Custom lm301b QB for micro box

• Thread starter gorillaglueaaron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Yea you can grow micro. Depending on genetics Ive gotten more than an ounce per plant (3 plants fit in the cabinet) under like 90-150 watt using EB3 Slims. I did not do a grams per watt comparison since plants were at different stages. Newer LED lights can definitely make things happen.

See below a space of 22 x 12 x 14 inches
I'm dealing with 1/4 that space.

Nice plants though.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
One plant. You might get like 14g-28g depending on genetics and height management.
My light is 25 ppf so my max yield is around 20g no matter what I do. I'm expecting 10-15.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
So ever since I started looking for a new light, I've always wondered what the absolute perfect grow light would be in a 2x2x4 tent. Now that I have the knowledge of how to build it and how everything works, I thought I could do it until I looked at at how much it would cost. Here's what I found about what the LEDs would have to be:
So, a 4000k lm301b is 38l.
At the spectrum of those diodes, that is 0.71 ppf
Which would translate to 1.53 ppfd in a 2x2 if 80% of the light reaches the canopy.
1000 (The perfect ppfd without CO2) / 1.53 is 654.
So you'd need 654 lm301b diodes to get the perfect ppfd without CO2.
To get the perfect number of diodes for with CO2, we just multiply that by 1.5 to get 981 diodes.
Now, the actual maximum light the plant can handle with tons of CO2 and everything is 2500.
So we multiply our original number, 654 by 2.5 and we get 1635.
This is all without ir and uv which wouldn't contribute to the ppfd but would be needed in the perfect light.
So the final costs for just the diodes for each ppfd is...
1000ppfd: $112
1500ppfd: $143
2500: $234
Might I remind you this is only the diodes.
Then I'd still have to but the ir and uv, the driver, the heatsinks, the wires, the solder, the potentiometer...
Plus the perfect light would have to be spectrum controllable so I'd have to get double the number of diodes for a bluer spectrum and a redder spectrum.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Interested to watch this I'm actually looking into building a super light versus paying for it have you looked at the qb648h at all? Thats what im thinking I'm gonna build mine out of is what im looking at currently make my own knock off Diablo for about 1/3 the price is what im considering 😬🤣🤣 litteraly started my list last night

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Interested to watch this I'm actually looking into building a super light versus paying for it have you looked at the qb648h at all? Thats what im thinking I'm gonna build mine out of is what im looking at currently make my own knock off Diablo for about 1/3 the price is what im considering 😬🤣🤣 litteraly started my list last night
No I haven't really looked into it but hlg makes good lights. Their only problem is coverage with quantum boards. If you're building your own light, you might as well make a strip light. It wouldn't cost much more but it maximizes your space.
Can I ask what size tent you're working with?

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

No I haven't really looked into it but hlg makes good lights. Their only problem is coverage with quantum boards. If you're building your own light, you might as well make a strip light. It wouldn't cost much more but it maximizes your space.
Can I ask what size tent you're working with?
A 5x5 is what im using atm but likely will be getting a larger one yeah definitely under stand the strip light theory theres so many different boards and chips its kinda crazy but one of the reasons I'm digging the 648s and 288s due to the fact they include the reds in the light and such. Im actually considering flipping on of my bars on mine and figuring out what they used to possibly just rip mine off also I'm happy with the results I've gotten from it so far just not feeling another big expensive bill lol

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
A 5x5 is what im using atm but likely will be getting a larger one yeah definitely under stand the strip light theory theres so many different boards and chips its kinda crazy but one of the reasons I'm digging the 648s and 288s due to the fact they include the reds in the light and such. Im actually considering flipping on of my bars on mine and figuring out what they used to possibly just rip mine off also I'm happy with the results I've gotten from it so far just not feeling another big expensive bill lol
Oh wow that's big and you're going even bigger. If you build your own, you can always add deep red and ir diodes and even uv. They're not too expensive either. You're right though, buying premade qbs might be cheaper than making your own. in my case I spent way more than I would have if I just bought a premade qb but I coudn't find any that worked for my space.

Here's a list of uv and ir chips:

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Oh wow that's big and you're going even bigger. If you build your own, you can always add deep red and ir diodes and even uv. They're not too expensive either. You're right though, buying premade qbs might be cheaper than making your own. in my case I spent way more than I would have if I just bought a premade qb but I coudn't find any that worked for my space.

Here's a list of uv and ir chips:
Nice thats cool to do either way though not a bad skill to have to build your own yeah I want bigger lol I'm tired of having a stuffed 5x5 last grow was 9 plants and was overcrowded this grow is 7 and over crowded next I'm gonna accept 6 is all i can grow in my 5x5 and hopefully not be overcrowded again so to resolve this i believe

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Nice thats cool to do either way though not a bad skill to have to build your own yeah I want bigger lol I'm tired of having a stuffed 5x5 last grow was 9 plants and was overcrowded this grow is 7 and over crowded next I'm gonna accept 6 is all i can grow in my 5x5 and hopefully not be overcrowded again so to resolve this i believe
In such a big tent, it would probably just be best to buy some light. Maybe, as you suggested, buying qbs and wiring the, would be cheaper but now that I think about it, wiring thousands of tiny LEDs would be too much.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

In such a big tent, it would probably just be best to buy some light. Maybe, as you suggested, buying qbs and wiring the, would be cheaper but now that I think about it, wiring thousands of tiny LEDs would be too much.
Yes alot of extra work um not sayibg I wouldnt do it i was actually planning the each and everyone then when I found the 648 and 288 boards the vision instantly changed partially because im lazy partially because its already the current proven best and the cost really wasn't to awful

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Yes alot of extra work um not sayibg I wouldnt do it i was actually planning the each and everyone then when I found the 648 and 288 boards the vision instantly changed partially because im lazy partially because its already the current proven best and the cost really wasn't to awful
It might be worth calculating what it would cost to do them individually to see the price difference. There are also the Samsung f strips. I think they might be cheaper than the qbs.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

It might be worth calculating what it would cost to do them individually to see the price difference. There are also the Samsung f strips. I think they might be cheaper than the qbs.
Oh yeah right now the qbs are the top dollar ones in my case i wanted to see exactly how much cheaper I could build it without paying for the name lol im at under half price with actually the exact same hardware no name is where my future lies in the grow world who knows maybe someday someone will want what im rocking either way im all about saving money even the end letters on the board can be a savings of 50% but in my case its a straight rip off of semi proven stuff is what I was looking at older technologies lights boards probably can be found for much cheaper if i was ripping off Mars or spider farmer i could do it for under 100 for the top shelf units its crazy the world of possibilities its opened at least for me financially wise to without paying the price run the best I can for the least amount of investment

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Oh yeah right now the qbs are the top dollar ones in my case i wanted to see exactly how much cheaper I could build it without paying for the name lol im at under half price with actually the exact same hardware no name is where my future lies in the grow world who knows maybe someday someone will want what im rocking either way im all about saving money even the end letters on the board can be a savings of 50% but in my case its a straight rip off of semi proven stuff is what I was looking at older technologies lights boards probably can be found for much cheaper if i was ripping off Mars or spider farmer i could do it for under 100 for the top shelf units its crazy the world of possibilities its opened at least for me financially wise to without paying the price run the best I can for the least amount of investment
Which diodes are you going with?

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

Which diodes are you going with?
To be honest I'm not sure yet the more I look into it the more options its making available to me really i will probably pull the trigger on the qb they are straight fire and an upgrade from my current run the qbs operating temps are ridiculous also thats why i mentioned to you for the closet grow the recommended height instead of being the avg 18 to 24 in is 12 meaning alot of extra grow height if you are crammed for size like your closet they also operate at a 3.1 effectiency instead of gavitas 2.6 or my 2 3 .... so im definitely trying to upgrade and do it for less than what my original light cost I like to save if I can but I also really want performance mainly so I jever have to buy anything again

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
To be honest I'm not sure yet the more I look into it the more options its making available to me really i will probably pull the trigger on the qb they are straight fire and an upgrade from my current run the qbs operating temps are ridiculous also thats why i mentioned to you for the closet grow the recommended height instead of being the avg 18 to 24 in is 12 meaning alot of extra grow height if you are crammed for size like your closet they also operate at a 3.1 effectiency instead of gavitas 2.6 or my 2 3 .... so im definitely trying to upgrade and do it for less than what my original light cost I like to save if I can but I also really want performance mainly so I jever have to buy anything again
New lights that are way better than the last are coming out every few years so I expect there's going to be revolutionary technology a couple years from now. Expecting to not buy a new light again might be a mistake. On the other hand I do think the LED revolution is coming to an end and we're going to start to see a decrease in advancements until the new type of lighting becomes available. Once LEDs have customizable spectrums and intensities, there won't be much left to do.

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

New lights that are way better than the last are coming out every few years so I expect there's going to be revolutionary technology a couple years from now. Expecting to not buy a new light again might be a mistake. On the other hand I do think the LED revolution is coming to an end and we're going to start to see a decrease in advancements until the new type of lighting becomes available. Once LEDs have customizable spectrums and intensities, there won't be much left to do.
And from what I know about my current light although I don't use it yet lol I can actually do that through an app I just use the dimmer knob because I'm lazy though 😆 I haven't quite reached the uber perfection stage yet of growing just like growing em big and fat as I can and hopefully through new methods and such wont have much need for the upgrades if I wasn't already looking into a bigger tent where I would need another light of equal or greater value i wouldnt ever look at more than mine but I run into the I want to at a minimum get bigger plants my 5x5 can't shove anymore in than 6 anymore and I'm still advancing and learning everyday eventually possibly next grow i may be just running 4 in a 5x5 its ridiculous to think currently but if I again run into I need to expedite my veg stage because no room it is what it is there won't complain about happy healthy girls ever but real estate all day 🤣🤣

SaintsSamilia

SaintsSamilia

So ever since I started looking for a new light, I've always wondered what the absolute perfect grow light would be in a 2x2x4 tent. Now that I have the knowledge of how to build it and how everything works, I thought I could do it until I looked at at how much it would cost. Here's what I found about what the LEDs would have to be:
So, a 4000k lm301b is 38l.
At the spectrum of those diodes, that is 0.71 ppf
Which would translate to 1.53 ppfd in a 2x2 if 80% of the light reaches the canopy.
1000 (The perfect ppfd without CO2) / 1.53 is 654.
So you'd need 654 lm301b diodes to get the perfect ppfd without CO2.
To get the perfect number of diodes for with CO2, we just multiply that by 1.5 to get 981 diodes.
Now, the actual maximum light the plant can handle with tons of CO2 and everything is 2500.
So we multiply our original number, 654 by 2.5 and we get 1635.
This is all without ir and uv which wouldn't contribute to the ppfd but would be needed in the perfect light.
So the final costs for just the diodes for each ppfd is...
1000ppfd: $112
1500ppfd: $143
2500: $234
Might I remind you this is only the diodes.
Then I'd still have to but the ir and uv, the driver, the heatsinks, the wires, the solder, the potentiometer...
Plus the perfect light would have to be spectrum controllable so I'd have to get double the number of diodes for a bluer spectrum and a redder spectrum.
Here's one of the options I found for smaller areas

Screenshot 20210117 144642 Facebook
Top Bottom