D.I. Y. LED lights???

• Thread starter mrsgreenthumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrsgreenthumb

My dad and I have been bouncing around the idea of building our own LED panels. We have been doing our reasearch as to what wavelengths and Nm and what color spectrum and what not but my question is do you think it is do-able? My dad is the one who is knows about the electical stuff. If its not askin too much can someone dumb it down for me

Has anyone built their own panels and have you had much luck with em? And on a side note does anyone have any picks of how well they did in the flowering stage? I have seen some good veg pics but not many flowering

Thank you guys at the farm for all your help

U

universalhat

I've seen at least one person state that they made a DIY panel... From what I've been seeing around the intertubes, there are four really important frequency ranges to pay attention to, to hit the peak absorption rate for the peaks of chlorophylls A and B.
Copied from someplace I don't remember: "Chlorophyll a absorbs most strongly
in the 400-440 and 660-680 while b absorbs best around 450 (pretty steep
narrow peak trailing off quickly to either side)."

A lot of panel producers seem to be under the impression that a whole mess of spectra beats a lot of intensity in three or four. I know that 'carotenoids' also play a role in photosynthesis, but honestly all the research I've done is looking around on the googles.

...I suppose the jist of my response could be communicated as "hey, I'm interested in that too!" :P

M

mrsgreenthumb

my main reason to wanting to build them myself is the cost!!! These things are so dam expensive so I was just hoping that I could put my creativity to the test and see what we can come up with. Im not really finding any stores that are local that I can go look for the right type of leds at. Looks like I might have to make a trip to So Cal or order online. Im very leery of online ordering tho.
But I have been lookin at Irishboys grow threads and it looks to me like it might be worth the initial investment. Dam he has some purdy stuff!!!!
I for sure think that LED are the future of growing just gotta figure out how to get my foot in that door

U

universalhat

I feel ya, I'm in the same boat myself - "Direly interested 'cause of peoples' results, but leery of the startup costs".
From what I've been reading from various LED suppliers and the devices needed to support powering the huge number of LEDs you'll need, I don't think it would be much cheaper to build your own units unless you're planning a singularly massive grow. High-tech shit going on here...

But there might be an opportunity here for collaborative research - I've been looking at a Penetrator 63W myself, planning to run a small-scale grow once I move into a new house with new roommates who aren't, how you say, narcs. :P

Have you found yourself drifting towards any brand or another? I've heard good things about Blackstar on this site too, but beyond them and Hydro Grow LED I haven't come across too many "trustworthy-looking" sources. Who knew this would involve so much research?

Z

Zombee

It will cost just as much, if not more to duplicate the efforts of the Chinese companies. You will NOT save money on a DIY project, trust me.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
I've heard good things about Blackstar on this site too, but beyond them and Hydro Grow LED I haven't come across too many "trustworthy-looking" sources.

just to clarify . . .

BEWARE of Hydro Grow LED:

M

mrsgreenthumb

I have really been lookin at Irishboy s stuff it looks amazing and its all LED grown. Me personally have been so caught up with tryin to figure out how do build it myself that I have not really been comparing products. I guess I got a little tunnel vision lol time for me to take a step back and look more closely at what is out there and the price and results and what not. Im a leary because they all "promise" great results and there are a bunch of scams and dishonest people just tryin to sell a product. But that is why we reasearch stuff hu? Ill get back to yall and see what I find and you can give me your input. Dam I love this farm : )

M

mrsgreenthumb

Ok so I was checkin out some of the things that Slips had put up thanks btw and I got a little confused what is the best angle or degree to look at? And are there different wattage??? I have a bunch of notes somewhere on all this stuff I have been finding out but cant seem to find em..... anyways ... Im willing to be schooled if someone is willing to teach

Top Bottom