Creating native soil into quality organic soil

• Thread starter Dextromaniac
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dextromaniac

So I can not buy my soil my car broke down and I can't find a ride to get some. I have native soil thats in the woods behind my house thats really already decent soil year after year there is always thick green vegetation and shit growing back there but it has not grown because i weeded it last year so the soil is pretty much just soil nothing growing there its pretty decent stuff.

What should I be adding to the soil, I am thinking of ammending it with Perlite, Bat guano, Worm castings, peat moss, and neem cake. Will any of these things cause a concerning PH level of the soil? I am going to be buying 100% organic stuff and I have $120 dollars to blow on it.

I know for a fact I can buy wormcastings and organic peat moss and perlite at walmart, I know a source for the neem cake, but how much is bat quano, and is it told online? I dont even know where to start to find bat quano =D

Keep in mind there are no nursuries and farms or anything in my town so I have walmart, lowes, home depot and sears to go to, and I am pretty sure I can buy all this online I just dont wanna buy crappy quality bat guano and mess anything up

nebulius

nebulius

Bat Guano is the shit!:D
I can't be a whole lotta help with the bat guano, but Fox Farm's Big Bloom is organic and made of earth worm castings, bat guano, kelp, and has microbes that are good for the soil. Not sure if that is what you're looking for but might save a little $$ initially instead of having to buy the EWC and guano separately. But, if you have several plants buying both in dry form would be cheaper over the long term. good luck

D

Dextromaniac

Yeah I'm going to have like 6-8 plants so I'll just whip up a big old batch and make 20 cubic feet of good soil at once, I'll have to do the math and figure out how much bat quano and neem cake and such to buy.

H

Hydrohelper

if you're concerned about ph swings from soil amendments and rain water, etc. you should also add some dolomite lime. This will keep the ph from going above 7 and from drifting too low. It also adds a bit of calcium

D

Dextromaniac

ill be gettin some of that. i mixed my soil its decent enough when i water it puddles up and slowly seaps down but it drains,maybe i need more perlite.

I killed my 5 bagseeds i was germinating, got stoned the day i was going to plant them, woke up next morning to find all of them had already busted out of their shell in the paper towel, i think 2 of them might still sprout so i planted them, along with 3 afghani seeds and i get to plant 2 more of those today. Its been rainy as fuck the last 2 days but i got a shelter put up over my plants, and 1 or 2 shoult be sprouted today yesterday i saw it pokin thru the soil a little bit :)

K

kolah

Why not check the pH level of the soil in a few different places FIRST before doing anything?

sky high

sky high

The Epsoma fert they sell at Home Depot (in a white bag) is a fair choice if you have no other options.... it even has some microbes in it.

A lot of soil is very clay-heavy. I would focus on the perlite and mix it in well a few feet deep to ensure good drainage and that the plant can easily shoot out good roots.

best of luck

s h

Mogrow

Mogrow

Dextro/// man i did what you are planning almost to a T. got 10 gallons of rich river soil, 5 gallons of good compost, about 1 cf of spaghum peat moss, about 1 cf of perlite, added handfuls of dolomite lime, gypsum, blood and bone meal, diamataous earth, and kelp. would have used EWC if i had any.
Stuff looks and smells good, bet my plants blow smooth up in it. i'm a big believer in local soil, screw that gnat infested shit you buy at the hydro stores..

Blaze

Blaze

If you are concerned about the pH you might consider testing the soil. Call your local county ag department - often they can test your soil for cheap, sometimes even free. This would help you dial in you soil mix.

D

Dextromaniac

I'm not too too worried about the PH level, I'll check it but im sure its fine what I put in it does not really have a high Nitrogen value, the only real thing that had anything NPK was the peat moss which was 0.5% nitrogen. I sprinked just a tad of neem cake in the middle of my red cups to release nitrogen to my seedlings and, just a tad bit on the top to water it down and quite amazingly I have 4 out of the 6 plants sprouted already about a day and a half later, like from the couple plants I germinated and planted in normal soil these plants seem to be 2-3 days ahead of their time. I have 8 more seeds germinating in a cup full of distilled chlorine free water, most of those are probably ready to plant today (but somebody stole my red cups!)

And yeah screw that shit at the store. I just spent a few hours every day digging up soil from my back yard, throwing it through a window screen its real fine soil, so airy I can see a root system easillyyyyyyyyyy poking down thru this soil. It holds water great, like it will puddle up and drain down a little slower than I'd like but when it does drain out the soil is perfectly evenly moist and compact yet its still airy and light, It probably only puddles up because its in these red cups with a small surface area to deal with so when I have bigger holes it wont puddle up as much.

I have a 3 week old afghani plant growin up there it looks awesome! So far so good. I left a little bucket of soil at my grow about 15 feet away under a tree, something ripped off the lid and threw it everywhere which worried me that either a human, or an animal ripped that open, and than took or destroyed my plants\, that did not happen, my grow was UN-disturbed but that sorta concerns me and i really need to put up a fence maybe out of more window screen thats about 2 and a half feet high all around my grow. I got another question about plant stress.

When I had my 3 week old afghani outside at 1 week something either bit the leaf, or the wind ripped it maybe, but will this cause any stress that will produce a male plant? Its just one leaf out of the many many leafs it will grow but I dont know much about plant stress. I think it may have ripped because I pulled off the shell of the seed from that leaf about a week after it sprouted and it felt like it was still really stuck on there but I dont know.

Latest posts

Top Bottom