeds.
Now you know how to make your own feminized seeds and how to start creating some F2 seeds and crossing some unique breeds.

Light Stressing
The whole idea of light stressing a plant to hermie is not an Idea that I like, I believe that the trait will follow that plant and it's seeds for ever. I may be wrong, but it is something I try to avoid when possible.
Growing is tough enough with out the added stress random herming traits.

Spl1

Melvan

Melvan

These methods do not create female seeds, they create hermies. If something "self-pollinates" then it's hermaphrodite, that's basic biology.

You get lucky and have phenos where the hermie gene doesn't assert itself, but it does not give you "female" seeds. The confusion comes because people mistake the term "feminized" to mean female. A drag queen isn't female, they're feminized.

All this "femming" of seeds is doing nothing but promote an undesirable trait in mj. In the future we're all going to be wishing for the days of seed free weed because all mj is going to become self-pollinating because everyone is too lazy and impatient to pull a few males out of their grow.

Femmed seeds is a backward step in the advancement of our hobby. The hermie trait should not be promoted through this type of propagation.

Melvan

Melvan

I predict that within 10 years, maybe less, the premium prices will be paid for landrace seeds and people will have to start all over, with the best money being paid for seeds with no possible hermie crossing in its parentage, which basically will take the hobby back to square one.

This trait is the direct result of breeders who are only interested in the business of marijuana, and the more regions that step on the legal mmj bandwagon the bigger the business will get and the bigger the problem will get. It's a trade-off we're going to have deal with so we can have our meds, and I acknowledge that.

I just wish people wouldn't grow and share the seeds from their hermied plants, all that's doing is speeding up the process.

I have decided that I'm going to start doing continuous micro grow seed runs to preserve the strains I currently grow and to have landrace seeds available for breeding.

Latest posts

Top Bottom