Curing and harvesting problems I need some help with

• Thread starter Ilike2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I just got a out of state job going to Texas. I harvested some of my plants 2 weeks ago. I also still have 2 plants I haven’t harvested yet. The already harvested ones are in jars and I burp them 3 times a day. But since I’m going to Texas I can’t bring them with me. What should I do with them? I know if I don’t burp them they will get mold. It happened to me during my last harvest. Should I just remove the tops and keep the jars in my dresser drawer? I don’t want them to dry out either. I know the plants I didn’t harvest yet should be fine with no water for 3 days. My lights on a timer so that’s not a issue. I just want to find a way that the buds won’t dry out.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Some folks put them into a brown paper sack like from the grocery store - it does let some air pass and over time it will normalize to conditions in the room.

Try not to stack them up where you have buds pushed into buds - maybe more bags with less in each?

Bovida packs are also a good solution for this problem - they will absorb or give off water as needed to maintain RH as long as you put in enough.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I just got a out of state job going to Texas. I harvested some of my plants 2 weeks ago. I also still have 2 plants I haven’t harvested yet. The already harvested ones are in jars and I burp them 3 times a day. But since I’m going to Texas I can’t bring them with me. What should I do with them? I know if I don’t burp them they will get mold. It happened to me during my last harvest. Should I just remove the tops and keep the jars in my dresser drawer? I don’t want them to dry out either. I know the plants I didn’t harvest yet should be fine with no water for 3 days. My lights on a timer so that’s not a issue. I just want to find a way that the buds won’t dry out.
Grove bags. They breath two way to maintain 58 - 62rh.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

If you have time to source the grovebags.com don’t require burping, are cheap, and in my experience maintain a consistent humidity.
I’m leaving tomorrow so I don’t think I’ll get them in time. So will paper bags work for 3-4 days? No one around me sells grove bags so I’d need to get them online.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I’m leaving tomorrow so I don’t think I’ll get them in time. So will paper bags work for 3-4 days? No one around me sells grove bags so I’d need to get them online.
If they are dry on outside but squishy like a marshmallow they’ll be fine in those paper bags till you get back.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

Yes, I don’t let mine dry enough to get all crunchy and brittle. They are like you described, dry but squishy. I’m going to do the paper bag method you said. I’ll then put them in jars when I get back.

mancorn

mancorn

Yeah paper works fine, I’ll leave mine in the sack for a week or more, and you can control humidity by rolling down the top or leaving the bag open. If it’s wet just leave the bag open. If dry, roll it down. Obviously you won’t be able to monitor every day, but It’s pretty forgiving as long as you don’t have fresh wet buds stacked on top of each other. (But if that was the case, you would be able to leave them out, so guessing it’s dry enough.)

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I was looking at the grove bag site. They look kinda like zip lock bags. So if I get these and use them instead of jars will they work better? Do I still need to burp them? They sound like a good idea to replace all these jars I have.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

Yeah paper works fine, I’ll leave mine in the sack for a week or more, and you can control humidity by rolling down the top or leaving the bag open. If it’s wet just leave the bag open. If dry, roll it down. Obviously you won’t be able to monitor every day, but It’s pretty forgiving as long as you don’t have fresh wet buds stacked on top of each other. (But if that was the case, you would be able to leave them out, so guessing it’s dry enough.)
Yes, mine are dry but not brittle on the outside. Should I just make sure there’s only 1 layer on the bottom? Or can I just fill it up 1/4 of the way? I’m afraid they will dry out and become crispy and crumble when you go to pack a bowl. But I’m assuming cover the bottom and close the top of the bag.

theNedster

theNedster

The Grove bags maintain whatever humidity the buds are at when you put them in there. They aren’t going to bring 75% down to 62% for example. They will maintain the humidity in that 58-62 range once you get the nuggs there. Personally, I find paper bags smell like recycled mill pulp. Sort of like improperly cured nuggs. In the situation you describe here, if the nuggs are already dry enough to have been jarred, you should not get mold after only 3 days. However, I would put the nuggs in a big plastic bag yet leave the top open a little. How much are we talking?
Edit: to be clear I experimented quite a bit with these grove bags and I do like them quite a bit. But it isn’t like a Boveda.

Reactions: TSD
mancorn

mancorn

Yes, mine are dry but not brittle on the outside. Should I just make sure there’s only 1 layer on the bottom? Or can I just fill it up 1/4 of the way? I’m afraid they will dry out and become crispy and crumble when you go to pack a bowl. But I’m assuming cover the bottom and close the top of the bag.
Sounds like you’ll be fine packing them together. If I have buds on small stems I’ll have the bag pretty full. If it’s just 100% bud then yeah 1/4 full is good and roll down the top to about 1/2 way.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Yes, I don’t let mine dry enough to get all crunchy and brittle. They are like you described, dry but squishy. I’m going to do the paper bag method you said. I’ll then put them in jars when I get back.
They’ll be fine then. Enjoy the trip to TX.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I agree you will be fine for a few days. Or you got a bunch of bong hits to do before your trip to eliminate the problem.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I agree you will be fine for a few days. Or you got a bunch of bong hits to do before your trip to eliminate the problem.
Oh, if I did that I’d be so fucked up I wouldn’t know up from down.. lol. But I have 5 different strains and I can’t mix em up. I figured I’ll put each strain in its own bag and just close em up. I just can’t lose all that smoke, I’d be all out of smoke till next harvest.

TSD

TSD

Grove bags are great, I had to go that route last fall because I had more than I bargained for and burping jars wasn't feasible. They do make curing less labor intensive. I still flip the buds like monthly and I put the filled bags in a cooler because my house can get very dry in winter. They definitely cure though, every time I open the bags it smells better. I didn't seal my bag tops like they recommend because I like to be able to get in easily if I want to play w my buds lol.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I sure wish I knew about these grove bags before now. I wouldn’t be having this issue. I just hope the 2 plants I have still in the tent will make it for 4 days without water.

E

erickvelez5

Get a grove bag

Top Bottom