Crop steering/auto feeding question

• Thread starter ThatRapperWeed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Hey all,

I'm testing out FloraFlex's auto feeding schedule. They recommend after transplant (where the coco is fully fed) to let it dryback for 3-7 days. They advise waiting for 20% dryback before starting feeding. I thought I thoroughly saturated the coco but after measuring with my bluelab pulse, it says I've got 35% saturation. I've already transplanted, what's the best route from here? Should I just let it dry back 20% from the 35? Appreciate any input. I'm in 2 gallon pots with 100% coco.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So at what depth are you measuring?

Those meters measure water content so the % is a bit different than you may be thinking. Take a pot of coco and saturate it. Wait for runoff to stop and then test the coco it should be around 60-65% that will be fully saturated.

At 35% water content your about 60% saturation.

But you have to understand that most of that will be in the saturation zone (water table) at 20% dryback you want to be watering at 40%WC and about 70% saturation and your already 10% below that so I would definitely be hitting them up with a nutrient solution and saturating them with some runoff.

Imo the dry back isn't really needed as the roots are shallow and that will be the driest area.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Hey, thanks for your reply! I think I get what you're saying. The floraflex coco says fully saturated is 60%, so does that mean I'm almost half full saturation if my reader is saying 35%? Or are you saying I'm pretty much fully saturated because at 35% water content I'm at 60% saturation? (Sorry that's where I'm still a bit confused)

I agree the dryback isn't needed, just trying to experiment a bit as they claim they've had great results with it, I just wanted to try it out. I saturated the coco with nutrient solution before transplant until I got a fair amount of runoff. Then I gave a light feeding after transplant. I'm including a pic, not sure if it's needed but why not.
Screenshot 20211001 134806 Pulse

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey, thanks for your reply! I think I get what you're saying. The floraflex coco says fully saturated is 60%, so does that mean I'm almost half full saturation if my reader is saying 35%? Or are you saying I'm pretty much fully saturated because at 35% water content I'm at 60% saturation? (Sorry that's where I'm still a bit confused)

I agree the dryback isn't needed, just trying to experiment a bit as they claim they've had great results with it, I just wanted to try it out. I saturated the coco with nutrient solution before transplant until I got a fair amount of runoff. Then I gave a light feeding after transplant. I'm including a pic, not sure if it's needed but why not.
View attachment 1174837
So WC (water content %) is the % of water content of the media. So coco holds a maximum of 60% by volume (that's how your meter is reading it).

So when your meter reads 60% the coco is fully saturated and will not hold anymore water.

This is where some get confused.... so basically at 60%vWC your coco is 100% saturated.

At 35%vWC you are 35÷60=58% saturated.

That make sense?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

So WC (water content %) is the % of water content of the media. So coco holds a maximum of 60% by volume (that's how your meter is reading it).

So when your meter reads 60% the coco is fully saturated and will not hold anymore water.

This is where some get confused.... so basically at 60%vWC your coco is 100% saturated.

At 35%vWC you are 35÷60=58% saturated.

That make sense?
100% my man, thank you so much for clearing that up!

One more question, so when they're talking about a 20% dryback are they saying from 60% to 40 %? if the coco had been fully saturated?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

100% my man, thank you so much for clearing that up!

One more question, so when they're talking about a 20% dryback are they saying from 60% to 40 %? if the coco had been fully saturated?
Correct that is what I would assume since that is what thier meters is reading.

Have you calibrated it yet?

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Correct that is what I would assume since that is what thier meters is reading.

Have you calibrated it yet?
I have but now I'm thinking I should recalibrate once they're actually fully saturated since since what the instructions suggested.

Top Bottom