Dark tint on hps bulbs??

• Thread starter gettogro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gettogro

Not sure where to post this problem. Mods can move it if nessasary..

I have 2 7kw flower rooms, and I just finished my second run and I noticed all of the bulbs have a dark tint on the bulbs. Has anyone seen this before. I know they were clear in the beginning. Surely the tint is robbing me of lumens. They are 1000w hps growbright bulbs from HTG supply.
light21.jpg
light.jpg

I emailed them today to see what they think. I know they come with a 1 year warranty hopefully they will cover it.

What do you guys think?

g

G

gettogro

This is off their web sight,

GrowBright 1,000 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) Bulb

GROWBRIGHT 1,000 watt High Pressure Sodium (HPS) HIGH OUTPUT SPECTRALLY ENHANCED LIGHT BULB
150,000 LUMENS!

UNIVERSAL POSITION - operates in any position including horizontal!

One Year Warranty

This is a premium high output spectrally enhanced horticultural bulb for sale and an unbelievably low price. This 1,000 watt High Output HPS bulb emits 150,000 lumens - standard HPS bulbs which emit only 140,000 lumens. Perfect for 1,000 watt HPS grow light systems, this bulb gives you a higher light output which equates into faster / more plant growth and ultimately higher plant yields.

This specialized HPS bulb fits all standard 1,000 watt HPS systems.

Spec: S52 type lamp, Mogul based

COMPARABLE TO HORTILUX, AGROSUN, SUNMASTER Brand bulbs!

About the HPS bulb:
Designed Specifically for PLANT GROWTH
Brighter than Standard HPS lamps
Increased Violet and Blue Lighting Spectrum Engineered to Enhance Natural Plant Growth
Creates a More Correct Balance of Red and Blue/Violet Energy for Increased Photosynthesis
High Output and Adjusted Spectrum Delivers Superior Performance

How long does a H.I.D. bulb last?

High Pressure Sodium bulbs have a rated life of 24,000 hours. One year is 8,760 hours. It is, however, suggested that people using HPS bulbs for growing plants should replace their bulb after about 18 months of use. This ensures your HPS bulb is emitting the maximum amount of light it can before the lamp begins to degrade and emit less light.

I

ibTheMan

them look to be no good no more. thats how they look when there burnt out.(not from b n old)

F

Farmer Jon

Premium Member
Supporter
There toast...only two runs and looking that burnt would suggest a problem with either the bulbs themselves or perhaps the ballasts. At any rate I would look into the cause and be thankful the bulbs didn't cause a fire.
FJ

sky high

sky high

I've seen this with a Lumatek/hortilux combo.....and wondered if it was digital ballast related?

Anyone else see this goin' on?

s h

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've seen this with a Lumatek/hortilux combo.....and wondered if it was digital ballast related?

Anyone else see this goin' on?

s h
Yeah! But I tried to use the Lumatek bulb (600W HPS) with my Quantum ballast. They won't fire up properly in the digi, so they can only be used in the mag coil ballast.

I'll have to look at my other bulbs, but I've seen that after a few runs.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

What is the Hertz rating on the Ballasts that you are using? I think those bulbs are made for 50-60 Hertz Ballasts. You will see that when Hertz ratings do not match from bulb to ballast.
Most bulbs are made to run on 60 Hertz unless you get a SunPulse bulb which runs on a way higher Hertz than other bulbs. The Sunpulse is the only one I know of that runs higher Hertz. I know for a fact Hortilux just put a thing out telling people NOT to use there bulbs in Digital Ballasts. Sorry about this last part or thread jacking.

S

Stoner Smurf

I've had terrible experiences with HTG. Both with their products and with their customer service and returns. After being out $300 for their faulty products I've vowed to avoid them like the plague. I live down the street from them, and even going in in person wouldn't get them to stand behind their shitty equipment.

Edit: I know this doesn't help you. But hopefully someone else will read this and not order from HTG. And maybe it will provide you some consolation that you weren't the only one who got boned by faulty HTG equipment.

G

gettogro

well I emailed them:

Hello, I purchased 14 of your 1000w hps cool tube light setups. I have used them for 2 grow cycles, and now they all have a black metallic tint on the bulbs. They still work, but im sure the black tint is robbing me of precious lumens. Have you seen this before? I have them split up into 2 rooms of 7kw each. The other room will be finnished in 2 weeks. Do they need to be replaced? I know they come with a 1 year warranty. I made the purchase in July of last year. I have about a week before new plants go into the flower room.
Please advise.

Thank you,

Thier Reply was:

Hello

Thank you for your purchase.

I apologize for this inconvenience! I can replace that lamp(bulb) for you; I'll however require that the defective lamp be sent back before I can send a new one. Please send your defective item and a copy of your receipt/packing list or contact info (ie. name and address) and RMA# too:

HTG Supply
20232 Rt. 19, Unit 6
Cranberry Twp. Pa. 16066

Once I receive the defective item, I will replace it immediately. If you do not have copy of receipt/packing list, please provide shipping name and address, especially if that information has changed.

To help speed things up, we have a couple options that will allow us to send you the replacement BEFORE we get that back.

1- Once you ship that, call us at the number below and provide the tracking number for it and we will send replacement.

2- Call us at our number, 1 866 710 GROW(4769), provide a deposit payment for the retail price of the defective item. No shipping fee is applied because we cover the cost of shipping repaired or replaced items back to the customer, and we will ship the replacement immediately. Once we either receive the defective item, or are provided with the tracking number, we will then refund that whole deposit payment.

Thanks again and have a nice day,
Perry
Shipping managers
www.htgsupply.com

I sent the bulbs back yesterday. Seems like they are standing behind thier products to me. Ill let you know how it turns out.

I have been reading on other sights and seems people are having the same issue with premature bulb burnout with higher frequency with digital ballasts. The bulbs I have come with a 1 year warranty so I figure Ill get them all replaced once and then upgrade to a more digital friendly bulb.

Thanks for the info and replies

g

G

gettogro

HTG is ok with me, They sent me 6 new bulbs, Im back in business

KAL EL

KAL EL

I had a 1000watt digi burn out on me after the warranty expired. HTG said send it in anyway, they sent me a new one. They have had my business ever since.

C

Chris1

I've never had a problem with HTG supply...fast shipping and good prices

R

ReDLuBE

had the tint problem this cycle, lumatek 600's and plantmax bulbs. one of the plant max's had the tint, then didnt fire anymore. none of the others are doing it, yet...

R

RMCG

+1 for HTG.

Nothing but good things to say about online or instore experiences.

Top Bottom