Cycle Three: Sour Jack

• Thread starter Renseller
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Renseller

Renseller

Howdy farmers,

Welcome to my Sour Jack (Sour Diesel x Jack Herer) grow. :)

I will be labeling my future runs/journals as "cycles," for organizational purposes.

My first grow (White Berry) can be viewed here, if at all interested:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/my-first-grow-nft-with-leds.69869/#post-1394564

As well as my second (Fruity Chronic Juice):
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/new-room-new-medium-new-strain.72271/page-3#post-1477543

And so begins the third...

This strain here was a single seed freebie by G13 Labs. It was popped over a year ago, but had not made it to the flowering room until just this week. We (my SO and I) couldn't decide on whether to keep it going or to cull it out, since it gave off such a heavy stench but grew so meekly. After a tremendous growth spurt from a transplant, we were convinced that 16 Sour Jack clones had to see the their day in flower. By the looks of her vigor, bushiness, aroma, brix, and pink stripes, this might get interesting...

The growing equipment and materials are as follows:
  • Two 4x4 GeoPlanters
  • 4 bales of Botanicare coco coir
  • 4 bales of Roots Organics coco chips
  • 1 bale of Pro-Mix BX
  • two 480W Stealth Grow LED fixtures
  • one 590W BD700-U LED fixture
  • 2 oscillating fans
  • De-humidifier
  • Air conditioner
The nutrient line of choice is Jack's Professional, along with Jack's CalNit, and CALiMAGic when needed.

I used this exact setup last run. I hope to hone my skills further in this system, with the addition of compost teas and various foliar sprays. :)

The plant stems and major root balls were removed, and the medium was tossed after drying out for 25-30 some odd days. The pots were strategically placed, holes were created, mycorrhizae was sprinkled, and the girls were patted in.

The expansion of what used to be a 16x8 room is still in progress. We hope to fit another table...or two, so please excuse the mess. ;)

Cycle three sour jack 2
Cycle three sour jack 3
Cycle three sour jack
Cycle three sour jack 4
Cycle three sour jack 5

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you next week. :)

Namaste,
Ren

Last edited:
Orcaman

Orcaman

I love your set up and lighting my friend. One of my first seed purchases was purple lady by G13. One of the five seeds produced an exceptional plant that I miss to this day. Good quality fem seeds in my opinion!:)

Cheers

Renseller

Renseller

I love your set up and lighting my friend. One of my first seed purchases was purple lady by G13. One of the five seeds produced an exceptional plant that I miss to this day. Good quality fem seeds in my opinion!:)

Cheers

Thank you Orcaman! Purple Lady sounds delightful...hope my Sour Jack is on the same level! I'm excited to see what G13 has in store. :)

Many Blessings

Renseller

Renseller

Day 20:

DSC0495
 DSC0502
 DSC0512
 DSC0506
 DSC0501

IMG 1316

They did quite a bit of stretching! G was kind enough to take care of them for me while I've been away for the week, hopping about the Northeast and Colorado. Perhaps this spot is familiar to some of you (above).
The scenery was truly breathtaking all over CO and it pained me to leave!

But oh how I missed seeing the girls grow. :shy:

They have been receiving 1000 ppm of Jacks Pro and Jacks Calnit, along with an added 200 ppm of CAliMAGic.
We are trying to avoid dampening the entirety of the media since the fungus gnats are still present...we've only been watering at the base of each plant.
The temps have been around 75 - 80 F, RH has been at 60% until the dehumidifier failed just recently. It's hitting 68% currently, which will be an issue later on. We'll have to get that sorted...

Until next time,
Happy Farming All! :)

Renseller

Renseller

Day 39 (taken a few days ago, my apologies for the tardiness):

DSC0543
 DSC0545
 DSC0528
 DSC0518

With the newly added fans and upgraded air conditioner, canopy temperature is currently 85 F, and RH at 51%.

The Jacks Professional/CalNit has been swapped out for Jacks Blossom Booster 10-30-20, MgSO4 will also be added in small amounts. I will be throwing some plain water feedings into their schedule to avoid overfeeding and reduce salt buildup.

So far I'm picking up pungent fruity/sweet/sour smells from these girls, and they have an intense stickiness. Needless to say, my enthusiasm is increasing daily. :happy:

A big shout out to G who fed, majorly defoliated, and cared for my side of the room while I was down south! I am incredibly grateful, as always.

Ciao farmers!
"May Your Harvests Be Bountiful"

Orcaman

Orcaman

You are really mastering your set up. Those girls are gorgeous.:) How many more day are you looking at for this strain?

Renseller

Renseller

You are really mastering your set up. Those girls are gorgeous.:) How many more day are you looking at for this strain?

Hey Orca! Thanks man. To be honest there's not much info on this strain, so I can't say for sure. From the little I've read, it's an estimated 9 - 10 weeker. This strain appears monumentally sativa, so I'd say at least 9 weeks. Although I've been witnessing some hairs turn orange since their 5th week, and they're just into their 7th. Guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Orcaman

Orcaman

Renseller, I was wondering what the color ratio is on your led's. Starting to look at led lighting for a future set up. Here is a light that I'M very interested in and wanted your opinion.

LED-Grow-Light-Garden-Light-LED-Plant-Light.jpg

• LED-Grow-Light-Garden-Light-LED-Plant-Light.jpg
Enlarge Image
Price:US $330.0 / Piece Get Latest Price
Min. Order (Pieces) Unit Price
1.0 US $ 330/ Piece


Product Details
Basic Info.
Model NO.:pF-3X-864W
Life:50,000h
IP Rating:IP44
Application:Fruit and Vegetable, Flowers, Special Crops, Leafy, Fruit, Seedling, Tree
Emitting Color:Red and Blue and White
LED Chips:Bridgelux
Housing Material:Aluminum
Warranty:2 Years
Power:864W
Shape:Square
Input Voltage:AC90-264V
Certification:CE, RoHS, CCC, FCC, SAA
LED Type:Bridglux/CREE/Epistar/Osram
Product Dimension(Mm):638*268*80
Color Ratio:R:R:B:W=144:72:48:24
Power Type:Aluminum Constant-Current Power Supply
Export Markets:Global

Renseller

Renseller

Renseller, I was wondering what the color ratio is on your led's. Starting to look at led lighting for a future set up. Here is a light that I'M very interested in and wanted your opinion.

Enlarge Image
Price:US $330.0 / Piece Get Latest Price
Min. Order (Pieces) Unit Price
1.0 US $ 330/ Piece


Product Details
Basic Info.

Model NO.:pF-3X-864W
Life:50,000h
IP Rating:IP44
Application:Fruit and Vegetable, Flowers, Special Crops, Leafy, Fruit, Seedling, Tree
Emitting Color:Red and Blue and White
LED Chips:Bridgelux
Housing Material:Aluminum
Warranty:2 Years
Power:864W
Shape:Square
Input Voltage:AC90-264V
Certification:CE, RoHS, CCC, FCC, SAA
LED Type:Bridglux/CREE/Epistar/Osram
Product Dimension(Mm):638*268*80
Color Ratio:R:R:B:W=144:72:48:24
Power Type:Aluminum Constant-Current Power Supply
Export Markets:Global

Orca, did you choose the light above for its color ratio? I unfortunately can't remember what my BlackDog is, and I can't find that info online. The other two LEDs are from StealthGrow, and that company is not producing them anymore so that info is lost too.

Although this LED is reasonably priced, be cautious when buying from Chinese manufacturers, as their fixtures are typically made of lower quality materials than the ones produced here in the US. IMO, if you're already investing money into an LED, might as well get more bang for your buck with a US brand that is known for its high quality and performance.

These sites can be helpful:
http://advancedledlights.com
http://www.dormgrow.com

I know they can be expensive...but I believe you can find one within your price range. I've heard great things about the Cali Lightworks fixtures, and I believe there's one that's 400w for $450. I find this reasonable, considering how energy efficient it is and the stellar results you can get.

Hope I was somewhat helpful. :) If you have more questions, feel free to ask!

Orcaman

Orcaman

Thanks for the advise Renseller, I want to tell you don't be afraid to by direct from china. You can save a lot of money and eliminate all the middle men. Even the lights from here are all Chinese components assembled here in their own housing. Most of the American led lights I have looked into only come with a 9o day warranty. This light has two years They show a total breakdown of components compared to most of the cheap lights from china. Most of the cheaper lights are also housed in plastic. I know a couple of forum growers that have bought direct and love their lights, saving hundreds of dollars. I used to have remote control helicopters and direct from china was the only way to go for price and great service. Time and shipping are the only set back. I like this light for its wattage, and want a bloom only color ratio. Plus 864 watts for $300.00 plus shipping. A $1.00 a watt for led is highway robbery!

Always a pleasure, Orca

Last edited:
GanjaGod

GanjaGod

Thanks for the advise Renseller, I want to tell you don't be afraid to by direct from china. You can save a lot of money and eliminate all the middle men. Even the lights from here are all Chinese components assembled here in their own housing. Most of the American led lights I have looked into only come with a 9o day warranty. This light has two years They show a total breakdown of components compared to most of the cheap lights from china. Most of the cheaper lights are also housed in plastic. I know a couple of forum growers that have bought direct and love their lights, saving hundreds of dollars. I used to have remote control helicopters and direct from china was the only way to go for price and great service. Time and shipping are the only set back. I like this light for its wattage, and want a bloom only color ratio. Plus 864 watts for $300.00 plus shipping. A $1.00 a watt for led is highway robbery!

Always a pleasure, Orca

You're correct Orcaman that you can save money by eliminating the middle men however, just be weary of certain "warranties" -as it could take weeks before you receive your replacement fixture. I've known growers who've bought cheap LED lights from Alibaba and were severely affected when drivers, diodes, and fans became problematic. If your drivers fail and you have to ship back for warranty repair, your crop may suffer if you don't have a backup light so keep this in mind. It can take up to 2 weeks for your LED fixture to arrive back in China, which btw costs a bit because these lights are heavy as hell, which then the manufacture will ship you back a "refurbished" unit that they recently replaced the brushless cooling fans on. It can be a never ending cycle of repairs and faulty components that may leave you frustrated enough to just abandon the light rather than hassle it through a 2 year warranty. Just be weary is all and do your research because the cheapest option is not necessarily always the best one.

I would also invite you to reference this site: http://www.compareledgrowlights.com/ to aide you in your search!

Best of luck and keep us posted on your choice
-GG

Orcaman

Orcaman

Thanks for the great input and link GanjaGod, A great point you brought up about the cooling fans. Here is a little more about the light I'm looking at. I'm not looking for the cheapest just a fair price.

GanjaGod

GanjaGod

Well hey man. If you end up getting this light and it rocks your garden.. please let the rest of us know!! I'd be interested in picking up 3 or 4.. or maybe 1o of them at that price!

-GG

Renseller

Renseller

Always a pleasure, Orca

Good points Orca. Like @GanjaGod said, if you've done your research and other growers can vouch...let us know how the light works for you! I'm interested, especially if it's more economical. :)

Good resource too, GG!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, fellas.

Renseller

Renseller

Day 54 Update:

DSC0500
 DSC0522
 DSC0531
 DSC0532
 DSC0519

DSC0535

So far these Sour Jacks are giving off impressive aromas. Very fruity/citrus with hints of tang, almost "sweet cheese" like...I keep going to danishes. Which could be dangerous, they are especially irresistible to me. I used to have Entenmann binges...Shh, that's our little secret. :)

Anyway, these girls have been happy. G did some major defoliating while I was away, and only left the thicker stems that now hold larger colas. We wanted to avoid dealing with larf as much as possible, so all small shoots and buds have been pinched and plucked out.

They've been eating 1.6 EC of Jack's Blossom Booster for the past 15 days (with MgSO4). I've thrown in plain water feedings as well. I'll now be dropping the ppms until flush week, which doesn't look too far off. :D The trichs are clouding up!

G also micro fogged a solution of fulvic and Aptus FaSilitor, and I threw in a quart of GH BioWeed (0.2-0-0.3) into one of their feedings.

The last two images are some Peruvian peppers that are slowly coming along. The seeds were gifted to me months ago and soon they'll be producing some interesting fruits. I've never had yellow Aji or black Rocoto peppers, has anyone else? All I know is that they're hot. Very hot.

As always, thanks for stopping by. Hope everyone is enjoying summer. I definitely am. :)
Ren

bangbang

bangbang

nice clean grow. thanks for the info. Are you using the. Jack's Pro 5-12- 26
Thanks

Top Bottom