Cropsteering In-depth daily journal using TrolMaster

• Thread starter jb420710
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
man those are looking fantastic now! excellent work!

Reactions: PK1
Observationist

Observationist

AlgaCubes srsly

nice looks pretty cool

ima need to do a RW grow at some point.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
htat almost looks like temperature purpling. possibly P. what are all the details as of now? temp, rh, leaf surface temp, input EC and pH, runoff if you have it, full nutrient lineup. the whole story even if you're not sure a detail matters, add it. give us the full debrief. @Dirtbag you seen this before?

jb420710

jb420710

Well they were in perfect health it was looking like right before I left for vacation on Christmas... I was gone the 25 in the morning until the 28th at night. The person that was watching them let them get really really dry.. haven’t been the same since. the younger seedlings that were in 4 x 4 cubes pretty much died lol I brought them back and took 6 clones of each that made it back.. I was running 3.0 ec Athena pro line until Christmas looking great..but weren’t coming all the way back so I’ve been heavily flushing with 2.0 ec making sure I get a lot of run off

• Sad
Reactions: PK1
jb420710

jb420710

Here’s what they look like right now what should I do

7151AF1C 1B56 4EA0 B9E9 5B2A42FD5FD4
29261645 B02F 4162 8340 766F6BCFE007
CE1D42FD 1A1A 46AC A0DD 8EE48E833400
9050302F 3046 4896 99A3 E08C2C9183F4
C955552E 1034 424D 924D 499D8FB3C8D9
C5430855 82DD 443D 9085 29CC4C6D6D52
32C8A155 AC0B 4C4A 8883 98BCBAD0F0FF
78EEA20E 9004 4B4F 9682 F53999DAC40E
00FDE7A6 F8E3 4679 A40B 7D704F462297
tobh

tobh

Supporter
man..... those roots are cooked. the plants are focused right now on rebuilding some kind of uptake system. if you were running 3.0 EC, and they dried out, the roots lost pretty much all their ability to uptake anything. simple as that. they're damaged. dial the lights back a lot, and drop your EC even lower.

None of us that run rockwool exceed max 1.8 EC regardless of what our nutrient manufacturers say. Front Row AG told me the same thing. "in that much media you can bump up EC quite a bit." fuckin clowns.

you're in savior mode right now. 1.4-1.6 EC, lights at 40% ish, keep VPD in check, and they'll bounce back in a week. right now you DO NOT want to be trying to push them. they need to find their feet (roots) again and get back to uptaking water at minimum. The high EC spike cooked all the root hairs so they're droopy because right now they can't uptake anything including water.

I dare say it might be worth restarting even. This run's yield is gonna be disappointing given the stress these have gone through. might be best to reset and start new. I understand the cost to start new but you're gonna spend just as much running this one and not breaking even whereas you could eat a lost run and come out in the black by culling and going forward.

@PK1 you have any input? @Dirtbag what about you?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I like your approach! I’m a longtime Rockwool grower, totally new to crop steering but I just started using an Aqua-x this cycle

You should have a lot more growth by now, let’s figure out what’s slowing things down a bit.

Why are you defoliating so heavily?
How do the roots look at the bottom of the cubes?
I have a feeling you may be overwatering a bit and not letting the roots establish throughout the cube.

@Dirtbag if you don’t mind me asking, what do you think?

View attachment 1195948
Don't know how I missed this tag, sorry dude. I agree, the heavy defoliating early on isn't beneficial and those cubes tend to get overwatered easily and lead to rootzone issues.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah I would drop that nutrient and run something else in the 500-650ppm range. Or just use that nutrient in a lower dose.
Also bumping temps and a couple other things could help. Do you use tap water? RO? How many times per day do you feed? How much per feeding?

harmonics

harmonics

Harmonics
Supporter
@jb420710 Sorry for your troubles, listen to Dirtbag he’s very knowledgeable when it comes to Rockwool and could help you get these girls back on track.

I agree that you should increase your air temperature to allow the plants to transpire correctly. You want the plants leaf temperatures to be 78+ degrees, ideally closer to 82 degrees since you are running Co2. The one issue I have with my Trolmaster is the master controller dims the lights if the air temperature raises above 85 degrees. Too reach proper air temperatures without issues I have to cheat the system by having a small fan blowing near my temperature sensor when I’m really trying too maximize the room without having dimming problems.

Don’t worry about VPD until the room is properly situated, the biggest problem I had with the LED learning curve was focusing too much on that #
(My personal problem was I thought I had my VPD at “ideal” numbers so I thought my room was functioning properly, but my room was too cold for the plants to transpire and drink properly.) Turning the air temperature up to 82+ degrees solved all those problems; but I run Co2 as well

Last edited:
jb420710

jb420710

Yeah I would drop that nutrient and run something else in the 500-650ppm range. Or just use that nutrient in a lower dose.
Also bumping temps and a couple other things could help. Do you use tap water? RO? How many times per day do you feed? How much per feeding?
Well what I’ve been doing lately since they almost died has been completely saturating them with 1.8 - 2.0 ec and getting run off and letting them dry out before I water again. And I usually use RO but sometimes I use the waste hose from RO system to fill up res if I can’t wait for it to fill up. I’m filling up5 gallon buckets right now with RO because I haven’t got a resivior yet and sometimes I need some water ASAP and I can’t wait for it to fill up so that’s why i use the waste water sometimes

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well what I’ve been doing lately since they almost died has been completely saturating them with 1.8 - 2.0 ec and getting run off and letting them dry out before I water again. And I usually use RO but sometimes I use the waste hose from RO system to fill up res if I can’t wait for it to fill up. I’m filling up5 gallon buckets right now with RO because I haven’t got a resivior yet and sometimes I need some water ASAP and I can’t wait for it to fill up so that’s why i use the waste water sometimes
That isn't good, when they dry up a lot the ec spikes in the media.
You want to keep the rockwool 80-90% saturated at all times during veg, 60-90% roughly in flower, with at least half of your daily feedings having some runoff.
A 6" cube should be fed small shots of nutrient solution anywhere from 8-12 times per day to keep it always wet. You absolutely do not want to let it dry out between feeds, especially not at a higher ec feed rate. Young plants on gas, 1.5-1.8ec is great, but you need to feed a lot more often to prevent the nutrients spiking in the wool.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Also, you should start with water you know is good. RO needs calcium and alkalinity added back to it, it's not great on its own. Should be about 150ppm ideally +/- 50ppm, before adding nutrients

Top Bottom