cureing

• Thread starter Hondaguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hondaguy

Hey guys checked the jars this mornin an smell seems to be getting better but not where i want i yet. I just had a question about density. Bud seems light on oz looks like 2 oz's woundering how to get it to weigh more . is this strain dependent thing.

haqndyman

haqndyman

if your hygromiter is reading 52 you are too dry, cureing stops below 60 and above 65% humidity.
the zone is 60 to 65% for cureing to occur ,anything else is just wasting time.,

germinator

germinator

Hey guys checked the jars this mornin an smell seems to be getting better but not where i want i yet. I just had a question about density. Bud seems light on oz looks like 2 oz's woundering how to get it to weigh more . is this strain dependent thing.
Different strains do display different bud density, no doubt.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

I use jars and evacuate the air with a seal-a-meal attachment. Are you guys all doing this or did you know there is such a thing?
I have tried this for personal jars and found it pulled out too much moisture. Do you use it during the cure or afterward just to preserve? All my reading says nitrogen storage works better than vacuum, but the latter is easier and less equipment. Check out the "Pump N Seal", simpler than Seal-a-Meal and only $20.

below frigid

below frigid

At 52 % curing has pretty much stopped.

Cut the product, trim it per your preference, but don't dry it until the stems snap. Take it down while the stems still have some flex, but the product feel dry on the outside. This is a perfect opportunity to drop the dry-feeling flowers onto a screen and collect prime-quality kief that would otherwise get lost in the jar.

Jar the product, along with a Caliber III hygrometer. One can be had on Ebay for ~$20. Having tested a number of hygrometers - digital and analog - this model in particular produced consistent, accurate results. Then, watch the readings:

+70% RH - too wet, needs to sit outside the jar to dry for 12-24 hours, depending.

65-70% RH - the product is almost in the cure zone, if you will. It can be slowly brought to optimum RH by opening the lid for 2-4 hours.

60-65% RH - the stems snap, the product feels a bit sticky, and it is curing.

55-60% RH - at this point it can be stored for an extended period (3 months or more) without worrying about mold. The product will continue to cure.

Below 55% RH - the RH is too low for the curing process to take place. The product starts to feel brittle. Once you've hit this point, nothing will make it better. Adding moisture won't restart the curing process; it will just make the product wet. If you measure a RH below 55% don't panic. Read below:

Obviously, the product need time to sweat in the jar. As such, accurate readings won't be seen for ~24 hours, assuming the flowers are in the optimal cure zone. If you're curing the product for long-term storage, give the flowers 4-5 days for an accurate reading. If the product is sill very wet, a +70% RH reading will show within hours. If you see the RH rising ~1% per hour, keep a close eye on the product, as it's likely too moist.

Some well-worded and executed How-to using this technique from later in the thread:

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

The drying process "hanging plants" Can be considered part of the curing stage. If you can be at 50 degrees with 50% humidity then you can dry and cure at the same time. When a plant dries to fast it effects the terpines which in turn effect the smell. A 7-10 day hang is best. I only jar up my personal and cure for a but longer for that stonier effect. My nugs smell exactly the same before and after the trim and don't need to be put in a jar and cured before dispensing. Practice makes perfect and that's in the grow room and in the drying room. So it's more like perfect practice makes perfect medicine. Learn from your mistakes for sure. One more thing. If you going to control your grow room environment why not control your drying room. That's the most important step in the process. Seems like most take it to lightly and it's for sure not something to be taken lightly. Good luck Hondaguy and i hope your drying/curing gets better and better. Peace out :)
Are you hanging whole plants, or branches with shade leaves removed? I've been doing do the latter starting at 50%, but once they're mostly dry this seems a tad low for extended line curing. Maybe because my dry room temps (65ish) were higher than yours? I'm thinking VPD can be applied here, and maybe raise to 55-60% after initial drying, just pre-snap?

H

Hondaguy

Yes I hung the whole plant without the fans let dry for about 5 days at 70 to 73 temp and rh was 55 to 65 something like that plants smelt killer while drying. Right now the rh is 50 in the jars now. popped them to take a smell they don't smell like hay or wet grass but it just don't have that dank smell anymore. I'm sure i overdryed the stuff. I find it hard to believe that you can only get good smelling and tasteing stuff if u grow organic. im on the netx round now so when i harvest should i hang the whole plant or just hang the branches also wet or dry trim. I dry trimmed before and got that hay smell after 2 days

H

Hondaguy

so when i put the buds in the jars for the first time and seal them up the rh should climb to 60 to 65 rh right. then what rh to stop burping an just let them sit.

frebo

frebo

what is the biggest jars you suggest
thanks guy
A quarter pound usually easily fits in the half gallon jars and an ounce usually fits in a pint. I only use large mouth jars so I can evacuate the jars with my seal-a-meal attachment that I have talked about before. I don't see a whole lot of damage to the lower buds in the jars. I freeze all my jars until opened to use.

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I had a TGA Jack Skellington plant that was just ok after the dry and 3 week cure.

I stopped running it.
Then I found a nice nug I had stashed and forgot about.
It smelled and tasted like candy, super dank. It was like a sour tangerine gummy. I wish I would of kept her. It was so dank after a 90 day cure it could of placed in a cannacup.

The cure brings out the true flavor imo.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

curing-cheat-sheet.jpg

According to this 50% is too dry, putting big fans in the room is not necessary and can dry your bud too fast. One small fan in the room not blowing directly on the drying bud is best.

Mr.X

Mr.X

Be patient, if the amount of bud in the jar is too little it will take longer for the fermentation process to kick in. Fill your jar 3/4 and lay it sideways so the weight doesnt squish your bottom buds. Before jarring wait till the buds feel crunchy on the outside ,5 to 7 days depending on environment. Before the stems snap debone and jar. The parts that are still holding moisture will rehydrate the dryer leaf and buds. Leave them for 48 hrs without opening to accelerate the process and then burp every day allowing the jars to sit open for 30 min. When the buds get soft and start to stick to each other the process has started. Keep a close eye, if they get too spongy empty the jar and lay buds flat for 15 to 30 min. Repeat again until the buds regain firmness and have gotten a golden amber tinge. After this you can burp every 3 days and less often as time goes. The aroma if done correctly will almost resemble that of fermented grapes or red wine. PEACE, best of luck to you.

Top Bottom