Crossbreeding. How does it work

• Thread starter Oldmanbud50
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

So iam doing my second grow and have 3 little seedling.. My question would be if I did choc mint og. And it had a few seeds about 10 off 3 plants. And I had a blue cookies. Which I found 5 seeds. Off whole plant. Have I cross bred. And would the seed be a mix of both strains. Surely its not that easy.. Ty. And happy growing

growsince79

growsince79

So iam doing my second grow and have 3 little seedling.. My question would be if I did choc mint og. And it had a few seeds about 10 off 3 plants. And I had a blue cookies. Which I found 5 seeds. Off whole plant. Have I cross bred. And would the seed be a mix of both strains. Surely its not that easy.. Ty. And happy growing
Which one made pollen. I would throw the seeds to the chooks, unless you like hermies

Madmax

Madmax

There is a possability...did you have male pollen sacs or nanners..ive had heaps of plants with the odd nanner and never crossed with the plants around it..

RR1

RR1

There is a possability...did you have male pollen sacs or nanners..ive had heaps of plants with the odd nanner and never crossed with the plants around it..
No offense, but why would you breed plants that obviously tend to hermie? It's like birddogs, leave breeding to the experts. Experts spend tons of money to come up with viable strains. Not to mention knowledge of genetics. Unless of course you have different rooms, and lot's of money to waste.
RR1

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Wow chill m8. All I asked was if both had a few seeds. Would they have cross bred. Pollen if any as iv heard that it can be genetics. As well. Sorry if I stepped on ya toes r11.. It was just a question no offence.

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Oh n ain't no expert. But duely noted. Pal. 2nd grow still makes me a newbie in my eyes.

RR1

RR1

Wow chill m8. All I asked was if both had a few seeds. Would they have cross bred. Pollen if any as iv heard that it can be genetics. As well. Sorry if I stepped on ya toes r11.. It was just a question no offence.
None taken, to me it was a very matter of fact answer. I am a chemist by trade and I don't dance around questions at all. I tend to be blunt, but I keep forgetting how sensitive everyone is these days. I've probably lived too long. ;)
RR1

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

Which one made pollen. I would throw the seeds to the chooks, unless you like hermies
That's it there was no nannas. No male flowers I checked daily only a few seeds tbh. It was nothing to worry me anyway. But was confused to how bud was outstanding though..

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

None taken, to me it was a very matter of fact answer. I am a chemist by trade and I don't dance around questions at all. I tend to be blunt, but I keep forgetting how sensitive everyone is these days. I've probably lived too long. ;)
RR1
Like I said m8 didn't get offended. Just seemed like u shud of wrote with ya caps on lol.. Had no nannas no male flowers checked daily. Mystery to how 8 got a few seeds

RR1

RR1

Like I said m8 didn't get offended. Just seemed like u shud of wrote with ya caps on lol.. Had no nannas no male flowers checked daily. Mystery to how 8 got a few seeds
Lot of strains will do that, even with small amounts of stress. Quite a few strains descend from hermie plants. I'm growing GG #4 right now, and I am damn careful with it. It comes from hermie lines, and it tends to do that sometimes. But so worth it. Great taste, tons of trics, and a knockout stone. Have to be careful with my casual smoker friends. In a vaporizer some of this stuff leaves me with houseguests for the night.
That being said, my buddy once ended up with 2 dozen seeds from a Champagne plant. He only had one plant, so we know it hermied. Just for kicks I planted them all and ended up with 20 girls that were all really nice. Different from the mother, but all exactly the same. You never know.
If you got the room plant them, but be careful.
RR1

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

fucking plant them! lol. People dismiss bag / herm seed and for good reason, you are far more likely to have a herm seed, but it's not a given. There may have been an environmental stress that has since resolved itself. Cookies is notorious for herms, which means most of the current "hot" genetics will carry that trait. It's a shit show as far as gene diversity goes, the lines are getting completely inbred and the recessive traits are becoming more common. But Sour Diesel came from a bag seed in Chemdog and chemdog has a tendency to throw a banner or two. So make of that what you will.

Madmax

Madmax

No offense, but why would you breed plants that obviously tend to hermie? It's like birddogs, leave breeding to the experts. Experts spend tons of money to come up with viable strains. Not to mention knowledge of genetics. Unless of course you have different rooms, and lot's of money to waste.
RR1
Whose breeding herms? You talkin to me

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

When you harvest all female plants and get just a handful of seeds at the end with no males in the mix chances are those seeds are S1. Its possible that the seeds came from hermie but if you are watching your crop carefully and see no banners then its probably S1. This means that the mother plant (In a last ditch attempt to pass on their genetics) will create a "clone seed" or a feminized seed that is a close copy to the mother. The S1 seeds are expensive thats what the breeders sell as Feminized seeds. Notice I said close copy, they are not always exactly the same as the mother but usually dam close. This is the reason why PR1 mentioned that Champagne grow with all the female seeds that actually ended up being really good. That is very common I save all my seeds especially if I think they are S1 feminized. I always pop my bagseeds fellas and Im gonna be honest RARELY do I have hermie issues. I have done some home breeding with autos before and I did have some hermie issues with a few crosses (primarily the sativa leaning autos) so I tossed those specific seed runs. All the other auto crosses during that same breeding project came out great. What I am saying is don't automatically assume that bagseeds are bad and they will Herm. Thats not true bagseeds are absolutely 100% worth giving a try. Newer high THC designer strains are more susceptible to it you just have to know what you have and give it a try.

linde

linde

throw them in a bag and save them for outdoor gorilla gardens. no sexing required. plants should be fairly uniform. the best plants ive ever grown outdoors had hermie tendencies.

Oldmanbud50

Oldmanbud50

When you harvest all female plants and get just a handful of seeds at the end with no males in the mix chances are those seeds are S1. Its possible that the seeds came from hermie but if you are watching your crop carefully and see no banners then its probably S1. This means that the mother plant (In a last ditch attempt to pass on their genetics) will create a "clone seed" or a feminized seed that is a close copy to the mother. The S1 seeds are expensive thats what the breeders sell as Feminized seeds. Notice I said close copy, they are not always exactly the same as the mother but usually dam close. This is the reason why PR1 mentioned that Champagne grow with all the female seeds that actually ended up being really good. That is very common I save all my seeds especially if I think they are S1 feminized. I always pop my bagseeds fellas and Im gonna be honest RARELY do I have hermie issues. I have done some home breeding with autos before and I did have some hermie issues with a few crosses (primarily the sativa leaning autos) so I tossed those specific seed runs. All the other auto crosses during that same breeding project came out great. What I am saying is don't automatically assume that bagseeds are bad and they will Herm. Thats not true bagseeds are absolutely 100% worth giving a try. Newer high THC designer strains are more susceptible to it you just have to know what you have and give it a try.
Yes all female no nannas no pollen flowers. But 3 nuggs had a few seeds.. On the og. And got 5 off a blue cookies.. Iv decided to re plant them and 5 are now in my room. And just sprouted a mac#1which will going in tomoz hopefully. Ty for all the reply always want to learn in this game

Madmax

Madmax

throw them in a bag and save them for outdoor gorilla gardens. no sexing required. plants should be fairly uniform. the best plants ive ever grown outdoors had hermie tendencies.
My best ones have had that aswell bro.like only 6 seeds or so off a 2p + plant every yr.and ive used those same seeds for like a decade outdoors

Dino70

Dino70

It's like breeding dogs as long as you can look at the parents to see what genes your looking for then thats what you aim for and you can back breed with as little as 10 plant count u use 1/64 if a gram of pollen to make 3000seeds so you can find phenotypes within as little as 2 plants but if there male/female then your gene pool is quite a bit bigger that if the 2 plants where females I've been breeding for awhile and I don't use a big plant count and still can achieve good genetics as long as you do in to have we cross contamination and you keep things clean

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

It's like breeding dogs as long as you can look at the parents to see what genes your looking for then thats what you aim for and you can back breed with as little as 10 plant count u use 1/64 if a gram of pollen to make 3000seeds so you can find phenotypes within as little as 2 plants but if there male/female then your gene pool is quite a bit bigger that if the 2 plants where females I've been breeding for awhile and I don't use a big plant count and still can achieve good genetics as long as you do in to have we cross contamination and you keep things clean
I think having lots of smoking experience can help when it comes to selecting phenos when using smaller plant counts. Over the years, you are able to try all sorts of weed, good and bad but now with legal markets, you get some of the elite stuff and professionally grown Cannabis too. Your palette can pair strains, like"oh this tastes like an OG or this tastes like a Jack" etc. You're also..... well, you should be familiar with the strains you are crossing. So there too, you know what the palette is. So when you are running through seeds on a small plant count basis, when something different and special pops up, using all of that previous experience should allow you to recognize that special pheno, even if it it only one of three.

Top Bottom