critique my soil recipe??

• Thread starter HumboldtDr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
hello farm. i'm new here and wanted to throw up my soil recipe and see if you guys here had any suggestion/tips on additons or subtractions. please dont hold back. this was passed down to me from an old outdoor grower in the area and i've pretty much stuck w/ it, except i started adding more perlite. its worked pretty well so far, but know there is always room for improvement. i use a few liquid nutes, but would like my soil to take me a bit further. i can go bout 3-4 weeks before supplementation is needed

2bags FFOF/ 1bags of Royal Gold regular CoCo is the 'base mix'.

1c=16oz dixie cup

1c mocha
1c fos seabird
1c archilapago
1c rainbow mix bloom
1c rainbow mix grow
1c crushed oyster shell
5c EWC
10c perlite
also add mycos into planting hole when transplanting and usually do not 'cook' the mix before. and this mix is the mix they go into a bit before flowering. thanks in advance for any suggestions.

***let me add that i grow indoors in 4x8 'soma style' beds

M

mrbong73

I'd put 40lbs of worm castings as part of the base. You would need to add more perlite if you did though.
Compost and ewc are the main drivers of an organic soil. Getting some quality humus in the mix should be top priority. IMO

You'll rock it in those beds though! Good luck.

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
thanks MrB. i was a tad hesitant to add alot more EWC cuz of the fear that the FFOF already had quite a bit EWC already. but will def experiment w/ adding more.

the humus is a great idea. i forgot to add that i have begun to use some malibu compost in the mix. prolly shud be more aggressive w/ it though.

thanks MrB. will def try to add more EWC to my mix and see how they do.

M

mrbong73

Yeah I wouldn't count on the quality of the fox farm soil. Adding more ewc,malibu and perlite will get your base in a really good place.
Read up on ACT and other nutrient teas and you can get that soil humming.
The malibu makes killer compost tea, so does ewc. I'd mix the two and make teas with that.
If you're not adding a ton of chem ferts to your beds you should be able to reuse the soil forever. Just keep adding compost,ewc and organic ferts as a top dress.
Easy.

HumboldtDr

HumboldtDr

Whats your ailment?
Supporter
MrB, i know this is a conversation for another thread or for me to search for. but, if you wouldnt rely on fox farm is there a commercially available soil that you would trust? thanks again

M

mrbong73

MrB, i know this is a conversation for another thread or for me to search for. but, if you wouldnt rely on fox farm is there a commercially available soil that you would trust? thanks again

Hey bro it's your thread, talk about whatever you want, right?
I look at most of the bagged products as a starting point. They are all pretty much similar. Either peat or coco based, or both with some composted forest bark, usually a liming agent and some organic ferts.
You can easily make your own mix with some searching around at local nurserys and farm supply stores.

This link has some good info on organic potting mixes.
https://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/viewhtml.php?id=47

A

Alien Abductee

totally awesome i think. If i had the money its close to what I would run. nice and light.

Top Bottom