Damping Off, or just lazy plants?

• Thread starter Smokey.Bones
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

I started a bunch of seedlings 6 weeks ago in Rapid Root plugs under a humidity dome because I'm used to cloning. They started life very leggy and laying over. After a few weeks I lost a few to damping off. The rest of the plants seemed fine, but some of them were still not standing up on their own. I proped them up and they continued to grow well, but are still floppy. They're about 18" and continuing to grow well. Is it possible they have a mild case of damping off? Did they catch whatever it was late in life and are going to be ok? Or are they doomed and just taking their sweet time to die off? Any thoughts? Anyone have any experience with this? They have roots growing out of the bottom of the pot I'm about to either plant them in the ground or scrap them and try and plant some autoflowers and hope they finish before the end of the season. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I started a bunch of seedlings 6 weeks ago in Rapid Root plugs under a humidity dome because I'm used to cloning. They started life very leggy and laying over. After a few weeks I lost a few to damping off. The rest of the plants seemed fine, but some of them were still not standing up on their own. I proped them up and they continued to grow well, but are still floppy. They're about 18" and continuing to grow well. Is it possible they have a mild case of damping off? Did they catch whatever it was late in life and are going to be ok? Or are they doomed and just taking their sweet time to die off? Any thoughts? Anyone have any experience with this? They have roots growing out of the bottom of the pot I'm about to either plant them in the ground or scrap them and try and plant some autoflowers and hope they finish before the end of the season. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.
Do you Have some pictures so we can see what you’re working with?

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

IMG 20230709 212259414
IMG 20230709 212328364 HDR
IMG 20230709 212403389
IMG 20230709 212456471 HDR
IMG 20230709 212432068 HDR

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

Ok, Here we have one flaccid autoflower, a close-up of its base, one that started with the same issue and recovered, and one that didn't make it. Also a pic of the conditions. The humidity was higher for the first 3 weeks, in the 75-85% percent range. The more centered under the lights the plants were, the better their recovery.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Gotta let them dry back all the way, get a fan blowing on them if you can, indirectly if you have to, just get the air moving. Bring your light up to around 18-20 inches above too so they want to reach for the light.

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

Yeah, I agree with the 'too wet' assesment. The thing is, I barely watered them. I saturated the soil when I put the plugs in, and then only watered them lightly once more in the six weeks. I think the high humidity was an issue. It's been crazy rainy this year and I had to upgrade my dehumidifier.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Yeah, I agree with the 'too wet' assesment. The thing is, I barely watered them. I saturated the soil when I put the plugs in, and then only watered them lightly once more in the six weeks. I think the high humidity was an issue. It's been crazy rainy this year and I had to upgrade my dehumidifier.
Is the pot still heavy with water weight? When was the last time you watered?

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

Thanks for the advice Cap'n. I think it was at 3 weeks that I watered them for the first time (about 3 oz). I watered some of them lightly today (6 weeks 5 days), as the pots were dry and light and one plant had started to droop slightly. I should mention that these are not the best examples. I moved the tallest ones out to the greenhouse today and its pouring rain, of course. I'll try and get some pictures of those in the morning. I didn't really want to move them out, but it was a matter of weighing the risks. They need re-potted, so I wanted to start hardening them off and to move the smaller and more flaccid plants directly under the lights. I had moved the lights up and added another fan in week 4 and let them dry out, and the ones under the lights responded really well, so you are spot on with your advice. The ones on the margins didn't do so well. I guess my question is what to do with the ones that were in between and kept growing but never stood up. I could prop them up and hope for the best, or try and start new ones. I'm working with a cap on how many plants I can grow. I just got my commercial license and its a lot of plants to manage as I transition from personal grower to a field, so they aren't getting the individual love I usually give my plants. I'm in the bind of needing a good harvest to fund the space and equipment I need for a good harvest.

I hope this makes sense. Its been a long day and I got pretty medicated after my initial post. I didn't expect replies so soon. I'm trying to fix my computer and that forum hasn't gotten back to me all day. So much for pot heads being lazy. I appreciate you brother. (or sister)

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

I'm not sure if you can see it in the picture, but the plant is firm above the cotyledon leaves and has started to grow upwards at the end. That's the case with all the ones laying down. Or lying down. I can't remember which one is which right now.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
never give up! I would just get a stake, and tie it up in 2 spots to get it straight, 1 higher up and one lower, then get a fan on it, after a couple few days, the breeze from the fan should have started to help strengthen up the main stalk, so remove the top tie first, let the top half blow in the wind a few days to strengthen the stalk further, and repeat that process and remove the bottom tie, that should get your stalk strength to hold itself up again.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
never give up! I would just get a stake, and tie it up in 2 spots to get it straight, 1 higher up and one lower, then get a fan on it, after a couple few days, the breeze from the fan should have started to help strengthen up the main stalk, so remove the top tie first, let the top half blow in the wind a few days to strengthen the stalk further, and repeat that process and remove the bottom tie, that should get your stalk strength to hold itself up again.
But also, besides the wet issue, they want nitrogen from the looks of it, that’s an essential thing in seedling stage homie, that’s contributing to the yellowing.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
But also, besides the wet issue, they want nitrogen from the looks of it, that’s an essential thing in seedling stage homie, that’s contributing to the yellowing.
I’m an old head gentleman good sir, retired asshat, idiot savant hahahaha! FYI btw all that shyit!

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

Sounds like a plan, thanks. I'll give them some nutrients tomorrow and hope they pull through. I'll try and give an update, even though everyone says that and so few do. Thanks again.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Sounds like a plan, thanks. I'll give them some nutrients tomorrow and hope they pull through. I'll try and give an update, even though everyone says that and so few do. Thanks again.
Let ‘em dry back first before feeding them again bro! Make sure the pot is as light as styrofoam, it’ll get that light even before droop!

Smokey.Bones

Smokey.Bones

Hey, just wanted to let you all know how things turned out. I think the advice on here was spot on. I had 35 of the 40 droopy plants bounce back and they are all happily growing outside with their friends. The other 5 had virtually no root system and died, but it was worth it to keep trying. The survivors are only slightly behind the ones that didn't have these issues. In fact, the one that looked the worst and had serious damping off actually survived, with some extra babying and attention. I mean, this thing's base looked like a thread. It's now thriving. Thanks everyone for the sound advice.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Great news homie! Way to be! 👊🏻

Top Bottom