cuttings and hydropnics

• Thread starter p0is04
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

p0is04

Ok so my set up so far is 600W gavita lights and a hydro flood and drain system. i am looking to start up with cuttings but doing some research there has been some misleading articles and videos so can someone please clarify the question for me. much appreciated :)

Q: Can i stick my cuttings directly into the F & Dfor them to start rooting and if so use my 600W gavitas as a source for light or am i going about this all wrong

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Bump!

In my opinion that lighting is far too strong for unrooted cuttings. New cuttings have two places to "spend" energy--growing leaves, or growing roots. If you give them strong light, they'll try to photosynthesize and this delays rooting.

I've never tried to root cuttings directly in situ, so can't speak to that.

P

p0is04

thanks for the reply, so what do you recommend for the lighting as i have send some people using fluorescent lights

Trich king

Trich king

I found the $10 shop lights from walmart or anywhere work well just run a set of warm bulbs & a set of cool

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can do the above, either way. Just don't use too much light. If you see the cuttings trying to grow leaves before they've grown roots, you know you're using too much light. :)

Ambre

Ambre

I have rooted cuttings directly in an E&F system with good success (using perlite as a medium, flooding for 5 mins every 1-1/2 hours). The only system I've had better success with is a bubbler cloner. Low light is key, though, no matter what system you use. The first time I used an E&F system to root was when I wanted to sex some new plants I had started from seeds. I put the cuts in to root at the bottom of my flowering garden on the same res used for the flowering plants (since you need higher P for flowering the same as rooting). The plant canopy above reduced the amount of light reaching the clones. On 12/12 lighting, the clones started flowering as soon as they started growing roots.

Top Bottom