Custom Drying Racks & Aluminum

• Thread starter SAMCRO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I was going to build custom drying racks made from wood framing with an aluminum window screen material. Anybody have any experience with using Aluminum window screening? Any reactions with the finished wet bud drying on a aluminum rack? I like the idea of the aluminum for ease of cleaning and longevity of the rack. I was thinking of using the other materials that are out there but they show they are made of fiberglass. I didn't like the idea of fiberglass screen touching the drying buds and having some kind of fiberglass fibers embedded on the bud for somebody to take into their lungs. I might be over thinking it but that was my concerns.

Any ideas on a custom drying racks and sturdy materials?

Photo taken from one of Jacks grow shows on here. Hope you don't mind Jack.

Drying 02
crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
You can go that route, but I found that it's easier to just go with these.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Yeah I like the idea of those because they are pretty cheap and just unpack it and done if you just need 1 or 2. I just don't have the ceiling height for those to take advantage of them. I would need like 10 of those to based on the real estate we have. So I thought going landscape and optimize the space I do have while still having room to keep cool, run the scrubber and do final trimming, curing and packing all in one room.

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I have seen peeps using patio door screens slid into a shelf like this kinda. But on a larger scale of course ;) This is for drying bubble hash lol
-14_3.jpg

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I like that rack too. Found a few floating on the net like that as well.

Heres what I found on Youtube that looks like what I had thought up along with Jacks drying photo shown earlier.

http://youtu.be/DDkrc2OGJIk

Sorry I dont know how to put the photo of the with the youtube window on here yet.

qupee

qupee

No posting youtube logs

weird .. I swear I posted this earlier... did anyone else see it or am i crazy?

Anyway, I use non-metallic screen in a tent. I've attached wooden dowels to the tent poles and stretch the screen over them and secure everything with some zip ties.

Here's a cheesy little vid:

[

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

I saw this and its a really nice set up. What is "Non Metallic" screening material that not made from Fiberglass? Please let me know so I can go check it out and buy a roll or will the aluminum work just as good?

T

treehugger

I was going to build custom drying racks made from wood framing with an aluminum window screen material. Any reactions with the finished wet bud drying on a aluminum rack?

Reactions? Yes, thca predominated in fresh glands, and aluminum corrodes rather rapidly in an acid environment. Not the best idea, i think...

With a little research you should be able to find stainless steel screening, even the old bronze would be better than aluminum.

T

treehugger

I saw this and its a really nice set up. What is "Non Metallic" screening material that not made from Fiberglass? Please let me know so I can go check it out and buy a roll or will the aluminum work just as good?

You mean polypropylene? A nice touch, but i think your fear of fiberglass mesh is over-zealous. The fibers are long and woven tightly together, shedding would be rather minor, particularly when you consider the "cementing" effect of broken glands.

qupee

qupee

Pretty sure this is the screen I got. It was something very similar. I don't recall it saying anything about fiberglass, and from it's texture it doesn't seem like any of the screen would come apart on be on the material.. but, just you mentioning it concerned me greatly I had to look. I think it is different from this screen that specifically says fiberglass ... but next time I'm in the depot I'll be double checking.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Reactions? Yes, thca predominated in fresh glands, and aluminum corrodes rather rapidly in an acid environment. Not the best idea, i think...

With a little research you should be able to find stainless steel screening, even the old bronze would be better than aluminum.

This is what I was in search of. Thank you Treehugger. I couldnt find stainless. That was my first choice. Depot didn't have any.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

You mean polypropylene? A nice touch, but i think your fear of fiberglass mesh is over-zealous. The fibers are long and woven tightly together, shedding would be rather minor, particularly when you consider the "cementing" effect of broken glands.

I remember seeing "Fiberglass" as the materials listed for the screen door and window material so I wondered away from it not knowing for sure. Polypropylene I did not see. But will venture in there and take peek at Lowes as well and see what they got going on

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Pretty sure this is the screen I got. It was something very similar. I don't recall it saying anything about fiberglass, and from it's texture it doesn't seem like any of the screen would come apart on be on the material.. but, just you mentioning it concerned me greatly I had to look. I think it is different from this screen that specifically says fiberglass ... but next time I'm in the depot I'll be double checking.

Ill check your brand out next time im at depot. It was 3 choices from their small selection. Aluminum, Fiberglass and one for PETS but did not have a materials list. Will keep you posted on this.

St3ve

St3ve

I don't know if you found your screen or not but I can tell you I picked up some vinyl mesh from the fabric store for $1.99 a yard. Bought 10 yards and made a 10 shelf rack out of 3/4" pvc. Works great for cheap.

I too didn't have the space for the big hanging racks so I custom built this one to fit in a corner of my space. Works perfectly.

E

Emithsuk

All of the screens at depot are fine to use have personally had no problems. Whatever is cheapest works best imho.

SAMCRO

SAMCRO

Drying Racks Completed

Here is what I came up that fits the area with without using the "Fiberglass" window screen materials found at your local stores. They have some that are not fiberglass after careful searching and hunting. Always enjoy the hunt as long as I got time but when Im in a hurry and in need it's a bitch. It wasnt worth it for me to take the risk with using the fiberglass. So I passed on several stores until I found one that didnt have that element. I also wanted the option to have multiple strains to seperate and keep track of each strain. Easy to handle and put on a trim table and transfer over. They all bounce so when you tap them from the bottom your buds will tumble to try and avoid having flat spots. At least thats the theory and concept.

These are 24" square drying racks. Allows for plenty of room for putting another row in each area if needed to go from 15 racks to 30 racks. But this will work for now. Thanks for your help regarding the aluminum. This is how I invisioned this drying rack area with little elbow room and no room for hanging and no room for instant drying nets to just hang up from your local hydro store. I think they turned out pretty cool.

Drying Rack 01
Drying Rack 02
Drying Rack 03
Drying Rack 05
S

SSHZ

I use sliding screen doors which I find at Home Depot/Lowes.Ace Hardware. They are quite cheap and work well. I put them on 5 gallon pales (3)- one on each end and 1 in the center. And they hold a lot of bud..........

MarijuanaBaybee

MarijuanaBaybee

any pics of that ssh? and how much does it run for 1 of those doors?

S

SSHZ

I checked in the gallery and no pic's- sorry. I buy the wooden frames with nylon mesh and I think they are about $30 each but they hold ALOT of bud and allow drying from the top and bottom, which I like. For a 3 lb. harvest, I think I used 2 screens and had just a bit more drying elsewhere.......

Top Bottom