Daisy chain virgin...go easy on me

• Thread starter Shaded_One
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
steamroller

steamroller

My understanding is if any of the lights in the chain have different wattages it is possible for lights not to power up or shut down equally.
Most important was the statement I read saying some lights may not shut off specifically the lower wattage light.

Can you daisy chain different light brands?​

renderTimingPixel.png

I have 16 1000w gavitas de, 8 1000w nanolux de lights and 8 next light mega led. They are all 120/240v can i link them together with out any problems?

https://www.reddit.com/user/whowhatnowhow/

What do you mean by daisy chain? Daisy chain dimmability? Just on/off powering? Via their own controllers?
If they all have rj45 port(s) that are the same 0-10V standard (sometimes they're 1-10V), then, yes.
But sometimes the controllers are different for power on/off. They can be in the same controller (ideal - if they all have the same standard, yhen, yes to your question) or sometimes they need power switched separately, often, which would be the same for all, as the lowest controller setting would not be conpletely off and you'd see some light from the LEDs. Not enough to affect the plants, likely, but energy wasteage and not ideal, maybe some plant would be affected.
And if not exposed via the srandard in rj45 port or already with power plug daisy chaining ability, you'd need to wire that into the controller (I imagine voiding the warranty).
So likely not, but there is a slim possibility, if all are rj45 0-10V that also allows for powering off via that control.

🤷‍♂️
I know common sense I would not try to daisy chain my FC8000 with my TSL 2000's even though they are all Mars Hydros.. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe part of my OCD??

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

My understanding is if any of the lights in the chain have different wattages it is possible for lights not to power up or shut down equally.
Most important was the statement I read saying some lights may not shut off specifically the lower wattage light.

Can you daisy chain different light brands?​

renderTimingPixel.png

I have 16 1000w gavitas de, 8 1000w nanolux de lights and 8 next light mega led. They are all 120/240v can i link them together with out any problems?

https://www.reddit.com/user/whowhatnowhow/

What do you mean by daisy chain? Daisy chain dimmability? Just on/off powering? Via their own controllers?
If they all have rj45 port(s) that are the same 0-10V standard (sometimes they're 1-10V), then, yes.
But sometimes the controllers are different for power on/off. They can be in the same controller (ideal - if they all have the same standard, yhen, yes to your question) or sometimes they need power switched separately, often, which would be the same for all, as the lowest controller setting would not be conpletely off and you'd see some light from the LEDs. Not enough to affect the plants, likely, but energy wasteage and not ideal, maybe some plant would be affected.
And if not exposed via the srandard in rj45 port or already with power plug daisy chaining ability, you'd need to wire that into the controller (I imagine voiding the warranty).
So likely not, but there is a slim possibility, if all are rj45 0-10V that also allows for powering off via that control.

🤷‍♂️
I know common sense I would not try to daisy chain my FC8000 with my TSL 2000's even though they are all Mars Hydros.. 🤷‍♂️
Maybe part of my OCD??

sounds like a lot more hassle than it's worth unless you're running a facility with 10s 20s hundreds of the same model of LED.

Thanks guys

ninjadip

ninjadip

Why not just put a surge strip on one timer? Just make sure the power strip can support the wattage and you should be good.
What's better is the surge strip with a timer. That's what I use. It has four outlets for the timer and four that are always on. I wouldn't plug a surge strip into a timer myself, it's not good electrical safety.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Do you have a controller as well? Or just 1 light connected to power, and then the other light getting power via the RJ11 from the daisy chain?

I'm not sure how the SpiderFarmer lights operate but I can tell you how I've got my 2 Grower's Choice ROI-E720's set up.

I've got them both plugged into their own power source. I have the Grower's Choice Master Light Controller daisy-chained to the lights using the RJ11 cable. The lights are set to auxillary on the switch and the controller powers the lights. I'm using 3 way splitters for the daisy chain.

Edit: That configuration is on channel 1. On channel 2 I have my UV-IR bars.

I believe you would have to run unlike lights on different channels, but I could be wrong about that.

Last edited:
G

Ganjaben7

I was having the same problem. I am only trying to connect two sf 1000’s. I thought I could connect them and only use one timer but I’ve tried all different ways with no luck. Thing is…I can manually turn on/off the master and they both turn on/off. When the timer turns on/off, only the master works. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It doesn’t make sense. I gave up also.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I was having the same problem. I am only trying to connect two sf 1000’s. I thought I could connect them and only use one timer but I’ve tried all different ways with no luck. Thing is…I can manually turn on/off the master and they both turn on/off. When the timer turns on/off, only the master works. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It doesn’t make sense. I gave up also.
It should be very easy for two of the same boards.

Both must have power, you still have to power both with two plugs, but put the slave light plug in a normal plug and the master light in the timer plug. Then connect the boards with the RJ cable. Turn the one plugged into the timer as master and the other slave.

That's it.

G

Ganjaben7

It should be very easy for two of the same boards.

Both must have power, you still have to power both with two plugs, but put the slave light plug in a normal plug and the master light in the timer plug. Then connect the boards with the RJ cable. Turn the one plugged into the timer as master and the other slave.

That's it.
That sounds like what I’ve been doing but for some reason it’s not turning off the slave light. I have the master in the timer and the slave in a regular outlet. I have the RJ going from ch2 on the master to ch1 on the slave. I can manually turn off the master and the slave turns off but when the timer turns off the master the slave stays on. It’s baffling.

ninjadip

ninjadip

That sounds like what I’ve been doing but for some reason it’s not turning off the slave light. I have the master in the timer and the slave in a regular outlet. I have the RJ going from ch2 on the master to ch1 on the slave. I can manually turn off the master and the slave turns off but when the timer turns off the master the slave stays on. It’s baffling.
Yeah maybe you still need them both on the timer plug?
I might be the only one that doesn't use a one plug timer so idk, I use a timer power strip.

Screenshot 20230329 151944
G

Ganjaben7

Yeah maybe you still need them both on the timer plug?
I might be the only one that doesn't use a one plug timer so idk, I use a timer power strip.
Oh wow! I didn’t know that existed. I’m going shopping. Thank you! 😄

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I don't like to have a timer that loses its settings when the power goes out. So, I use Alexa smart plugs. I also have a wattage meter on my lights so I can have specific, quantifiable control of the power. The more I use the AC Infinity controller, the more I like it. The learning curve is steep, though, and my controller had some bugs till they published an upgrade. I don't run my lights from it because I can't think of a reason to do so.

This, by the way, caught my eye recently...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don't like to have a timer that loses its settings when the power goes out. So, I use Alexa smart plugs. I also have a wattage meter on my lights so I can have specific, quantifiable control of the power. The more I use the AC Infinity controller, the more I like it. The learning curve is steep, though, and my controller had some bugs till they published an upgrade. I don't run my lights from it because I can't think of a reason to do so.

This, by the way, caught my eye recently...

View attachment 1345705

I've been running my light through my AC Infinity controller. It's a bit buggy. It turns itself off at random intervals. I'm likely to return to using a smart plug for the lighting. The idea of only using 1 phone app was the appeal to add the light to the controller but since its not working as expected I'll be changing it very soon. (No plants, just testing the controller at this point.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom