Cubing for Preservation...

• Thread starter Skunkenstein
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Skunkenstein

My grow partner and I are delving into uncharted territory.We have just recently selectively pollinated several stains that we have been running for several years as clone only.We originally had seeds of all strains, but there was never the time or the space for breeding.I aquired dj shorts Grape Krush at first release and finally cracked them for breeding purposes.Out of my pack I was ''blessed'' with a high male population..8/10 were males..haha !!The two females were cloned and the seed plants are finally being flowerd.An exceptional male gk was selected and he pollinated 4 clones of various strains..ie. LUI,SWT#3,A-DAM unknown,white widow hybrid..and of course grape krush.Our main goal is to cube back to the reocuring mother plants in the case of lui and the swt#3 to have a seedline with traits mainly of the mother plant.The other plants are really just a hodge poge of who knows what...so, not so important.So far the lui/gk seeds are just out of this world healthy and huge looking.The seeds are some of the largest I have ever seen..anywhere! I'M very excited about cracking these beauties.Any thoughts on how to pick the the best candidates for backcrossing out of the f-1's and beyond would be appreciated..After reading Chimeras thoughts on the subject my brain is left quivering.Personal opinions from real people is more important than all that book learning..haha !!

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I too looked at cubing but after digesting Chimera's post several times it seems a direction to avoid. That said, it's still crazy to think that Bros Grimm had such long standing success preserving the C99 that way.

I guess I'm still on the fence. LUI x GK sounds like a nice cross and Sweet Tooth is one of my all timers!

S

Skunkenstein

you took the words right out of my mouth.I've read the story on Cindy so many times, they make it seem like childs play.I've also read all the stickies on breeding and most published articles.But here I'am, with fantastic f-1's in hand and ready to move onward and upward.Who knows maybe we'll find a rock-star within the first couple tries.The lui and swt#3 are our main-stays in the stable.They are very,very similar in growth,apperance and yeild.The lui yeilds slightly better,supports it's own weight,and has alittle more potency.But only an experienced grower/smoker could tell the difference.Side by side,the buds have only subtle differences, and are usually rock hard with great smell..swt#3 is always the winner in a taste contest!!The grape krush has not finished flowering yet..so i'm still learning about her.We made seeds with the male before we even started any girls..Never ever done that before!! Alot of it has to do with timing and space..what do ya do !! Well anyone that has any experience, feel free to smash my dreams of granduer..haha!!:punch

P

ProGroWannabe

The way I see it, as long as your looking for plants with "most" of the P1 mom's traits, then you should be able to reach that goal fo sho. Now if you were seriously looking to "duplicate" the P1 mom, I'd say "don't set yourself up for disappointment". Chimera's article makes perfect sense to me, so I tend to think he's right. Let us know what you decide to do.

S

Silica

Another technique that i have had some luck with is selfing.
Its worked for me and i have had all females of good equal quality to the mum.. Only tried it with white rhino though.

You probably know how to do this but heres how anyway.

The way i would recomend to do this is select the mother you want to vertually duplicate and take many cuttings.
Select a good decent cutting and flower it in a seperate room with decent lighting.

Light stress only one cutting. (or use gibberillic acid which i havent tried yet).
Light stress- 12 on 5 off 1 on 6 off or there abouts for three weeks of flower.

Collect hermy pollen from cutting dust up other cuttings from same mother.

I was thinking of doing this into another strain and seeing if i get good results aswell, trying to get good mother traits into a new cross but 99% females..

I hear gibberillic acid is better for this method.

Note- its important to not mix the seeds of the hermy cutting or just chuck out the hermy cutting after pollen is collected.
The seeds from a hermy cutting onto a hermy cutting will greatly increase the number of hermies in offspring.

S

Skunkenstein

Fortunately we do now have a separate area for the boys.We bring in the selected mothers and hand pollinate with a fine paint brush.Leave them in a staging area for a day,rinse off liberally,and back to the ''Big Room'' they go.The hand pollination really pays dividends with huge healthy seeds.I've been really suprised how much seed we get off lower branches, while still maintaining great sinse tops.Does'nt effect over-all yield..just slows em up a bit. As a side note{unrelated} I just sent off an order for Doc Atomics Northern lights and Joey weed Cindarella 99.I've been admiring Cindy from afar for years..This strain has been involved in sooo many breeding projects,I just have to have it.And the reports of ''Low Odor'' really have me intrigued.I've been growing stinky-ass Indica for so long..low odor does'nt even sound ''real'' to me !!

P

ProGroWannabe

Joey's Cindy is great! Your gonna like that one fo real. Congratulations on catching them when they were in stock. That is a feat in itself nowadays.

S

Skunkenstein

When I actually get get them in my hands you'll be the first to know ''Pro''.It will be a special grow for the Princess to be..So many projects..So little time !!

P

ProGroWannabe

LOL Yup always the same story for us growers huh? .....so little time.....sigh.

Top Bottom