Curing humidity question, need guidance

• Thread starter Sykemfs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sykemfs

Sykemfs

Hey everyone. So I just finished trimming up and jarring my first grow. I finished up one plant last night and I noticed the humidity in the jars is like 58-59%. I know that the humidity needs to be slightly higher. I have some 62% Bovida humidipacks on the way. Should I put them into the jars that are reading low, or wait it out a bit longer?

Thanks

Enforcer

Enforcer

I wouldn’t worry about that. As long as you’re in the ballpark of 62% you should have good results. Something to keep in mind with humidity packs, it takes about 3 days for the humidity to stabilize at the advertised percent. If you’re still early in the curing process, you may want to wait a couple weeks before throwing them in and extending the time between opening the jar.

Sykemfs

Sykemfs

Oh, okay. I was under the impression that I really needed to be between 60-65. So, as long as it isn't crazy low I should be good? I appreciate the help

Enforcer

Enforcer

Oh, okay. I was under the impression that I really needed to be between 60-65. So, as long as it isn't crazy low I should be good? I appreciate the help

Yup, you’re good. You want to extend the drying time to 10-14 days. If you’re at 70*f and 55%RH it may take 10 days to dry. If you’re at 60*f and 60%RH it may take 14 days. As long as your in that range somewhere, you’ll have good flower. At least that’s been my experience.

Enforcer

Enforcer

Once I go into jars, I burp once a day for the first week or two. Then every few days for a week. At a month into cure if I’m going to use them (and they are not a must have item) I’ll throw in a humidity pack and only burp the jars once a month.

R

redshift75

from what i was able to figure out as long as you stay above 55%rh you are good. as far as terps go. but then again the argument is bovida ruins the terpes anyways. I personally prefer misting the inside of the lid. 1 mist put the lid back on same dif. dont need to spray direct or do too much for it to do its thing since you are sealing it. quart jar will go from 58% to 60% overnight when rh is on the decline.

Sykemfs

Sykemfs

Yup, you’re good. You want to extend the drying time to 10-14 days. If you’re at 70*f and 55%RH it may take 10 days to dry. If you’re at 60*f and 60%RH it may take 14 days. As long as your in that range somewhere, you’ll have good flower. At least that’s been my experience.

I had the humidity at about 55% - 60% and the temp was probably around 68-71. I took them down at about 10/11 days. I wasn't really sure if they were ready though. The outside of the buds felt really crispy, but the smallest stems weren't snapping. I wasn't 100% sure if i needed a smaller stem to snap, or just a small bud needed to snap off, so I took them down. I thought it might have been early, but when I saw the humidity in the jars below 60 I started to wonder if I took them down too late.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I go by when the small stems crack, not necessarily snap off. From the parameters you mentioned I think you’ll be fine.

BudBogart

BudBogart

I had the humidity at about 55% - 60% and the temp was probably around 68-71. I took them down at about 10/11 days. I wasn't really sure if they were ready though. The outside of the buds felt really crispy, but the smallest stems weren't snapping. I wasn't 100% sure if i needed a smaller stem to snap, or just a small bud needed to snap off, so I took them down. I thought it might have been early, but when I saw the humidity in the jars below 60 I started to wonder if I took them down too late.

youre certainly within range. The humidity in the jar may go up as the moisture in the stems rehydrates the outer parts of the buds. In a perfect curing you will see that occurring for the first days.
After a bit of long term storage, Bud at 60-62 humidity smokes perfect, bud at 55% humidity perfectly acceptable. Much lower than 55% and its dry and like you find in a sandwich baggie. Bud over 62% after long term storage , I think it was jarred too early.
10/11 days hang time is great, I shoot for 62% humidity in the dry room, but it’s gonna fluctuate.

Top Bottom