Curious about your tap water

• Thread starter Potfairy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chem77

Chem77

Beautiful roots!!! 👍

I've had aerocloners in the past but I always seem to end up with root rot. When they worked the roots were awesome like yours but when it didn't it was just mush.
Good chance it got to warm. I’m in a cold basement in Michigan. 70-75 has always done me well. I used to run a 48 site cloner till 2012 as I was budding 40 at a time.

H

hydrodreams

I didn’t word that very well. My tap/well water is around 200 ppm by itself. I do use foliage pro fertilizer.
How do you make sure, that the ec in the medium of the mothers doesn't become too high. For me, that was the one big thing that I neglected and caused a lot of failure in rooting success.
I honestly don’t know if co2 helps or not with root development. But yes I get nice roots now.
The reason why I was asking, was this: I watched this youtube video from one of the big famous facilities with their high tech rooms and the interviewer talked to one of the responsible person who was sitting in front of a big screen that showed a graphic display of all the different rooms with all the values for room temp, room humidity and also co2 content in the room. When they showed this, I noticed, that they also have a higher value of Co2 in the cloning room....Why not?

Beautiful roots!!! 👍

I've had aerocloners in the past but I always seem to end up with root rot. When they worked the roots were awesome like yours but when it didn't it was just mush.

I am very close to switch to aero cloning, so I am already insecure again when I read such comments like yours. But I am really growing tired with peat plugs. The thing that really attracts my about aerocloners are the fact that you can keep the dome off, you don't have to trim leaves, it seams that it works better when you want to have a lot of clones next to each other without a space between them.... This screenshot I did yesterday:
Hhh

So they really also do it in commercial environments, altough the trays with domes still seem to be the majority....

Chem77

Chem77

How do you make sure, that the ec in the medium of the mothers doesn't become too high. For me, that was the one big thing that I neglected and caused a lot of failure in rooting success.

The reason why I was asking, was this: I watched this youtube video from one of the big famous facilities with their high tech rooms and the interviewer talked to one of the responsible person who was sitting in front of a big screen that showed a graphic display of all the different rooms with all the values for room temp, room humidity and also co2 content in the room. When they showed this, I noticed, that they also have a higher value of Co2 in the cloning room....Why not?

I am very close to switch to aero cloning, so I am already insecure again when I read such comments like yours. But I am really growing tired with peat plugs. The thing that really attracts my about aerocloners are the fact that you can keep the dome off, you don't have to trim leaves, it seams that it works better when you want to have a lot of clones next to each other without a space between them.... This screenshot I did yesterday:
View attachment 1292493
So they really also do it in commercial environments, altough the trays with domes still seem to be the majority....
I feed my mothers bare minimum and give them just plain water often. I also make new mothers every harvest which is around 70 days. I up pot 3 times in them 3 months. I also cut them back over the 3 months and usually 2-3 weeks before I take cuttings. Makes nice soft new growth for cuttings. This is year 22 in this room so I just like to keep it simple I’ve learned over the years.
I like young, healthy mothers. My oldest strain I have now is 5-6 years. Cops took one strain I had for 15 years in 2012.

A

AfghaniGuy

I have tap water in the SF bay area that is brought from the Sierra (Hetch Hetchy).
PPM is 47
8+ on the PH, but due to the low PPM, it drifts pretty easily.
I always end up needing to use a fair amount of PH^ to get to 6.5 after adding nutes.

I'm pretty sure the water district uses chlorimine, but dechlor neutralizes it pretty well.
Not in Redwood. PH out of the tap is 8 or above. I use a lot of white vinegar (acetic acid) every grow.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

There must be a lot of weed growers in my area because my tap tested at 20ppm and 7.0ph 😀

H

hydrodreams

@Chem77: What's the medium and the final pot size you use for your mothers?

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I am very close to switch to aero cloning, so I am already insecure again when I read such comments like yours. But I am really growing tired with peat plugs. The thing that really attracts my about aerocloners are the fact that you can keep the dome off, you don't have to trim leaves, it seams that it works better when you want to have a lot of clones next to each other without a space between them....
Don't let me discourage you! Aeroponics has been around for decades so there is nothing wrong with it. More me than anything else. I'm sure I was the one doing something wrong and that's why I got what I got.

H

hydrodreams

My mother plants get fed foliage pro .....

Did you chose that fertilizer for any particular reasons? The NPK of 9-3-6 seems very unusual especially with its very high nitrogen of 9!!!. Many people say high nitrogen for cloning is counterproductive...
Just wondering

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

3 +- months. When I take clones every 3+- months I take 1 extra of each strain for new mother.
Just to clarify. So you are growing and taking cuts off of mothers for 3 months, give or take, and then, when taking cuts, are establishing a new mother of the cultivar you just took a cut from? What are you doing with the original mother? Do you flower it after the cut you took has taken hold and is getting mature enough to take cuts from?

1 Gallon pot seems awfully small for a mother but if you're only keeping the plant alive for 3 to 4 months then ok.

Chem77

Chem77

Did you chose that fertilizer for any particular reasons? The NPK of 9-3-6 seems very unusual especially with its very high nitrogen of 9!!!. Many people say high nitrogen for cloning is counterproductive...
Just wondering
I use dyna gro products which is foliage pro for the last year or two. Before that I used mega crop, fox farm and a few others over the 30 years of cloning. Never had a problem with anything cloning. Young/new soft growth is what I like for cuttings. I only feed them and on the lighter side when they need it as I don’t like wasting fertilizer.

Chem77

Chem77

Just to clarify. So you are growing and taking cuts off of mothers for 3 months, give or take, and then, when taking cuts, are establishing a new mother of the cultivar you just took a cut from? What are you doing with the original mother? Do you flower it after the cut you took has taken hold and is getting mature enough to take cuts from?

1 Gallon pot seems awfully small for a mother but if you're only keeping the plant alive for 3 to 4 months then ok.
I throw them in the fire pit, get to many small larfy buds off mothers than I like.
I think your over thinking it. I’m a keep it simple kind of guy.

Chem77

Chem77

Yes you are correct on my mothers since I didn’t answer in my last post. Didn’t mean you are over thinking it either, that comment was for hydrodreams. Sorry

Chem77

Chem77

My 943,000 successful clone, lol. Took 14 with 9 different strains/phenos, 100% again. Mother replacement

H

hydrodreams

Very jealeous....Did you ever have a strain that caused you a poor rooting rate? Did you ever try to root cuts with (slightly) hollow stems?

Congrats for your sucess 👍

Top Bottom