DEA & Blackwater agents raid Culver City, California MMJ dispensary

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Employee Brian V. Birbiglia, 35, is handcuffed and questioned by DEA agents after Organica Collective, a medical marijuana dispensary, was raided by federal agents.

The action comes on the same day an appellate court in San Diego rules that federal law does not preempt California's medical pot law.

By Tami Abdollah, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
August 1, 2008

Federal agents raided a Culver City medical marijuana dispensary where they spent more than four hours this afternoon, serving a search warrant that resulted in no arrests but left the shop in disarray.

Drug Enforcement Administration agents arrived about noon at Organica Collective in the 13400 block of Washington Boulevard, said Sarah Pullen, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles office of the agency.

"Marijuana remains a controlled substance, and it is illegal under federal law to possess, dispense or cultivate marijuana in any form," Pullen said of the purpose of the raid.

The federal operation came on the same day an appellate court in San Diego ruled that federal law does not preempt the state's law allowing the use of medical marijuana -- a ruling touted by supporters of California's medical marijuana law as a significant win.

At the dispensary agents left behind trash, counters strewn with open and empty glass jars, piles of receipts thrown on the ground, upturned couch cushions, bits of marijuana on the edges of counters and an ATM with its doors torn open and emptied.

In the residents' rooms a safe was cut open, dresser drawers pulled open, and rumpled clothes and knickknacks thrown on the ground. An outdoor vegetable garden had plants uprooted, along with marijuana plants removed by the agents.

Brian V. Birbiglia, 35, sat handcuffed next to DEA agents on a tattered couch outside the dispensary for more than four hours during the raid. Next to the couch sat a box marked "DEA evidence," about a dozen black trash bags and two Trader Joe's paper bags. Some agents wore protective chest gear, black sunglasses and guns in leg holsters.

After the raid was over and he was released, Birbiglia was visibly enraged. An employee and friend of the dispensary's owner, Jeff Joseph, Birbiglia said he is a disabled former Marine who has a prescription to smoke marijuana for a foot injury.

"We follow the law," he yelled, his face red and his eyes teary. "We might as well have just got robbed by a bunch of thugs downtown."

Birbiglia found a remaining bud of marijuana that agents had missed, and he popped it into a pipe to smoke.

"They forgot this, and I'm going to smoke it," he said.

Los Angeles Councilman Bill Rosendahl was called to the scene by the owner and arrived several hours after the raid began. Rosendahl, standing outside the gate to the store's parking lot, said he was frustrated that there was nothing he could do to intervene. The dispensary straddles the boundary between Los Angeles and Culver City, Rosendahl said. Culver City police assisted federal agents at the scene.

"This is an action with the federal government, which is sad," Rosendahl said, "because these laws need to be revisited in Washington, especially the medical marijuana law. We're incarcerating people by the tens of thousands, we're destroying peoples' lives, and people who have a medical marijuana legitimacy are caught in the middle. It's a problem we need to resolve. This conflict is totally unacceptable."

Clyde Carey, 50, of Marina del Rey was at the store Friday visiting a friend when agents burst in through the locked front door, he said.

"We heard some noise outside, and then the door literally burst in, and the DEA came in in full combat gear, told everybody to get on the floor and put their hands behind their heads," Carey said. "It was like, literally, an episode of "24," when they bust in on a terrorist cell."

Carey, who said he has multiple sclerosis and has been a dispensary customer since February, stood across the street near a Starbucks with about half a dozen people who had witnessed the raid, watching agents walk in and out.

He said DEA agents searched and cuffed the roughly 25 people inside the building, which also includes four upstairs rooms. Then agents started searching the premises, removing computers, medicine and money, and using a steel cylinder battering ram to get into the upstairs bedrooms, Carey said.

Joseph, the owner, said he was at the bank when an employee called to warn him of the raid.

"I'm a fugitive at the moment," he said. Joseph said he had been speaking with his attorney but would not comment on the amount of marijuana lost. "It's going to be very expensive," he said, adding that he had "paid my taxes, every quarter since last year; I've paid my taxes."

The search warrant signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge Victor B. Kenton authorized the seizure of "controlled substances, including marijuana; derivatives thereof, and edible products containing marijuana . . . receipts, notes, ledgers, records . . . reflecting the proceeds of those activities . . . electronic equipment . . . photographs, negatives, videotapes, films, addresses and/or telephone books . . . records, documents, programs, applications. . . ."

On a Web forum for medical marijuana users, news of the raid was posted shortly after 1 p.m. with a call for protesters to "please go down with signs and friends to show your support!"

The dispensary’s MySpace page says it offers "the best of Los Angeles' medical cannabis, as well as several different types of clones. New patients receive a free gift with their first purchase! We are open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day, with free secure parking and friendly vibes!"

In addition, the section titled "Who I'd like to meet" solicits people without a "medical recommendation card" for marijuana.

"Suffer from migraines, cancer, glaucoma, depression, arthritis, nausea, anorexia, AIDS, insomnia, chronic pain or any other disorders?" the website says. "Medicinal marijuana might be for you! Come meet with our doctor and see if you qualify."

link: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-me-marijuana1-2008aug01,0,3278105.story?track=rss

Dea  blackwater agents raid culver city california mmj dispensary
H

herby

Im not positive about how the law works but from what I have been reading it is illegal for Cal Law enforcement to be involved in this. The Ca laws are very clear on that. I would rather see local law enforcement block the feds from coming ino thier jurisdiction. Since this is a lcal operation and is no operating interstate I am not sure why the feds have jurisdiction.

R

Raoul

My dispensary would be booby trapped. All you would hear are screams as the gates came down and all inside burned to ash.

S

sempervirdis

I thought B.l.a.ckwater was only operating in i.r.a.q..........!!!!! ???
Are they private or public officers ???
If they are " Private " can they still be used in a Public / Federal operation ???
Could somebody explain what they are doing in California ???
I read an article on an italian newspaper that police at airport can confiscate your laptop and keep it for 6month justified by the new procedures against terrorism...is this true ????

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

If they are " Private " can they still be used in a Public / Federal operation ???
I read an article on an italian newspaper that police at airport can confiscate your laptop and keep it for 6month justified by the new procedures against terrorism...is this true ????

Blackwater is all over now that the pentagon made a 5 year contract with them last year. They are private mercenaries so they will work with the government, corporations, or individuals.

S

Steele Savage

Un fuckin believable , that they have employed Blackwater . Now we have mercenaries gunnin for us too ....?
Unreal .... and sad how our own government has forsaken it's own citizens , waging war on tha sick ....

Makes me wanna fuggin' puke ....
Steele

S

sempervirdis

thanks for the reply guys ........
UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!
I still do not understand why they are using mercenaries to do this......pretty fucked up

P

ProGroWannabe

Un fuckin believable , that they have employed Blackwater . Now we have mercenaries gunnin for us too ....?
Unreal .... and sad how our own government has forsaken it's own citizens , waging war on tha sick ....

Makes me wanna fuggin' puke ....
Steele

I agree with everyone else here (obviously).

Steele, they'll do whatever the hell they want as long as there is money in it. It's sick, but it's a fact. IMO ALL law enforcement is this way. It's the only government system I know of that can literally KEEP whatever it confiscates. Organized, armed thievery is all it will ever be.

H

herby

Yes at the borders the border agents can do whatever they want. You have no rights until you get inside the border according to what my lawyer told me.

H

herby

Where in the article did you see anything about blackwater agents? There was nothing in writing and the photo from the Op isnt on the linked article. Did they pull that photo?

S

sempervirdis

In italy the government created a big case about homeland security to pass a law in wich its stated that police, army and intelligence can take your dna samples just on suspicion of crime or subversive behaviour ( that means, for example, that peaple demonstrating against the prime minister can be taken away and theire dna can be taken to the european dna bank ....yes u hear me right its europe wide )
Only 1 newspaper had the article published and just a handfull of journalist talked about it !

H

herby

Until the people rise up and fight for thier freedom I'm afraid we are stuck with what we got. Just try and stay below the radar.

M

mars2penny

My friends this is just a sign of what is to come, Blackwater is the now day brown shirts of yesteryear. I had wondered why they have been purchasing air craft, now it begins to come into focus, they will be used more and more against us citizens. It's in line with what McCain said about controlling and clamping down(occupying) urban areas. The tide has changed, we are no longer a free people, but at the mercy and whims of the all knowing(we know what's best)government that we(the people) have permitted to erode what few rights we had left. Remember, we have let this happen, nothing was said or done when the "bush" decided that he alone was the government, now it's too late.

M

mars2penny

We have sat on the side line and let this administration use fear to take more and of our rights without a whimper, not realizing that the laws that were promised to protect us would sooner or later be used against us. It was okay, as the perception at the time was that it was just the darker races of the country that would be affected, Arabs, Indians, Mexicans, and of course Blacks. That the mercs would be used against we the people is now reprehensible. Welcome to the world as it is, this isn't as bad as it will get, elect McCain.

M

mars2penny

This is the democracy that was exported, this is the democracy that the Iraqis have endured for the past seven years, kind of leaves a bad taste doesn't it? they only trashed a store in Cali, not a city not the infrastructure, didn't murder anyone's; son, daughter, mother or brother, just a store. it will get worst, they are here to stay. You are watching your tax dollars at work, be grateful that your government cares enough to protect you from the evils of the world, and stop whining.

B

bluegrass

This is doo doo water, picking on sick people, fuck you dea, fuck you...Black water, if they come into my house would it be legal for me to shoot them? After all they arent cops right?

Top Bottom