Crock Pot Double Boiler - Long Slow Cook

• Thread starter Amalthea
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amalthea

Amalthea

This is an experiment. In a tiny ceramic pot, I mixed a couple of grams of a sativa strain in some butter, no water added. Then placed inside a electric crockpot which is filled with water.

I'm thinking of leaving this for 24 hours or longer, on a low heat. Your thoughts ?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
So you mixed butter weed and water and thats all in the crock pot mixed together on low heat for 24 hours?

I would have used alot more weed but yeah you got the right idea :D

Amalthea

Amalthea

Nope :) Only butter and weed, no water. But the pot is then placed in another pot which contains only water. Essentially a double boiler.

Yeah I would have used more weed but I'm running out :( and can't grow any for some time. So looking at the best extraction method.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Nope :) Only butter and weed, no water. But the pot is then placed in another pot which contains only water. Essentially a double boiler.

Yeah I would have used more weed but I'm running out :( and can't grow any for some time. So looking at the best extraction method.

Should have added the water... your butters gonna be really green and taste like shit. The water acts as a buffer to prevent that from happening, once cooled the water and butter separate.

You can fix this by adding water now, then re-washing the butter in warm water till it looses most of its green color.

Amalthea

Amalthea

I was worried that adding butter would mean the weed would not come into contact with the butter and instead remain steeped in water. However, I've just added some water.

Do longer cooking times mean stronger canna butter ?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I was worried that adding butter would mean the weed would not come into contact with the butter and instead remain steeped in water. However, I've just added some water.

Do longer cooking times mean stronger canna butter ?

The butter will absorb the goodies and the water will pick up the yukkies how long that takes is up for debate, It won't hurt anything as long as your temps are low enough to go 24 hours but its not really needed.. I Think most peoples butter is done in 3-4 hours time. But again varys from person to person, Tho the longer it cooks the more sedating its going to be so don't be surprised to find your sativa butter putting you down for the count ;)

Amalthea

Amalthea

Sedating is good. Very good. I have chronic anxiety, and MS like symptoms. So the stronger the better.

derkaderk

derkaderk

On my last batch of butter I didn't measure anything....I'm also a chef, so I understand ratios while cooking and baking.

Here is my method:
Fill stainless steel cooking vessel with trim up to 1/3 the volume of the vessel you've chosen.

Next, determine how much butter you wish to infuse...

Add water at a ratio of 4:1(4cups water:1cup butter)

Turn on medium heat until boiling, reduce heat and simmer. Stir occasionally.
Let this mixture reduce for about 2hours.

After 2 hours add water up to the original water line in the cooking vessel and reduce for an additional 2 hours.
Note: be careful not to reduce all of the water out, as this will burn the oils and fats resulting in an acrid, bitter taste.

At this point I turn off the heat, add just a bit of fresh water, and Let cool till a few minutes.

Now I strain through a fine mesh sieve into a clean glass container. I use my fingers to extract all the oils out of the left over plant material in the bottom of the sieve. You may repeat this step as many times as you wish. This will continue to help filter out all the junk.
Now the mixture is ready for the refrigerator, let chill for 24 HOURS!!!! This is very important if you plan on baking with it.

The next day the butter will be solidified at the top floating atop the waste water. Carefully remove the butter block, discard the waste water.

Flip the butter block over to the "wet" side, and carefully remove the bottom layer (generally still contains very small plant particles that were allowed to pass thru the sieve but too light to sink past the butter layer)
Your butter is now ready for storage, cooking or baking!
Note:for long term storage I recommend the freezer.

juniper

juniper

My friend recently did a recipe very similar to the above crockpot-butter-water recipe above using ABV (already-been-vaped) material from his Volcano vaporizer. Because of the water, the taste was minimally "weedy". To me, that meant the potency was going to be low, but the product was still strong enough to catch me off guard. 1 cookie had me stoned about 3 hours.
There was about an ounce of ABV per lb.of butter. The high was very body oriented, almost zero "head".

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
A coffee grinder. Will make it so u don't even need to strain just cooks down. There also awesome as a grinder. M

Amalthea

Amalthea

A coffee grinder. Will make it so u don't even need to strain just cooks down. There also awesome as a grinder. M

You mean it just dissolves ? That would be pretty good

Okay, so I've been slow simmering for about 24 hours now, water to butter ratio has varied from 4:1 to 1:1, or less as waters evaporated. It's mostly been on a very low heat, below boiling, with a couple of hours at boiling.

It should be interesting to see how strong it is.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
You mean it just dissolves ? That would be pretty good

Okay, so I've been slow simmering for about 24 hours now, water to butter ratio has varied from 4:1 to 1:1, or less as waters evaporated. It's mostly been on a very low heat, below boiling, with a couple of hours at boiling.

It should be interesting to see how strong it is.

Yep just dissolves

Top Bottom