Cutting away the crap!

• Thread starter DrGreenLean
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

DrGreenLean

Hi Peeps!
I have a question... I was wondering as the plant develops stems at the bottom that don't really do much apart from sit there and look miserable, if I were to cut these ones away (the ones that blatently wont bud up), would that allow more light energy etc to reach the buds I want it too? I'm worried incase I kill the plant lol. I've seen pics of people plants where they have cut right up to the top few stems to allow those few stems huge budding potential...

Can anyone help me out? :stonedsmilie:

Does that make sense lol?

Kr,
DrGreenLean

R

Rolln J

yes - but you want to do that before week 2 of flowering otherwise you will not see the benefit...

C

CannabisSativa

yes, most def trim your ladies , as far as you must do it before wk2 to see any benefit Im not sure , maybe the "cola" top buds might not get any bigger but you'll have better air flow down low which is good.

D

DrGreenLean

Thanks guys for the input. I have no chance now then as I'm in week 6 of flower lol.

No matter though... I will just do this for my second grow :)

Thanks Again,
DrGL

R

Rolln J

yes, most def trim your ladies , as far as you must do it before wk2 to see any benefit Im not sure , maybe the "cola" top buds might not get any bigger but you'll have better air flow down low which is good.

yeah just for that reason alone I trim up everything at least 6 inches from the tops of the pots...

then day 12 of flowering everything half way up the plant from the bottom gets the axe (and gets rooted for the next round)

some strains will just produce fat single colas this way. the trim goes super fast and there is no popcorn buds

Thanks guys for the input. I have no chance now then as I'm in week 6 of flower lol.

No matter though... I will just do this for my second grow :)

Thanks Again,
DrGL

yeah week 6 wouldn't be good.

this will can be a good test for you (if you grow the same strain) - you can trim them up sooner next time and compare weight and man hours for trimming - as long as you dont trim too much your weight will be the same or more - just fatter nugs!

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
Some solid advice you've gotten DrGreenLean, I do what Rolln J mostly. I'll take cuttings from the plants in flower at 5 to 7 days and then come back at day 10 and trim anything off that I feel will not make it to the canopy or will not get light.

Here's a visual for ya. These girls are in one of my tents and I did a Scrog on them so for this grow I was a bit more aggressive becuase there will be NO light getting through and those lower buds will not develope. Plants went to flower on 8-01, pictures are date stamped.

jj

8 12 09 002
9 05 09 029
THECALI.KID

THECALI.KID

god air flow under your plants will help u out in the long run i do it a week befor budding so do it 2 weeks but i like to do it a week before happy grow The Cali. Kid

R

Rolln J

Some solid advice you've gotten DrGreenLean, I do what Rolln J mostly. I'll take cuttings from the plants in flower at 5 to 7 days and then come back at day 10 and trim anything off that I feel will not make it to the canopy or will not get light.

Here's a visual for ya. These girls are in one of my tents and I did a Scrog on them so for this grow I was a bit more aggressive becuase there will be NO light getting through and those lower buds will not develope. Plants went to flower on 8-01, pictures are date stamped.

jj

nice! is that a 2x4 tray? its what I use but I slam 12 clones in hydroton and growbags, veg for 10 days and turn em back - mine is SoG.

I used to run Scrog, but I like the short veg time.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
nice! is that a 2x4 tray? its what I use but I slam 12 clones in hydroton and growbags, veg for 10 days and turn em back - mine is SoG.

I used to run Scrog, but I like the short veg time.

That's a 2 x 2 tray with a grand total of 4 plants. Ran Sog's but backed away from the numbers game. Noramlly I don't do Scrog grows but for this particular plant it is a necessary evil IMHO.

Either way ya gotta trim off the lower stuff if you are running horizontal lighting. For the guys who hang multiple vertical lights the lower branches remain attached.

jj

H

HB Dave

Good info, thanks guys! I should have trimmed mine more, but being new, I was afraid to, I have a second grow that will move to flower in a little over a week and I will do this with them!

S

slim

I've altered my trimming over the last four rounds with the bubba kush. I was taught the 10 day rule of flowering to take any of the nonsense down. After experimenting a bit I've noticed that rule seems to be holding true. Any trimming after that didn't induce any more yield. I don't consider myself an expert, just thought I would share my personal experience.

-Slim

D

DrGreenLean

Many thanks for the info guys! I too, like Dave, was scared to hack away but after reading this I am sure to during my next grow. I'm only a week away now from harvest, I'm already well in to the flush so I shall keep you all posted as to my yield etc.

But witht he advice above in mind I'm sure I'll do much better next time around.

A question in relation to SCROG... A very generic question I might add...

What exactly is it and why do you use it?

Kr,
DrGL

R

Rolln J

its a training method - you have a screen that the plants grow up through and you use it to make the canopy even and full.

scrog uses less plants and longer veg the SoG - sea of green.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
A question in relation to SCROG... A very generic question I might add...

What exactly is it and why do you use it?

Kr,
DrGL

Rollin J is correct, it's a training technique. Scrog grows are low number long term veg grows. The purpose is to bring all stems to a level surface by moving them in, through around and over the string.

A few, but there are many more reasons, a person might grow this way is they have less light than optimal, a dense growing plant (these), limited vertical heigth. Or you can just be a grower that likes to play with his plants every day for 3 weeks:cool0041:

This shot is of the 4 plants I showed earlier, nice even canopy of buds, zero light penetration and they might be 24" tall at harvest.

jj

9 12 09 028
R

Rolln J

one more reason JJ - your a medical grower staying within state mandated 6/12 guidelines.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
one more reason JJ - your a medical grower staying within state mandated 6/12 guidelines.

exactly Rolln J, and the list can keep growing and growing. Less CAN be more.

jj

D

DrGreenLean

Thanks for the info guys! All taken in and understood. :)

DrGL

Top Bottom