Cutting the tips off leaves of clones

• Thread starter Bib4tuna
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I’ve grown with clones here & there but mostly have grown with seeds most of my life. A buddy of mine gave me a couple cuttings & I was wondering if I should cut the tips off the leaves. I keep seeing this online & wonder if this is a good idea. Just transplanted them two days ago & they’re about two ft.tall. Anybody suggest this or should I leave them be?

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

Are they showing roots? If they are I wouldn’t trim anything, but whenever I root newly cut clones, I always mar/snip the leaf tips to try to get the plant to concentrate more on root growth that photosynthesis. Happy growing!!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I’ve grown with clones here & there but mostly have grown with seeds most of my life. A buddy of mine gave me a couple cuttings & I was wondering if I should cut the tips off the leaves. I keep seeing this online & wonder if this is a good idea. Just transplanted them two days ago & they’re about two ft.tall. Anybody suggest this or should I leave them be?
The only reason people do that is when they're cloning a lot of clones at once and are putting them in a dome very close to each other. The reason for doing this, is it helps prevent mold from forming on the leaves while they are in the clone dome, with less places for moisture to sit and get stagnant..

Other than that, there's no reason to mess with 'em at this point. You can always trim off fan leaves to make room for bud sites and what-not, though. Personally I don't do much defoliation at all but I've been growing outdoors for the most part, lately.

Edit to add - Oh I just reread what you said. I've always been a firm believer that each leaf is a solar panel giving the plant energy, and unless the leaf is unhealthy looking or crowding a bud site in flower, I try not to remove them. I don't believe defoliating or even trimming leaves in the early stages will necessarily make roots develop faster. I've never seen a difference doing this, and I've never seen any research proving it, but I could be wrong. I don't think it will necessarily hurt your plant, though. So, try it out if you want. Maybe it will help, maybe not, we'll see! Good luck! 🤠

Last edited:
Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

The only reason people do that is when they're cloning a lot of clones at once and are putting them in a dome very close to each other. The reason for doing this, is it helps prevent mold from forming on the leaves while they are in the clone dome, with less places for moisture to sit and get stagnant..

Other than that, there's no reason to mess with 'em at this point. You can always trim off fan leaves to make room for bud sites and what-not, though. Personally I don't do much defoliation at all but I've been growing outdoors for the most part, lately.

Edit to add - Oh I just reread what you said. I've always been a firm believer that each leaf is a solar panel giving the plant energy, and unless the leaf is unhealthy looking or crowding a bud site in flower, I try not to remove them. I don't believe defoliating or even trimming leaves in the early stages will necessarily make roots develop faster. I've never seen a difference doing this, and I've never seen any research proving it, but I could be wrong. I don't think it will necessarily hurt your plant, though. So, try it out if you want. Maybe it will help, maybe not, we'll see! Good luck! 🤠
I’m a firm believer in don’t fix it’s not broken & also not big on experimenting with my plants when I haven’t a clue of what I’m doing. I’m sure ur right,I’ll just leave em be.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I've never seen research or side-by-side tests either. It makes sense that you want the cutting's energy and effort to go towards root development instead of supporting existing leaves, and there are a few other methods, products, and tips around this process too.....rooting powder, aloe gel, misting, increasing time with the dome lids off.....You'd think it would be hard to do a comparison.........100 cuttings without the leaf tips cut off, 100 with, and try to root them......because the cuttings will never be truly equal. Maybe if they tested to see if the ones with the leaf tips cut pumped out more root producing hormones? Maybe there are some studies on this, even on plants in general, I don't know.

You'd also think cutting the tips gives them better air, prevents mold......that also makes sense. I doubt it hurts them, and once they do root, unless you've really cut/stripped leaves way too much, they're probably going to grow at about the same rate.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

Are they showing roots? If they are I wouldn’t trim anything, but whenever I root newly cut clones, I always mar/snip the leaf tips to try to get the plant to concentrate more on root growth that photosynthesis. Happy growing!!
Sorry I overlooked & didn’t see ur post. Yes a friend had given them to me & they were already showing roots. They’re about two ft.tall. And this process of snipping the the leaves when they’re newly cut is likely what I’d read about became confused.

Bilber

Bilber

Clones uptake water through their leaves.....there are no roots to do the job....

When they transpire/sweat, it is through their leaves....

Cutting a little from the tips of the leaves balances their intake/outtake......

Pilted

Pilted

I made my first clones the other day, I did clip the leaves, I read somewhere that cutting the leaves simulate an animal eating the plant, which in turns tells the plant to focus on roots. I have no idea if that's true but first attempt I did get roots.

T

Tenesseejed

Though you are correct about the solar panel thing, you are obviously an amateur grower or not experienced with cloning propagation. You monitor your freshly inserted clones for proper fluid intake, if you notice your new clone wilting, you trim the ends off the fingers. It reduces the amount of water the freshly cut stem has to supply to the solar panel you speak of. Leaf trimming is done for that reason alone. It's a make or break, sink or swim, do or die type thing with a important purpose. 🤠🤓

T

Tenesseejed

Though you are correct about the solar panel thing, you are obviously an amateur grower or not experienced with cloning propagation. You monitor your freshly inserted clones for proper fluid intake, if you notice your new clone wilting, you trim the ends off the fingers. It reduces the amount of water the freshly cut stem has to supply to the solar panel you speak of. Leaf trimming is done for that reason alone. It's a make or break, sink or swim, do or die type thing with a important purpose. 🤠🤓
P.S. A grower only clones what he has room for and knows exactly how many will fit, if he thought he needed more, he'd expand his available area. Clones placed Properly into the desired medium never contact anything out side the medium diameter at time of conception. You're welcome 😊

T

Tenesseejed

I made my first clones the other day, I did clip the leaves, I read somewhere that cutting the leaves simulate an animal eating the plant, which in turns tells the plant to focus on roots. I have no idea if that's true but first attempt I did get roots.
Negative, its done solely for the purpose of easing the strain on supplying water from the newly cut stem to the impending leaves. If you stick a clone and notice leaf droop, move away from light and or trim ends of leaves, thus reducing the amount of water needing to be delivered to leaves prior to root system development. 😉 anyone tells you different they either don't know or they think they do.

Top Bottom