Curing.....again!

• Thread starter Crapweed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Crapweed

Hi all,

Read so many threads about curing etc and I can not seem to get it right! Whatever I do the weed just smells like hay all the time!!! My last crop (female seeds c99) smelt lovely when trimming it up ready for the cure, 2 days in the jars and now when I pick up a bud they smell like shit! is this a normal process of curing? Seems to happen everytime help!!

Wisher619

Wisher619

I know this has been covered extensively but.....the "Curing" process starts the final 2 weeks or so before harvest during the flushing process once chopped and trimmed it should be dryed slowly....I dry in a 55f room with a humidity of 50-60%
this usually takes about 2 weeks up until the stem breaks inside when bent but the exterior is still pliable....they then get a final trim and go in the jar or brown bag etc.....once there I open the lid once a day for 5 min for at least 2 weeks but usually I wont touch mine for 6 months....but during the jar process after 2 weeks of jar I then only open the jar once a week and then after 2 months I only open once every 2 months.....for me usually the hay smell can be attributed to the first stage of cure i e flushing.....hay smell is usually associated with high levels of chlorophyl levels in the product now it does finally break down after a few months so just keep airing them out and jarring them and eventually that hay smell will gonaway

C

Crapweed

So do you dry with the fan leaves on or off? It was hanging up with the leaves on for about 6 days, room temp was between 18-20c and humidity ranged from about 45-55% I couldn't dry it anymore as I'm pretty sure buds would have turned to dust when touched. smell has been there throughout drying and trimming process and once put in jars has changed! Hope it is just chlorophyll breaking down and will go when it's done, the finger hash tasted lovely and fruity

ken dog

ken dog

Trim it up, throw it on the net, and wait a day and a half... Put it in a plastic bag overnight, 24 hours max... take it out of the bag and spread it over your net again for at least another day... Then back in the net again over night, this time with a hygrometer in it.

Keep taking it off the net back into the bag and back on the net, until the hygrometer reads 62%, then you can start your slow curing until it gets to 60%... It should stay there for a long time.

If it takes longer than 2 days to get the outside crispy in the net the very first time, then your drying room is not dry enough.

C

Crapweed

Ahhhh I see, I've never once got a plastic bag involved! Not read on any threads to use one ha! Just moving my tent around from the previous crop and I found a couple of straggly buds that have been on the net for a couple of days......they smell lovely lol!

Would it be to late for the rest of my crop to smell nice now once it smells of hay?

C

Crapweed

Spot on mate, thanks

Buds are out of the jar and drying, I shall update the thread and let you know how it's gone.

Got some gdp and ghost train haze coming next, determined to get it right before then

C

Crapweed

I've just got myself a load of small ones that I can stick on the inside of my jars, hopefully then I can get the correct humidity down to a tee.

Will get some batteries tonight and fire them up

saltwater

saltwater

Maybe your harvesting too early. Not sure.

For me I trim off the fan leaves. Then hang my plant upside down for 7-10 days or so. I try to prolong my dry as long as possible without getting mold on my buds. Then I trim my buds a bit and jar them. Im no professional. Still a newbie . But my first harvest my buds smelt like hay. It was because I harvested too early.i grew the same strain again for the second time and let it grow out for a week longer and didn't have that hay smelling issue.

gwheels

gwheels

I have a jar of kush with the same problem. I ran out of outdoor time and harvested it a week or so early. It smells like hay. If I keep it in the jar will it change the aroma or will it forever smell like hay?

I will let it stay in the jar. If it smells like hay i will add it to the bubble hash trim pile :D all is not lost.

The other harvests were fine but maybe they dried out better or were harvested at a better point.

AnEn

AnEn

Chlorophyll smells like hay/grass. Ladies are supposed to be flushed until they deplete most of the chlorophyll by themselves. Once you cut off the nutes they will start using what is stored in the leaves ( secondary source of energy)including chlorophyll. leaves will turn colors, eventually turn yellow and start to fall off once completely depleted. Time to cut girls down.

I prefer to "wet trim" , so they get completely trimmed after they are cut down, and sugar leaves are still perky.

Drying. Hang em in dark place with relatively high humidity. Closer they are to each other, slower the drying process. In a small drying room the will raise the humidity level by themselves. Drying process has to be slow, cause during this time remaining chlorophyll is turning into " sugars ". Once completely dry, remaining chlorophyll is locked into cells and will not transform, so it is important to dry em slowly. For first 5-6 days my stems are soft and pliable. Day 8-10 stems are stiff and will break , but skin stays intact. Once the stems " snap off" , usually day 12-14, I take everything off the stems and put it air proof containers. At this point outside layers on the bud seems to be completely dry and it will pulverize if I squeeze it, but core will be still wet.

Curing. After a day in a jars or containers they " sweat up". Bud is "wet" and playable. So wet, that you can't smoke it. Rotate the bud, and leave the container open until the top layers are crispy again(1-2 hours).
Repeat once a day, every day. It will take less time for top layer to get "crispy" as days go by, and you will be able to tell that a whole content is getting dry, and bud is solidifying into a hard nugget. Smell and taste will pop at the same time. Once you are happy with smell/ taste, and it burns good, you are done.
It usually takes me 12-14 days to dry, and 3-4 weeks to cure. If smell doesn't pop by week 5 , something is wrong. I can stretch curing in containers to months, but I don't have a time for that , and difference in quality is not worth it.

MiMadman

MiMadman

Alot of good info here...make sure ur getting as much stem /wood out of the buds as u can. Do this first...thing after triming....or as u trim. A fool proof drying method would be to then put n brown paper bags...and hang the bags up high. Put about a quarter of the bags totally capacity in it. Then lightly shake the bag each day. 8 to 10 days done. I found better to dry fast than slow. As the cure will take care of it. But slow drying...isnt advised. ..bud mold can ruin a crop. So get a portable heater...use it...try this and you'll never look back. Always make sure buds are dry befor going into jars....if u open a jar and its damp or musty...back to bags....if its soft and squishy, not dry to touch...back to bags. Critical. A branch should snap when dry... roll a joint....blow threw it..if u can feel air on back of hand placed at end of joint...ur good if not back to bags. Drying room needs to have heat and a fan...to increase temps and keep air moving. I seen a guy ruin a nice od crop...sick nugs ...pds of it. By taking to long to get it dry...basically went stale...and had the hay taste and smell going. He didn't even know he done it.... good luck keep us posted

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Where do you live OP? Coastal NorCal and the desert of New Mexico are 2 completely different scenarios. Seems to be the most neglected aspect of grow tipping: what works 3 hours away won't always work for you.

Keeping as much stem on the plant is key. The smell comes from the stem, just as the buds did. It all starts before chop, and gradually the plant dries, there is no 'time of death'. Everything good happening in the plant comes from the soil, through the stem. No soil, no stem = bad herb.

Where I live (desert) you have to grow in a medium, you have to fade the plants out while rooted, you have to leave the plants whole, and you have to seal them up long before the stems are brittle. Or else you will end up with dispensary-grade chlorophyll bud. If you've ever noticed with dispensary weed, the bud fiber will smell like hay, but the stem will always smell like dank.

People are not thinking about this at all. Trichomes dont make medicine, they store medicine once its produced by the stem. Resin glands arent glands, sorry. They are banks.. Best bud always has fat stems and was hung whole. No coincidence here.

That locked in chlorophyll doesn't just ruin the smell, it eliminates the therapeutic benefits of the herb in a ratio directly related to amount of natural flavor removed from the plant. (lots of useless herb grown by turds who think more bottled snake oil gimmick juice is the answer, where i live most bud doesnt smell like bud at all, it smells like AN, GH, and Botanicare products)

Also if your growing hydroponic, that stuff doesn't want to smell like weed, its a counter productive method once quality becomes the focus. Or if using hydro nutes in soil, same outcome: ruined potential.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

LOL
You can't flush chlorophyll out of a plant! Please don't post false teks.

I don't flush, and haven't for 4yrs now. My product always smells dank.

It's all in the slow dry and proper cure. And broveda packs do NOT cure your bud. It's for after you reach your desired 50-55%rh for 24hts in a jar. Then you add your packs to keep the bids fresh. Nothing more, nothing less.

MiMadman

MiMadman

Thc is produced in the trichome...it doesn't travel in the stem Just as u may get good advice...u may get some ...thats lacking. Becareful what u listen to. Alot at stake....really. Anyone can grow weed. But to grow best n your area...is another story. Not trying to hurt feelings here.. youll meet all kinds on these sites. Be easy.

fatawa

fatawa

If its smelling like hay after u cure then your too wet wen going in jar.wen outside feels dry dont mean inside is..whats yur rh in rm yur drying/hanging?sooner then 6days n yur humidity is too low in the rm..7-10days it shud take..

Top Bottom