D.i.y. Cxb-3590 Cob Panel Vs. Hps

• Thread starter HughJassBud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C21H26O2

C21H26O2

What are some other resources where I can read up and study on COB / LED details some more?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I finally sat down and started getting things situated for my upcoming projects. Seeing as I had some time I did some reading, including the stuff you posted there. Very good information, especially the part about the passive cooling vs active cooling with regards to overall efficiency and initial investment. Just by luck I guess, the heat sinks I ordered will hopefully be capable of completely passive cooling provided the ambient temperature is not too hot.

Speaking of heat sinks, they are the missing piece right now. I was given a tracking number today that says they will arrive by the 28th though, so I am looking forward to getting started. I just flipped the lights to 12-12 on my first 2x4 flood & drain grow. Half the White and half Watussi.

Day 1 - May 25 - First transplanted These were admittedly shitty, unhealthy clones.
View attachment 610972

Roughly 4 weeks of veg under 1000watts..... June 19th
View attachment 610975
View attachment 610976

I'll get some more pics tomorrow to show how they've stretched. I flipped the lights the day after I took these. SO far I am pretty happy though. The plants look healthy and everything has been smooth with minimal stress aside from some weird leaf twisting here and there and a little bit of light stress on the taller plants (watussi)

I also have some plants vegging under a t5 now, most likely a mixed batch for the next tray in rotation. I'll be starting with a 2x4 tray every 2 weeks. I would like to step that up to every 11-12 days if possible. Anyhow, here is the veg tray.....
View attachment 610979

If you guys are interested, I can post a DIY thread on making the frames and general setup for these tables as well. It's not very difficult and only requires a handheld pipe cutting tool, 3/4" PVC, and some fittings. That may already be well covered elsewhere though....

Oh, P.S. I did break my hip, but only just a little on the tip so there is basically nothing to be done for it. Also, I have a large hematoma(sp) which makes sleeping difficult. However, it will all heal and I'll be back to normal soon enough. Sorry for the long absence.
Good to hear your ok man. Was wondering what happened. Damn man good thing the hip was minimal. Could have been a real bummer with a major break. Good healing karma for you.

HughJassBud

HughJassBud

Good to hear your ok man. Was wondering what happened. Damn man good thing the hip was minimal. Could have been a real bummer with a major break. Good healing karma for you.

Thanks for the good vibez. All is good, I just got really busy with life. I'll post some pics of recent success etc. The LED lights are killer.....much much brighter than I expected. I've had to adjust several things to make them work like I want. Mostly it's just that these lights are so so bright they will bleach plants that aren't acclimated. Anyhow, more after. Sorry for the long absence. I'll try to get back to this soon with a substantial update.

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

I found this thread because I'm interested in doing a similar conversion. I was thinking 12 COBs per hood. 16 seems a little crowded. Did you have any clearance issues between the heatsinks and the hood on the outer ones?

HughJassBud

HughJassBud

SmartSelectImage 2016 10 15 18 49 38
The bottom right is what happens when you don't correct for clearance. The funny thing is I realised it before I cut the hole, re-marked it, and still cut the hole in the wrong place!

Last edited:
HughJassBud

HughJassBud

Also, 16 is too many if only because even 12 is pretty heavy once you have it all put together. They would fit though, no problem. With smaller heatsinks and running only 35%-40% power, there may be some advantage in terms of efficiency and coverage with 16. It may still be worth trying.

I have 2 of these built now. I may do the third with 16 just because I can....or for science.....whatever works.

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

Nice. Your project is inspiring me. I have a few questions that will help me with my own plans, if you don't mind.

1) Did you do all of that by hand? If so, what tools for making the holes?
2) Aluminum plate or sheet metal? And where could I find the material?
3) Did you have to modify the heat sinks on the outer edges?
4) What heatsinks did you use?

HughJassBud

HughJassBud

I think most of the heatsink design questions are answered earlier in the thread. No, I did not need to modify them, just allow enough room for them to fit.

A 3 inch Milwaukee cup drill is what I used to cut the holes.

Yes, that's aluminum sheet that a local shop sales. It's raw AL on one side and that white coated stuff on the other. Just get whatever the thickest sheet aluminum is you can find cut to size by the metal shop or distributor. They will probably have neumatic cutting tools that make the job easy. I give my guy $20 to cut things to size for me plus the cost of materials. I like the plasticish coating, but that's not really important.

The structural integrity is really a result of anchoring the sheet to the frame of the hood. In my case with screws from the old glass mount.

HughJassBud

HughJassBud

SmartSelectImage 2016 10 15 18 53 54

Here is a pic I found of the one pictured previously before I fucked up. I made a stencil using a piece of paper and marked the holes for the screws based on the centers I marked where the lines cross. Since then, I always drill a small pilot hole exactly in the center before marking the other screw locations. This will improve your accuracy a great deal.

MidniteGardener

MidniteGardener

Thanks! This helps a ton. And I found the heatsink specs on the 1st page. Is there a max or min thickness I should get the aluminum sheet? I just don't wanna end up with a half inch thick plate, haha.

HughJassBud

HughJassBud

Thanks! This helps a ton. And I found the heatsink specs on the 1st page. Is there a max or min thickness I should get the aluminum sheet? I just don't wanna end up with a half inch thick plate, haha.

I'll try to look that up when I get home. I would just avoid plate....that would be overkill and expensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom