curing, it's not cut and dry

• Thread starter Califlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Califlower

Califlower

What do you think of my dry and cure method? For some plants that have more stretch I hang the whole plant to dry. For others I hang branches on a line. They mainly hang out in 70-80 degree room with airflow and rh about 65% average. I like to keep it under 75 degrees F, but sometimes it creeps up for a little while. I may get slightly uneven or quick drying if I leave them up too long, so I get them into paper bags when the sugary leaves seem dry but the calyx seem a little damp. This is too wet to jar, so I cut the plant into manageable branches, then put them into a paper bag. After a day or two, they go into the jar and I use a hygrometer to check and burp starting at 70% rh, burp for an hour a day, then get it down to 62-65% rh. Then ideally let cure 4 weeks, smoke check. Maybe smoke check in 2 weeks.

What do you think of the Boveda 2 way humidipacks? For weed drier than 62% in the jar, I worry exactly what is in the water vapor potentially from the packs, like random chemicals. But for curing, I think they are not a good idea, but perhaps for long term storage.

I was reading a lot of curing threads and book chapters and I heard about two post-cure storage methods. First, vacuum pack the buds and replace the air with nitrogen (nitrogen packed). The other reference said you can get an expensive vacuum sealer and vacuum pack the buds into mason jars. This would mean there would in theory only be bud in a vacuum, no gases present in the jar. Pretty sure, but I didn't research vacuum packing online yet. Tell me what you think. How long would you store bud? I was thinking of getting some bags for the ice hash making.. good idea?

peace

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I can't speak a word about the Boveda packs, but I can bump your thread for ya.

Oh, I've been given weed that someone imploded a glass jar onto when he was trying to vacuum seal it in a Mason jar. When I asked WTF was all that glass in the weed he told me what happened. I tossed it in the compost, who wants to smoke fucking glass, let alone try to roll it?

If your back can take making ice hash, then I think you'd like it. Otherwise I'm going to continue doing RSO-style extractions with the bud I don't plan to smoke, it's a LOT easier on my back even if it is harder on my wallet.

Junk

Junk

Oh, I've been given weed that someone imploded a glass jar onto when he was trying to vacuum seal it in a Mason jar. When I asked WTF was all that glass in the weed he told me what happened. I tossed it in the compost, who wants to smoke fucking glass, let alone try to roll it?

If your back can take making ice hash, then I think you'd like it. Otherwise I'm going to continue doing RSO-style extractions with the bud I don't plan to smoke, it's a LOT easier on my back even if it is harder on my wallet.

Good ole glass weed. It's hard to find anymore. I hope you kept that person's number.

B

bIlToNG

Rofl!

Glass weed aint what it used to be. Back in the day that shit was so potent we'd just toss away the weed and smoke the glass

Latest posts

Top Bottom