Debate rages over DEA raid of Los Angeles, California dispensaries

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Debate rages over DEA raid of Westside medical marijuana dispensaries
11:49 AM, February 4, 2009

A DEA raid on three Westside medical marijuana dispensaries has generated outrage from supporters, some of whom had expressed hope that the federal government would halt such actions once Barack Obama took office.

On Tuesday, three different groups of DEA officers simultaneously served search warrants to the dispensaries about noon, said Sarah Pullen, a DEA spokeswoman.

“I can’t get into details as to the probable cause behind the warrants except for the fact that they’re dealing with marijuana, which is illegal under federal law,” she said.

An employee of Beach Center Collective in Playa del Rey said DEA officers confiscated so much property that it would not be able to reopen.

“They took everything,” said the 32-year-old employee, who asked not to be named. “You name it, they took it -- right down to the television. The computer, patient files, medicine, cash in the register -- that’s it, we’re done. It’s just too bad. [Our patients] have epilepsy, cancer, MS, diabetes -- two of our patients have one leg. They’re gonna have to travel a lot farther and go to places that aren’t as safe for them.”

Representatives of Marina Caregivers of Marina del Rey and Alternative Caregivers Discount Dispensary in Venice also said their places of work shad been raided and suffered damage.

In response to the recent DEA raids, Americans for Safe Access, an organization that promotes safe and legal access to marijuana, is planning a rally for Thursday at noon in front of the downtown Los Angeles federal building.

“When a dispensary is raided by the DEA they come in and confiscate all of the patients’ medicine,” said Don Duncan, co-founder of ASA. “In some cases that means the dispensary can’t reopen. It could also result in somebody being prosecuted in federal court and spending time in jail. The city of Los Angeles is trying to regulate these facilities and this kind of federal interference makes that regulation impossible.”

Cities around the state have been dealing with complaints about the proliferation of dispensaries, with some city councils voting to prohibit new ones.

--Corina Knoll

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/02/a-rally-is-plan.html

T

t0ker

this is just a sham, i had faith in obama for saying he would end dispensary raids yet these three make that a total of 4 after he got into office right? If the gov. doesn't want to legalize or decriminalize for the public the VERY LEAST they could do is leave sick and dying people the fuck alone, it goes against everything this country claims to be.....

I

ismokepot

I never expected Obama to live up to his word regarding this matter. There is too much money tied into keeping the jails/prisons maxed out. Remove the pot convictions and they'd only be 1/2 full......

A

Arti.chokes

Did anyone REALLY expect things to change under Obama?, the writing was on the wall the second he picked Biden as his veep! In 20 years time people will wonder how the hell this guy conned 2/3's of the US electorate in the same way many of us in the UK do about that bitch Mrs Thatcher. My 2¢. Arti

T

t0ker

what a huge sack of shit i mean obama mentioned in several peaches he was a avid marijuana user in his younger days and then he gets into office and at the looks of it the situation on which he promised he would do away with gets even worse? talk about a hypocrite!

T

t0ker

as quoted by the beatles:

You say you want a revolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
You tell me that it's evolution
Well, you know
We all want to change the world
But when you talk about destruction- Obama?
Don't you know that you can count me out
Don't you know it's gonna be all right
all right, all right

J

jdubz206

here's an update on this story from ASA:

White House Responds to DEA Raids, Vows to End Policy

PRESS RELEASE
Americans for Safe Access
For Immediate Release: February 5, 2009

White House Responds to DEA Raids, Vows to End Policy

Washington, DC -- White House Spokesman Nick Shapiro reacted to new Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) raids at medical cannabis collectives in California, saying he expects President Obama to end that policy when a new DEA Administrator is seated. “The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws, and as he continues to appoint senior leadership to fill out the ranks of the federal government, he expects them to review their policies with that in mind," Shapiro said.

The statement puts the Department of Justice and the DEA on notice of a change in federal policy, and indicates that continued raids may not be tolerated. "Americans for Safe Access acknowledges President Obama's continued pledge to end federal interference with state medical marijuana laws," commented Caren Woodson, Director of Government Affairs. “We look forward to working with the President and his Administration to enact long-term policies that support safe and legal access to cannabis for therapeutic use and research." Americans for Safe Access (ASA), the nation’s largest medical cannabis advocacy organization, sent policy recommendations aimed at harmonizing federal and state law and encouraging research to President Obama and Congress earlier this year.

Shapiro’s statement followed a groundswell of public opposition and critical media following a DEA raid in South Lake Tahoe on January 22 and four simultaneous raids in the Los Angeles area on Tuesday. ASA members and other medical cannabis advocates responded with thousands of phone calls to the White House and an Internet campaign on the President’s web site, Change.gov, asking the President to fulfill his repeated campaign pledges to not use federal resources to interfere with state medical marijuana laws.

Medical cannabis raids intensified under former President George W. Bush, with more than one hundred paramilitary style raids, new indictments, and letters threatening property owners who rent to medical cannabis facilities with prosecution and civil asset forfeiture. "More than 72 million people live in a state that has enacted laws that authorize the limited use and distribution of cannabis for therapeutic use," Woodson said. "The White House's comments have provided patients and their loved ones a sense of relief, and we hope the President and our Attorney General will keep this pledge in mind when considering appointments to the DEA and Office of National Drug Control Policy."

----------

looks like obama is going to step up and end this bs :rock

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
wow......pretty quick to discount obama gang. hasn't even been three weeks.......and y'all think those raids weren't planned before he took office??? It takes TIME.....and alot of it......we are fighting decades of prohibition........just the fact the our pres went on national television and admitted he was wrong shows me that he is NOTHING like our previous presidents who's ego got in the way.

change takes time.....
bf

I

ismokepot

I'm curious when the new DEA administrator will be appointed?

Rom420

Rom420

Very glad to hear of their response. Let's hope they keep their word.

S

Shack

Premium Member
Supporter
I say disband the DEA , they're corrupt as hell.

V

viper1951

Really you guys really didn't believe Obama promise's ? He's a politician that just means he a professional Liar heck he started his re-election the moment he was elected he saying now that it was going to take more then one term in office to do this job he's no better then a glorified lawer he has backed out of every promise he made, go figure !now he has a great big box of money he is giving to all his friends and no way to support it, oh wait it's going to be more taxes you can damn well bet we are going to take it in the ass, thats for sure .the only politician you can believe is a dead one and I wouldn't put is pass them to lie to you then . in real life it's all about them they just need to lie enough to you to get you to vote for them . after that you are forgotten good luck dreaming guys

O

OGrower707

The police are the real criminals, In LA and all over southern cali patients constantly get mistreated. I was in my buddys medical cannabis shop in Reseda a little before christmas, to my suprise..I look up at the security cameras while Im medicating and watching the plazma in the back room...I see sketchy looking guys in police jackets taking pictures of all patients coming in and out of the clinic..THE COPS ARE THE CRIMINALS,...there going out and doing full on investigations on cannabis clubs with no permission or knowledge of the feds...these cops deserve to rot in hell for taking time out of there regular work day to deprive sick patients of medicine...for all you pig faced lurkers on this site, get a life and stop criminalizing medical patients you already criminalize the plants for non medical reasoning then you decide to give even harsher treatment to patients ....you suckkkkkk

V

viper1951

There's only one promise that Obama has kept and that is to split up the loot with his friends

B

budkatz

Certainly these raids continuing pisses me off, but Obama has the weight of the world on his shoulders right now (meaning I think it probably wasn't the number 1 item on the agenda when he took office). Let's hope he isn't like all of these other weasels out there. The statement referenced above (by Nick Shapiro) makes me somewhat hopeful.

D

DragonChaser

There was a time when the States ALLOWED the federal government to exist. States rights were everything. Then the Fed's learned how to manipulate the states... threatening to withhold federal highway funds etc.

As a Democrat... Obama knows this and has clearly stated that he believes in State's Rights. I for one am going to hold a positive attitude until I see him betray his own words through action or inaction.

Hold a positive vibe and see what can happen :D

dragon

P

Purple Urkel

Obama vowed yesterday to stop the raids on the pot clubs

U

upnorthclones

People I hope you realize sooner than later than Obama is a politician, out for himself and his closest partners in crime FIRST and foremost.

I thought that common sense told us there are some types that cannot be trusted, like Lawyers and Politicians.

What you really wanted was Will Smith, you just didn't realize it. It's called the "MTV Effect" and it is what got Obama elected. He fit the stereotype of cool, hip black guy and won a popularity contest by telling you what you wanted to hear.

It was pretty much a massive advertising campaign. Think about it, you heard what you wanted to hear because they know how people think and how to sell them anything. Bush's job was to make the next guy look good no matter who they chose. Don't believe me? Look up some recent videos of Bush giving talks in the closing days of his term. The guy sounds like a freaking college graduate should sound. Totally different person from the idiot we had to deal with.

I can't wait to write a book some day about the way America got scammed so hardcore, and how we deserved it too. Like it or not the biggest reality check of your lives is coming right up!

Top Bottom