Day 70... Smells Like Lawn Grass..

• Thread starter geori
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geori

geori

Hey guys..

Day 70, two auto plants growing.

Trics are still clear for the most part.. Some are cloudy, and a very few are showing a bit of amber..

Decided to snip a little chunk from each to see how things are going..

One plant, got a good buzz right away.. Although there is not any smell at all after drying..

Second plant smelled like lawn grass after drying. The buzz kind a crept up on us, but was a-ok..

My question is, best guess maybe a week or two left before flushing.. Will the next week or two make a big difference in developing into having a nice smell when dried ?

Should I be concerned that one smells like lawn grass, and the other has no smell at all at day 70 ??

soserthc1

soserthc1

Not all plants carry smell (terpene profiles) some are just genetically bad plants but its also could be a poor environment. Usually quick dried weed will taste like hay ( cloraphil) spelling butchered :( but if there is little to no smell chances are your not gonna be super happy after its harvested especially on day 70

geori

geori

Not all plants carry smell (terpene profiles) some are just genetically bad plants but its also could be a poor environment. Usually quick dried weed will taste like hay ( cloraphil) spelling butchered :( but if there is little to no smell chances are your not gonna be super happy after its harvested especially on day 70

So maybe it was just because I quick dried the two samples, and when I properly cure they may end up with a good smell ?

Calixylon

Calixylon

All bud will taste like hay when there dried fast, after you flush just make sure they get the attention they deserve when you dry. Dry trimming always helps me get a better smell, it just naturally lets the plants dry slower, letting more borophyll breakdown and giving ya a tastier smoke.

soserthc1

soserthc1

But if there is no smell at all on day 70 I wouldnt be looking for the miracle cure per say

420circuit

420circuit

Put into a mason jar for a couple days after dry, then burp the jar every day o r so, maybe an hour or so, the jars really help with aroma.

Junk

Junk

I'm confused as to the day counting...is that 70 days from the flip? Or 70 from when the plants transition into full flower...people seem to count it differently so I'm wondering what the standard is (if there is one).

I've always counted from the transition. E.g. I have a tangerine dream that is two weeks in. 14 days to me, but 24 from the flip...so what does the 70 days apply to?

I harvest by numerous other factors anyway, but want to know how people are counting...

Quagmire

Quagmire

Well I think Junk missed he was speaking of an Auto Flowering plant which does not need to be flipped.. they will flower no matter the light cycle usually around day 15+ they show sex and start flowering.. I've been running an AK47 x Sour60 Auto I just took down right at day 70, but honestly she could of gone another week. But meds are for wife and she doesn't like couch lock smoke so much.
What strain you running?? What light cycle you have them on ?? Dirt or Hydro ??
How much Sativa does your pheno. have in her ?? What nutes do you use ?? Have you flushed her yet ??
The more patient you can be at this point the better off you'll be.. although she should be putting off some type of aroma. Even if you take off a smaller leaf and pinch it, no aroma.. not good. I have to agree you may not get the stellar smoke your after on this run, but don't let that discourage you from Auto Flowering strains.. I'm running 6 plants in 3gal pots in Roots Organic soil (THE BOMB) and their Buddha line of foods.. I only fed twice entire grow too, then smacked them in the face day #55 with Up rising Bloom & HPK2..
Don't give up and stop cutting her, your just wasting what bud your gonna get in the end.
When you take her down in the next, oh 10 days, she should stink a bit first few days after the chop which is typical.. check out some better seeds next time maybe..

Here is my BubbleguN at day 70 bro..
IMG 0165
IMG 0303

soserthc1

soserthc1

@Quagmire do you use the roots organic uprising bloom pictured with the bud above.

@Junk I count day 1 of flower the day after the plants first 12 hr dark period

H

happy b

I'm confused as to the day counting...is that 70 days from the flip? Or 70 from when the plants transition into full flower...people seem to count it differently so I'm wondering what the standard is (if there is one).

I've always counted from the transition. E.g. I have a tangerine dream that is two weeks in. 14 days to me, but 24 from the flip...so what does the 70 days apply to?

I harvest by numerous other factors anyway, but want to know how people are counting...
I and evrry other decent grower i know couts flowering from the min you flip but you dont "flip" an auto.

Junk

Junk

Than I have never had a plant finish, even close, to on time. I just took down several 8 week strains, and one 10 week strain that I flipped 5/12. Mostly cloudy trichs, 10-20%% amber (it differs from plant to plant) but they were all finished on the same day. Yesterday sucked. I hate cut down/trim day. I had to call someone over to help me finish, and I'm not terribly slow. I may switch to dry trim. 8 plants that were vegged out over 8 weeks each is a lot of trimming.

I have one now that is an 8 week, that was flipped 6/23. Not only did I write it down, but I went away that week, and I left my sister instructions for watering and how to scrog that plant. I came back July 1. Checked with the wife, that is indeed the week we went away, that's the day I put it in there. I could go through my pictures and check the dates, but all I'd be doing is verifying something I'm already certain of.

8 weeks is 56 days, it's been 41 (if math is right, it's early for me) the plant is not even close to being done. I would estimate it's just nearing the halfway mark, and that is being liberal.

What could I be doing that is causing this. A few days the tent got into the 90's, but this happens even in winter grows were I'm 75 off, 85 on, all day every day

I've noticed with co2 replenished to 1500 ppm during daylight hours, every single strain I've run since having it (many of them clones so I know what the mother finished at) take at least, at least! 10 days longer than without co2. It makes veg time like lightning (I've tried it) but flower is slower. Over 1k of light in a 4x4.

I haven't run just one strain, ever. It has always been 5-8 different strains. And there has always been a 70 day in there. I wonder if the 70 day plants are putting out some sort of signal, stalling the other plants. And then the co2 stalls that one, thus the reason they all finish around the same time?

I moved the Tangerine Dream plant to see what happens with it.

Right now is the first full hydro run, 2 white widow, 2 tangerine dream, and yes, a 10 week sour diesel. All monster cropped clones, we'll see what happens this time I guess. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I gave a bunch of clones away on 5/19, I can check with him and see how long flowering time was for him.

Junk

Junk

I will add to that, that co2 has increased my yields by about 20%, but in looking at the math, they are taking 16% longer than before co2, if I go with my plant signaling theory.

This happens whether I run co2 from flip to finish, or if I cut it off the last couple weeks. The ones I took down yesterday, had no co2 for the last 6
weeks. Still finished way late.

I also forgot to add, i know Grade A growers who count from the flowers. 1200 sq ft room, growing for over 20 years. The one I talked to said he never finds the date accurate, they want to sell seeds. If he counts from flower instead of flip, it's usually close. And he uses one of those picture scopes (he uses every toy there is, I'm obsessive, but he is a nut).

I don't go by counting anyway, but wanted to know where the majority of people were starting the count from.

Last edited:
Max Frost

Max Frost

No...you absolutely can't go by the breeders dates unless you're using a smaller elite breeder like Bodhi, Mota, ROC, Green Goo Genetics, & a few here at thc bay (among a VERY few others, imo)! For some reason the big "name" breeders can't count...anything except their income!! Lol. Are you using allot of bloom boosters and other over-hyped MJ supplements/products? They can rob your girls of aromas! Best of luck! -Max

Junk

Junk

No...you absolutely can't go by the breeders dates unless you're using a smaller elite breeder like Bodhi, Mota, ROC, Green Goo Genetics, & a few here at thc bay (among a VERY few others, imo)! For some reason the big "name" breeders can't count...anything except their income!! Lol. Are you using allot of bloom boosters and other over-hyped MJ supplements/products? They can rob your girls of aromas! Best of luck! -Max

Lol

Thank you so much!

I don't use any bloom booster at all. I don't even use molasses (in soil, I'm hydro now)

Do u have any suggestions on one to use that won't rob the girls of their aroma? I'm having that problem with on of my strains that is drying.

I've noticed that some strains, once cut, start to smell like hay (drying conditions are perfect). This seems to be totally strain dependent as different strains, run in the same batch, diet, light, etc will be stinky as anything, others will lose their smell and get it back during cure...and others won't get it back at all. Some never smell.

I'm coming to realize the cause is poor breeding. Glad I found this place, or I would continue to use those popular breeders and wonder why such inconsistencies. I have a Sour Diesel (supposedly) that stinks up the whole drying room with that fruity, kind of gas like smell, and others that almost have no smell at all unless you touch them and smell your fingers.

Many popular strains from the popular breeders have very low bag appeal, I guess is what I'm saying. Soil, hydro, it doesn't matter, they are just "not good."

Max Frost

Max Frost

Lol

Thank you so much!

I don't use any bloom booster at all. I don't even use molasses (in soil, I'm hydro now)

Do u have any suggestions on one to use that won't rob the girls of their aroma? I'm having that problem with on of my strains that is drying.

I've noticed that some strains, once cut, start to smell like hay (drying conditions are perfect). This seems to be totally strain dependent as different strains, run in the same batch, diet, light, etc will be stinky as anything, others will lose their smell and get it back during cure...and others won't get it back at all. Some never smell.

I'm coming to realize the cause is poor breeding. Glad I found this place, or I would continue to use those popular breeders and wonder why such inconsistencies. I have a Sour Diesel (supposedly) that stinks up the whole drying room with that fruity, kind of gas like smell, and others that almost have no smell at all unless you touch them and smell your fingers.

Many popular strains from the popular breeders have very low bag appeal, I guess is what I'm saying. Soil, hydro, it doesn't matter, they are just "not good."

Unfortunately! You're exactly right! The are allot of good ones out there tho! If you want some strain suggestions that taste/smell GREAT...lemme know! I'm sure others would be happy to make some suggestions as well! But, yep...genetics are EVERYTHING bro! (Assuming the grower has his shit dialed). Best, Max

Junk

Junk

GH Flora Duo for now.

I just got finished with my soil stuff, so I needed to keep the hydro easy for a while. I switched to hydro because I have chronic fatigue syndrome, and going up and down the stairs, and watering every other day, buying and mixing the soil and nutes. It was just too much.

Hydro is just so much easier, and i wanted to keep it that way for a bit. But I know I have to add some stuff to that mix for optimum results. I'm not sure if what GH suggests in addition is the best product (they probably only recommend their own products, I assume?)

I'm not limited to GH, I can use any system really, that's just what I'm using now...actually, the only reason I'm using it is because it's simple, and it was given to me by the hydro shop as a free sample.

I have soil stuff pretty dialed. Aside from my temps getting a little hot a couple days (90 degrees, but with co2) everything is pretty much where you want it. The rest of the year, temps, rh, etc are perfect.

This is my first hydro run, so I'm expecting some mistakes. I generally keep a test plant that I will do the nutes first, to make sure it responds ok, then I proceed with the rest, so I don't stunt them.

Top Bottom